Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #31
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser
buzzkill...

Not a fan of the blue, but I'm not going to let a color stop me. but the mentioning the wrongs carbs + upside down (are you kidding?!) valve covers makes me think.
should I stay away? its going for $3250.

datchew ! - that isnt yours, right? anybody know that guy?

Not mine dude. No idea who that guy is... just saw it and thought you'd like help in your search.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #32
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,580
its a looker alright.

hows the bike transporting network coming along? I should check out that thread....
Bloodweiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #33
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

why hasn't anyone spoken up yet? Somebody out there has a 75/5 they're not using too much, why not pass it on? You won't find a better home than for your ol lady than me.

Come one! spread the wealth!

Dude. I waited for over a year... and almost got crazy enough to drive up to canada or california to get one. That seems to be where they're all hiding.

Finally, I "settled" for a /2.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #34
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Torpedoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
Please explain and show pictures ??? I would hate to make you mad.

Marc
Look at the mufflers on JTs and Stephen's. See how they taper? Now look at all the others.
BTW, for all the correctness police, those two are the closest to correct in this thread. These all appear to be actual riders. Some things are bound to be changed over forty years. Some things are also NLA. You want to ride or search for parts.
RocketJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #35
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,035
It's true that the bike you found could be made really nice. That's not the point!

More to the point is not paying too much for the bike. Along with that goes the decision of what you can or are willing to fix. Lots of times I got something for a really good deal but didn't know it needed some major work.
And even though it was still a good deal, I hadn't planned on the added expense or work. I've found that when getting a vehicle that needs work, to get it for the best price you can to help offset the hidden expenses you'll undoubtedly run into.

You're in a dangerous position: when you want something really really bad, it's very easy to make an emotional decision rather than a rational one. In this case we're telling you that $3200 can get you a lot better bike than that one. Those of us who have worked on and seen these bikes see signs with that one that there could be more wrong with it than is apparent.

You might just have to trust us on this one till you come up to speed. There may be nothing else going on with the bike than the incorrect mufflers (those mounted will work just fine, but part of the point of having a /5 is having the correct period stuff on it - it's the look as well as the ride), inverted incorrect valve covers and funky incorrect carbs. But then again...are you ready to spend $600 getting the trans rebuilt or the final drive?

And it's not all that much to correct those items - perhaps only five or six hundred bucks but could be $700. Now you're up to $4K. And that's without anything else needing work, which I wouldn't count on.

Me, if I were looking and it was in my area, I wouldn't take the time to check it out because it's priced too high for what I see. It doesn't look that great, doesn't catch my eye and doesn't have a "complete" look about it. It looks like a project with a "very nice runner" price tag.

So I'm not saying it couldn't be turned into a nice bike - they all can. You should see some of the corroded wrecks that have been resurrected. But you were asking if it was worthwhile getting that one, and from the description and photos, I'd say it's over priced.
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #36
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,024
You're not in California, by any chance?

This looked like a pretty good price to me- higher miles, but that's fine for a bike that will get ridden, and not just shown off. $2500, 75,000 miles, 1972.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org

I could buy it and ride it out to you next summer. . . .

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #37
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,332
OK, I'll play.

Here's my first bike. In my son's capable hands now, gave it to him on his 21st birthday:

Imola Silver toaster with 2 into 1 exhaust.

Here's my last one. Liberated from my brother after sitting un-loved in his garage for ten years. Put right, then (what was I thinking) sold to a great guy from NZ to spend his "golden years" on. He was "tired of working on Nortons. I want a bike I can RIDE."
\

Don't have a pic of it with the solo seat and the OEM leather Police bags, but it looked nice. All original btw.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #38
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJ
Look at the mufflers on JTs and Stephen's. See how they taper? Now look at all the others.
BTW, for all the correctness police, those two are the closest to correct in this thread. These all appear to be actual riders. Some things are bound to be changed over forty years. Some things are also NLA. You want to ride or search for parts.
Thanks Rocket,

I like to learn everything I can about these things. The PO told me mine had some type of special exhaust on it that was real rare. I guess that must be the very rare cobbed up not stock exhaust. But this one is for riding and not for show.

Thanks.
Marc
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #39
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
This looked like a pretty good price to me- higher miles, but that's fine for a bike that will get ridden, and not just shown off. $2500, 75,000 miles, 1972.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org

I could buy it and ride it out to you next summer. . . .

damn! whoever said bikes are more expensive on the west coast was crazy.
anyone use shipmasters before? I got quoted $190 from seatle to my door, seems too good to be true, probably close to that for san fran to here. What do ya'll think about this one?

or this one? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/494980600.html
Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #40
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJ
RJ's entirely correct regarding the bikes that are the most correct. One other thing to add is that the original /5 mufflers were actually a bit shorter than the ones you find now, which only really makes a difference if you are putting them on a SWB bike; the Kiehan's in stainless are the closest I have found to the original look/spec.

If you look at the pics of my bike you'll notice the following:
  • Mufflers are not correct; they are /6 style (but they are BMW.)
  • Mirrors are not correct; the '72 actually came w/ a left bar mounted mirror only.
  • Bars are not correct; the US bars originally came on the bike, and the ones currently installed are "low sidecar bars" from Flanders.
  • Seat is not correct; self explanatory.
  • Petcocks are not correct; the /5's originally had the type that comes straight down.
  • High Life cap not correct; this is my signature addition.
  • Either tank could be considered correct, although I would say the Tosater tank is the "most" correct.
Beyond the items above, most of the rest should be pretty correct, and actually original, down to the paint of the tank(s) and fenders. You can't see it well in the pics, but the shocks are the originals w/ the silver springs (but have since been replaced w/ IKONs.)

Back to the original point of the thread, if it were me, I'd keep looking for something that was at least mechanically original w/ the main pieces--tank, headlight bucket, etc--correct as well.

kix

it makes everything better.
kixtand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #41
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind

I've posted this one before. Just picked up a large tank for it, no good reason just like those too. I've a flyscreen and a corbin gunfighter on it at present for the cafe look.

Which mufflers are you using, as they appear to be the correct length?

it makes everything better.
kixtand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #42
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
damn! whoever said bikes are more expensive on the west coast was crazy.
anyone use shipmasters before? I got quoted $190 from seatle to my door, seems too good to be true, probably close to that for san fran to here. What do ya'll think about this one?

or this one? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/494980600.html
It's costing me $200+ just to ship a damn fairing!

crazydrummerdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #43
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixtand
Which mufflers are you using, as they appear to be the correct length?
Kix, Those are staintune's. Real bonus, they came on the bike.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #44
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

ROMA! I think you should sell me your bike on the account of we're practically neighbors (i live in poestenkill) and I have 0 bikes and you have at least 2.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #45
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
I know where there's a non running R60/5 for sale in S. Texas. It can probably be had for $1500, along with a couple boxes of parts.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote