Old 09-26-2010, 05:06 AM   #1126
Mariner55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Trax-luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden
Guys,
I once ran across a whole bunch of Tiger pics showing luggage, primarily Trax, but I have searched and searched with very little success. Anyone know the place I'm talking about and have the link?
Thanks,
Rod
twistedthrottle.com twistedthrottle.com's 2007 triumph tiger 1050
Mariner55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #1127
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopydawg
Any of you Tiger 1050 owners in this thread experience stator failures? If so, what was your cause? thx
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...r-upgrade.html

Take a look at this on the S3 forum over there. There are several thread on replacing the RR and some talk about stators too. I don't believe Tiger 1050's have had the issues that S3 and Daytona's have had. You can do some simple checks using a voltmeter to see if you have any problems. You have to pull the cable from the stator and RR. Measure resistance through the stator and also output while running. DeCosse has covered the topic from end to end.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #1128
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,878
My stator went pear-shaped at about 55K miles -- when I pulled it, the insulation near the cable leaving the unit was pretty charred . . . not sure what caused it, but it was abvisou -- I replace the stator and the R/R, as I've never had one die without seriously wounding the other.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #1129
Tubulchain
odaat, atgatt

Oddometer: 199
Triple smooth

Rode a 2010 Multi this weekend. Wow nice bike. Holy Smoke does that thing move. I must say that the Tiger more than holds it own in the engine department. That triple is character and silky smoothness. This is subjective but more comfortable riding position also.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #1130
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015
My stator went pear-shaped at about 55K miles -- when I pulled it, the insulation near the cable leaving the unit was pretty charred . . . not sure what caused it, but it was abvisou -- I replace the stator and the R/R, as I've never had one die without seriously wounding the other.
I have almost 70,000 miles on my 07 Tiger and the stator still checks OK. I have to be honest though, I picked one up off Fleabay off an 08 motor for dirt cheap and it's sitting on the shelf . It'll get changed soon.

I'm ready to move on to another motorcycle. I love the Tiger, but I really hate chains. She's been bulletproof so far, tons of mile in 2 1/2 years, tons of smiles, however, I NEED a shaft drive bike. I'm tired of changing chains every 6 months. I'm holding on hoping BMW puts the new motor in the R1200R...hope so, then I know I'll have another R in the garage. Then I think I'll buy a used R1150RT for my 2-up bike and an older KLR for my ADV riding.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #1131
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamming
I have almost 70,000 miles on my 07 Tiger and the stator still checks OK. I have to be honest though, I picked one up off Fleabay off an 08 motor for dirt cheap and it's sitting on the shelf . It'll get changed soon.

I'm ready to move on to another motorcycle. I love the Tiger, but I really hate chains. She's been bulletproof so far, tons of mile in 2 1/2 years, tons of smiles, however, I NEED a shaft drive bike. I'm tired of changing chains every 6 months. I'm holding on hoping BMW puts the new motor in the R1200R...hope so, then I know I'll have another R in the garage. Then I think I'll buy a used R1150RT for my 2-up bike and an older KLR for my ADV riding.

70,000 miles in 2.5 years? Whoa... lucky you!

You've been replacing chains on average every 14k? Do you just do it at the 6-month mark, or are you replacing them only when the chain or sprocket wear warrants it?

I ask, because I'm at 20k miles on the first chain & sprockets. I checked both a couple weeks ago, and they were OK. (Chain didn't exceed 320 mm for 20 links, and sprockets were not too worn.) I'll probably replace C&S at the 24k maintenance, regardless. Just wanted to get your opinion.

Jesse

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #1132
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood
70,000 miles in 2.5 years? Whoa... lucky you!

You've been replacing chains on average every 14k? Do you just do it at the 6-month mark, or are you replacing them only when the chain or sprocket wear warrants it?

I ask, because I'm at 20k miles on the first chain & sprockets. I checked both a couple weeks ago, and they were OK. (Chain didn't exceed 320 mm for 20 links, and sprockets were not too worn.) I'll probably replace C&S at the 24k maintenance, regardless. Just wanted to get your opinion.

Jesse
At 17,000-18,000 I order the parts and change them. I could get more mileage, but I do a 100+ miles a day on my commute so I can't afford a failure. I try to take good care of the chain, but sometimes I slip. We don't see much rain here so I have that going for me. I always adjust when she needs it. Now that I'm down to one bike the Tiger sees ALL the miles. The Tiger is my transportation. I have to have her running.

I love the bike, but she doesn't fit the mission profile now. Besides I buy em, rack up the miles, sell em and start over. It's been my MO for 30 years now. Most of that 30 years was on BMW's. Felt like a change then, feel like a change now.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:34 AM   #1133
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamming
At 17,000-18,000 I order the parts and change them. I could get more mileage, but I do a 100+ miles a day on my commute so I can't afford a failure. I try to take good care of the chain, but sometimes I slip. We don't see much rain here so I have that going for me. I always adjust when she needs it. Now that I'm down to one bike the Tiger sees ALL the miles. The Tiger is my transportation. I have to have her running.

