Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2007, 02:22 AM   #31
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,301
your dad is a xmas ornament loved that.. you have the gift of telling a good story !

Now... where is the pictures ??

Lar
Old 12-24-2007, 09:35 AM   #32
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftWest
SNIP.... I just blame it on poor genealogy, though...!
your'e a hoot, Drifty, jus like the ol ornament...
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #33
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Drifty...you are a very gifted yarn spinner and tale teller...
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #34
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
cool.....

Drift.... ya gotta admit...... when you are telling your Grandkids about your travels on the Back of a FLUORESCENT ORANGE PC800 you had better keep the pics from your dads thread....... cos otherwise they will never believe you!

That is also the coolest ugly bike i ever saw!
Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #35
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynbiker
Drift.... ya gotta admit...... when you are telling your Grandkids about your travels on the Back of a FLUORESCENT ORANGE PC800 you had better keep the pics from your dads thread....... cos otherwise they will never believe you!

That is also the coolest ugly bike i ever saw!
And the ugliest cool bike.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #36
Amazingly Katy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hola Drifter, I can't wait to read some more of your stuff!

Woody Allen
Amazingly Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #37
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Find Report

Perhaps as a young man you would not like the comparison with your father as you would want to become a man of your own. I can understand that everyone is unique. your writing is compelling. you ornamet and thanksgiving are wonderful unique comparisons. You have dialog that bring me along with you on the trip. Best of all we learn what you are thinking and observing. I'm enjoying the ride!
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #38
DriftWest OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Day Three

DAY THREE

(Sorry for the late post; I was on a short vacation, and the internet on our computer crashed. I was also procrastinating, an activity at which I am truly gifted.)

I really must apologize for referring to my father as a dimwit. He is actually quite a bright man; you have to be, in order to get a decent-paying job, big fat mansion, and two fairly well-adjusted children (he has three total, but David is a little narcissistic.)

And, although he can be a little A.D.D. (that may be the biggest understatement ever), he is a great parent. Most people do not understand how amazing it is to ride on the back of a motorcycle.

We woke up in York, Nebraska and immediately began riding West. Bruce and Chip needed too go back home, so they left us at the hotel.

While Dad and I were riding along; a school bus that was painted completely purple. White drawings festooned the surface, although I could not tell what the heck they were.

We pulled into the parking lot, and I saw that the bus was, in fact, owned by a group of people usually called ‘Pot-Smoking Hippies’.

“I’ve had plenty of people take pictures of my rig,” he said, making a gesture towards Cack. “Do you mind if I take a picture of yours?”

The four men smiled and agreed. My dad began striking up a conversation, while I took out the camera, and began snapping away. Dad later chastised me for my poor photography, but I still believe that most good photographers are NOT one the back of a motorcycle, flying along at sixty miles per hour.

We learned that the hippies were heading to the Burning Man encampment out in Nevada. They had run into some troubles with their alternator, and were temporarily held back in this parking lot.

This is the Hippie Bus:

Eventually we left the men to figure out their own problems; we had to hurry into Wyoming. I peed off of a cement wall, twenty feet in the air, and almost fell off. Just from walking through the grass, a nice grasshopper paste was beginning to form on my boots.

Just before we entered Wyoming, Dad and I stopped for lunch at a Subway. Inside, four old ladies were eating their sandwiches, wearing cliché white gloves. I’m not sure if it was Sunday, but they looked as if they were dressed for church.

I was anticipating their reaction to the ‘big bad biker’ aura created by my dad. On television, White Glove Society members usually do not get along well with Hell’s Angels.

This imagined reaction is completely false. These ladies were quite possibly the more excited by the prospect of our trip than anyone else. I realize now that the trip’s admirers are largely females over the age of sixty.

Some Random Scenes from Nebraska:

Eventually the temperature* reached the 100 degree mark; the first time I have ever been so hot.

*The temperature is measured by the thermometer of our deceased hot tub, which is cable tied to the spot where a Speedometer used to be.

We decided to stop riding when in Cheyenne, Wyoming (the capital of the second flattest state in the US). We looked around for a campsite with a slightly rustic feel, but to no avail.

So, we ended up in a hotel called ‘The Plains’. It had been around for a long time, and gave me a decent taste of what the Old West may have been like, plus a gift shop. It was done up with loads of cowboys and Indian decorations.

After eating in this hotel’s restaurant, Dad and I walked around downtown. There was a music festival going on for a lady who had died. We went up on a bridge and watched some trains take off.

That was one of the best nights of my life, simply because of the carefree feeling it had.

The Cheyenne State Capitol:

Some Giant Painted Cowboy Boots:

DriftWest screwed with this post 12-30-2007 at 05:36 PM
DriftWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #39
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,014
I had read Vermin's account of this adventure months ago. I'm looking forward to more of yours.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #40
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Great story. Like father like son

I hope I can take my boys on a trip like this someday. One is 6 and one is 3, so I guess I have lots of time to plan.

Cheers, D-Mac
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #41
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
DAY THREE
SNIP....and two fairly well-adjusted children (he has three total, but David is a little narcissistic.)...SNIP...
Good thing the 'ol boy has spares, you know, in case one falls off...
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #42
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,541
Thanks Drift . . . . .

Thanks for giving the Cack West trip new perspective.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #43
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Oddometer: 592
Your next assignment, Drift

Is to complete your story. Keep it up!

Then ask Vermin to get you a couple of books:

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Another Roadside Attraction
the Dharma Bums

Then go for another ride to the Northwest. Write your report here at ADV about what you find, see, and who you meet.

Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan ... my internal dialogue was a full on harangue. The Buddhist call this dialogue “the monkey mind” well my monkey mind had a brand new tire in its cage and was whippin’ it around... -Vermin, The Grapes of Rat
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #44
Dunkydoda
n00b

Oddometer: 4
C'mon Drifter keep going!

Quit procrastinating, ditch the homework, tell mom you're way too busy to stack or even open the dishwasher.

The story needs tellin. Every beginning needs an ending.
Dunkydoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #45
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkydoda
Quit procrastinating, ditch the homework, tell mom you're way too busy to stack or even open the dishwasher.

The story needs tellin. Every beginning needs an ending.
I agree with Dunkydoda. Back to the story.

Quote:
We decided to stop riding when in Cheyenne, Wyoming (the capital of the second flattest state in the US). We looked around for a campsite with a slightly rustic feel, but to no avail.
If you truly believe that Wyoming is the second flattest state in the US, you need to return. Soon.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote