Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 04:03 AM   #1
Matt OP
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,823
Australian ADV training weekend, Tom Groggin.

I have wanted to do one of these training weekends since I got the big pig.
They have had good reports on ADV and so I committed to attend, paid my $$ and was sent a "mud map" (hand drawn map with directions).

A post was running on the OZ forum asking who was going and it was here I met KTMPaul who is also from Sydney and was planning to take his bike (KTM 640) down on a trailer.
For those of you not from around here Tom Groggin(TG) is approx 570 km from Sydney and takes around 7 hours.
As I didn't have much time off work I PM'd KTMPaul and a deal was struck getting us down to TG in his work van.

Early Friday morning......well not that early, we set off on our "road trip" to Australia's Snowy Mountains.

A leisurely trip down to TG saw us arrive around 6pm with plenty of daylight left to get the tents up.

The weather was looking ominous......

The bikes unloaded and we had dinner before the flies carried our sausages away!

Saturday morning was misty we weren't sure what would be in store for us.....either the weather or the course!
As it turned out the weather was hot in the morning and we were all soon sweating under our jackets.
A quick briefing and we rode a short distance to a paddock where we would spend a large part of the day learning new tricks.....and how to fall off.

Our instructor was Steve, a typical country Aussie bloke. A real dry sense of humour and more riding talent than most of us in the group put together.
He had us doing the basics for most of the morning, standing on the pegs, steering with the pegs, braking (locking up the back and front....an unusual sensation for a road rider).

After a busy morning Steve took us for a short ride around the property and we then went back to camp and collapsed! Well I did anyway. The heat and the concentration took it out of me and showed me how bloody unfit I am!

After lunch there was a rain shower and it cooled off a lot and made it much more comfortable.
The sky was promising more rain but it was only a short shower.

A few more drills and spills......you know who you are, and we had another ride around this amazing property before heading back to camp for the day.

Sunday was misty again but luckily for us there was a little cloud cover that kept the heat away.

I went for a walk before breakfast down to the river, which a few of us had cooled off in after yesterdays activity.

The motley crew before leaving for Sunday's challenges.

Left to right: Scott "scottw", Paul "prestonpaul", Paul "KTMPaul", Peter "PeterWebtrax", me "Matt", Dean and Kylie ( not on ADV yet as far as I know) and Steve "Mental" our instructer.

First casualty of the day was me! I came unstuck on a red clay track and the pig decided to have a lie down. I forgot to take a photo in all the excitement. Next down was Kylie on the WeeStrom with Tourances......not a good combo on the red clay.

From there we went to our first water crossing. Not too challenging for most of you but enough for us.
The water was pretty clear so we could see the rocks......I dont know if that was a good thing or not?
The exit from the crossing was slippery and got worse the more we went up it. A few slides and we had all been "christened"

We then went over to the MX track and did some hills, and stalling/starting exercises on a small slope before we practised on a larger hill.

Lunch was calling and afterwards we went on a longer ride around the property with a few new challenges thrown in.

Even Steve wasn't game to try this one on his XT600.

A hill that we all felt quite a challenge was made to look pretty small when Steve wheelied up it.......bastard.

It was then back to camp and packing up for most of the group ( we were staying overnight).

Scotts R100 GS with HPN tank.

Back to civilisation.

Another swim and a play with the gorgeous puppy's.

A great weekend and a few new skills learnt.
Good to put some faces to names.
Dean and Kylie, enjoy your trip.
Great to meet you all guys and girls, hopefully catch up on a slippery trail soon.
Please post any photo's you may have of the weekend.

Matt

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,306
Looks like fun weekend!! Thanks for the action shots
Old 12-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,984
Looks like a hoot, must be time for me to do another course soon.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
PeterWebtrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Ok, I'll fill in a few gaps.

Unfortunately had quite a few blurry photos. That's what happens when you get a BMW rider to take your shots;-)

I headed down from Canberra at 5am on Sat. Raining most of the way until I passed Thredbo when it magically dried up. Very thankful as the road down to Tom Groggin would not have been nice when wet.

Arrived a little late, but starting time seemed to be 'flexible'.

This is about 4pm on Saturday, just after the thunderstorm, learning how to do 'tight turns' on slippery grass and greasy mud.

Starting to get the hang of KaTie's trigger throttle on the exit.

Pride cometh before the fall...

Next time round, nailed the exit beautifully, then somehow managed to lose the front half way up the straight. Face planted into the mud. Still don't know what I did wrong.

Luckily no cameras around.

At least I then found out that I could lift big KaTie up on my own. Not sure I could do it fully loaded, but good to know.

Confidence restored, back in full flight.

Matt in full flight.

KTM_Paul

This is starting to be FUN...

2 Pauls and Scott waiting for stragglers to arrive.

Here endeth Saturday...
PeterWebtrax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
GazzaFish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Where's Bacon? I didnt see any photo's of Bacon? I'm sure he was there......
GazzaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
PeterWebtrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday we got into the 'how to handle hills' bit.

Starting with 'how to roll over the top without taking off'.

A few of us 'accidentally' explored the whoop-de-do's on the motocross track.

Dean dropped his pig so that gave Steve an opportunity to show correct lifting technique.

How to restart on the side of a hill. "When's that damn clutch going to take up..."

KTM_Paul demonstrates turning the bike around on a hill.

The thought of wrestling 200Kg around on the side of a hill scared me s..tless, but it was surprisingly easy if you followed the correct procedure.

Kylie almost there with the WeeStrom. Gutsy lady that one.

PrestonPaul makes it look easy.

ScottW caresses Big Bertha to entice her large frame around instead of sliding down the hill.

Relaxing on the trail ride, beautiful views.

Scott cruising up the big hill that had us all worried.

The real brave ones then continued up to Mt Pinobar.

Steve demonstrating the 'approved' stopping technique.

The view from as high as I got.

The last two (father and son) to come back down from the top. Young Ben had an off at the top, broke his clutch lever and came all the way down in neutral. Judging by the look of terror on the other guys' faces that was also one gutsy effort.

That's my summary. The rest of the photo's are over at:
http://gallery.webtrax.com.au/20071202_Tom_Groggin
if you're interested.

I had a ball, thoroughly recommend the course to anyone on a big chookie. I feel far more comfortable on big KaTie now than I ever did on Little Suzie.

Cheers
Peter
Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
PeterWebtrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaFish
I ended up with Bacon. I think Matt has a photo of him perched on top of KaTie.

I'll start up another thread to find someone leaving Canberra to continue his journey.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
KTM_Paul
Sans KTM

Oddometer: 1,389
Nice reports guys and thanks for putting up a shot of me picking my nose matt!
I had a great weekend and the company of you all made it better!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,392
Well done Matt - off to the 08 OCR
Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
scottw
Steppe Rider

Oddometer: 291
Laugh

Matt and Peter, great shots! Though somehow the hills never look as steep on the computer screen.

It was a great weekend, though I'm still healing bruises and blisters, and I never even fell off! Good to meet and ride with some fellow ADVRiders. Thanks for all the hospitality and good conversation.

To anyone thinking about these courses, go for it. You will learn a lot about riding a big ADV bike on a variety of offroad terrain. Steve is a great instructor and I've heard good things about the other instructors they use as well, so it's hard to go wrong.

Scott
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw
Matt and Peter, great shots! Though somehow the hills never look as steep on the computer screen.

It was a great weekend, though I'm still healing bruises and blisters, and I never even fell off! Good to meet and ride with some fellow ADVRiders. Thanks for all the hospitality and good conversation.

To anyone thinking about these courses, go for it. You will learn a lot about riding a big ADV bike on a variety of offroad terrain. Steve is a great instructor and I've heard good things about the other instructors they use as well, so it's hard to go wrong.

Scott

Anyone have any idea when the next one is, preferable in or near Mexico??
Old 12-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #12
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaFish
Here he is!
prestonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #13
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,450
I for one had a great weekend, learned heaps, and made some new friends. How can you go wrong? If anyone is thinking about doing this course jump in and do it. It is great value and you won't be dissapointed. Steve and Lyndon were also talking about running some adventure bike tours in the near future so watch out for those. They are just waiting for their new Tenere's to arrive! Keep an eye out here for the next course.
I left from Lalor at 7:00 to go to Tom Groggin on Friday the 31st.
I traveled via Yea, Mansfield, Whitfield, then via dirt to Dandongadale, then back on the black stuff to Myrtleford, Yackandandah, Taangambalanga, Tallangatta, Corryong, Khancoban, and finaly arriving at Tom Groggin around 4:30 PM After setting up camp I made a round trip to Threadbo so I could get some phone signal and let my Wife know I was safe and hadn't fallen off the side of a mountain.
The batteries in my camera went flat on the first day so I don't have too many photos but here is a sample of what i did get:
On the road Near Whitfield

The View from Powers Lookout. I saw a red KLR650 and a sports bike coming out of the lookout as I was going in. I am sure the KLR had an ADV sticker, Anyone like to own up?

And again

The mighty 640 loaded up at the Powers Lookout car park

The view from the Rose River Road between Whitfieldand and Dandongadale

The Lake Buffalo wall which the road runs over

Lake Buffalo

Murray 1 power station

And again

WooHoo, I made it!

The track in to the station

My camp site

The Station House

Threadbo Village

Sitting ducks, all in a row.

Steve (Mental) showing us how it is done

Puppies. They had quite the fan club!

I left to go home on the Sunday night. The plan was to get out of the mountains and camp at Colac Colac at a nice caravan park I saw on the way in and then make the treck home on Monday. I refueled at Corryong and was feeling good so decided to press on. I stopped for the night in Wodonga and paid $20.00 for the pleasure of listening to trucks go past on the hume all night. Why the hell are all the caravan parks in Wodonga next to the highway? Monday morning I took the Hume back to Melbourne, arriving home about 10:30. I had a couple of hours rest before getting ready for work. Back to the real world
prestonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
Beeming
Itchy Feet

Oddometer: 636
Top read You blokes should be ready to tackle anything now. Awesome country out that way. I intend to tour all around the Snowies next year and by the look of it, it has plenty of nice bike roads n tracks.

Cheers

Tads
07 GS1200ADV (History), 2008 Oz Trike, 93 FLHS HD, 83 XLH HD(Missus Bike), 97 GSX-R-600(Ex SuperSport Race Bike), 97 XR-400, 74 Norton Commando Mk II(Ex Post Classic race Bike), 06 DT-175, 82 CB-250, 02 VMoto. Work to Ride, Ride to Work
http://wwf.org.au/ourwork/species/
...Adventure before Dementia...
Beeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Awesome!!!!!