I love the bike, but she doesn't fit the mission profile now. Besides I buy em, rack up the miles, sell em and start over. It's been my MO for 30 years now. Most of that 30 years was on BMW's. Felt like a change then, feel like a change now.
I just replaced mine at right on 21K. The rear sprocket did not need to be replaced and the front could have been flipped over for another 20K if I were that cheap. I won't be changing sprockets in 20K again, maybe the front. I took the chain off and hung about forty pounds on it. When I measured 20 links it was well under spec. IMO, I ride it hard too and commuting is really easy on chains and sprockets compared to twisty riding. I guess what I'm saying is that IMO, you are changing your chains way too much. Also, IMO, unless you are a MAJOR hooligan, a chain failure is right up there with winning the lottery and getting hit with lightning twice all at the same time.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #1134
chasdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I had an 06 Tiger that I just traded in for a new 2010 Tiger and my chain lasted 24k before it needed it. It started showing signs of stretching faster at about 21k and there was no doubt when it was time to replace it . It all of a sudden was tight in spots and way loose at other spots in the wheel revolution making the bike lurch along . It felt very uneven and felt like it may be the engine but once I replaced the chain and sprokets it was back to its silky smooth running again.
chasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #1135
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
...give that "new bike" feeling.

So the old Pirelli Diablo Stradas were worn out and squared off. I was noticing that the handling of the bike was getting a little spooky. Bike didn't want to turn in and once you got it turned in, it didn't want to maintain a stable lean angle. Kept having to make lots of midcorner inputs to keep the thing from falling in or standing up.

Amazing what a difference a new set of tires makes. Trying out the Pilot Road 2's this time. At least now with new non-square tires, the handling spookiness has gone away.

Interested to hear your thoughts, and anyone else's, regarding the Pilot Road 2's.

My new '07 came with PR 1's, I liked them until they were toast at about 7500 miles. Replacements were $550 installed so I decided to try Dunlop Roadsmarts ($360/ pair installed). I'm now having to replace my 2nd pair of Roadsmarts at 16043 miles. Great tires but short lifespan. I mostly ride lousy Colorado canyons (you know, twisty, fast, no scenery) and my front tire wears out before the rear. I'd really like to find a grippy tire like the Roadsmarts with longer life...

4484 miles on this pair and the front tire is toast. I know exactly what you mean by "spooky handling" at this point. The front tires on my bike get a " V " shape in them and handling goes to hell. The rear is to the wear bars on the sides and flatted in the center...

Deano955 screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 08:26 PM
Deano955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:20 AM   #1136
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
The PR2 are a good tyre. Just replacing mine this week after 15,500 Km. Rear well squared, 2.25mm left on the front. Trying Pirelli Angel ST.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:26 AM   #1137
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Deano,
Got the exact same pic's of an FJR, but put a Strada on the front RS rear when I moved to the Tiger. It helped with the wear pattern but not mileage. Went to Angels in pursuit of that "Extended Mileage" and they were toast at 4.3K. IMO, if you hit the twisties excellent mileage is 5K. Going to PR2's next time, cost a bit more but last a bit longer for me.
Rod
Old 10-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #1138
MGN54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Damn deano955, can't you clean up those wheels and chain/sprocket before posting here? What you use on that chain anyway? It's spotless back there!

Test rode a 1050 a few weeks ago. Liked it. Liked it alot. Got to decide if I want to sell my VFR to move to one. I think I do. LIke the riding position and availability of hard luggage. Very nice!
MGN54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #1139
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGN54
Damn deano955, can't you clean up those wheels and chain/sprocket before posting here? What you use on that chain anyway? It's spotless back there!

Test rode a 1050 a few weeks ago. Liked it. Liked it alot. Got to decide if I want to sell my VFR to move to one. I think I do. LIke the riding position and availability of hard luggage. Very nice!
Sorry man, looks like I missed a spot....
I use Chain Wax lube and Dawn dishwashing liquid, scrub brush for cleaning. Works well.

I like the Tiger a lot too! It's for sale if you want to save over new.....
Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #1140
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Steering Head Bearings????

This probably should go to some other forum, but this thread seems to have dedicated Tiger tweekers on it.

Does anyone know if the 1050 has ball or caged ball bearings????
Is there any other alternatives to the Triumph Headstock Bearing Wrench?

My steering head passes the "check" test but the feel isn't as good as other bikes where I put in roller bearings. On the wrench I'm just seeing if I can find something before trying to make one out of an old socket.