Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #31
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
But,would you put 10,000 miles a year on the street legal 450 or would you worry,rightly so that it is going to wear out the motor in a year or two? Some seem to last longer then others and some people dont mind a 2,000 dollar engine freshening every so often.
I wouldn't put 10000 miles on any of those other bikes either. That's why I have road bikes. Like I said, compromise is for marrige.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #32
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Ok...everyone who doesn't think I can enjoy myself while riding an 450 EXC from Key West to Prudhoe Bay chime in and send me a couple hundred bucks. I'll buy one and then let you all know if I would have rather taken my 640A...if I hate it I'll pay you back.

Heck, I'll even do you one better. I'll bring my dad along and let him ride the 640 while someone films us. Then you can watch the DVD and if I bitch less than Charley and Ewan I get to keep the bike.

Oh and I agree with what everyone else has said so far...I just want to know once and for all so send me some cash if you want to know too...
Old 12-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #33
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
For Arkansas rocks and mountains, a KTM RFS "DS" is a great bike. I converted an 02 520 for DS and Adventure, my former race bike with 4 seasons of hard racing on it, plus many miles of fun/practice riding/working on trail maintenance, and I love it. I did the Fall Colors Tour on it. I have a KLR 650 for the easier day's DS work, but I would'nt want a KLR 650 for an only bike. I could use my KTM as an only bike, and I did just that for 4 years. A simple front sprocket change and I could ride a hundered miles of pavement, change back and ride woods.

My 02 520 has at least 25,000 miles on the original motor, never broken into. The valves don't even go out of adjustment anymore. I check them once a year, and they don't need work. I've bounced it off the rev limiter a few hundred times racing. You won't get 75,000+ miles before an engine rebuild out of a KTM RFS like you might with a KLR650 or similar bike, but I think the durability is certainly acceptable for a bike which truly can do it all including racing.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #34
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdemien
Ok...everyone who doesn't think I can enjoy myself while riding an 450 EXC from Key West to Prudhoe Bay chime in and send me a couple hundred bucks. I'll buy one and then let you all know if I would have rather taken my 640A...if I hate it I'll pay you back.

Heck, I'll even do you one better. I'll bring my dad along and let him ride the 640 while someone films us. Then you can watch the DVD and if I bitch less than Charley and Ewan I get to keep the bike.

Oh and I agree with what everyone else has said so far...I just want to know once and for all so send me some cash if you want to know too...
I'd be more worreid about selecting a good tow strap and making sure your dad knows how to tow.
Fast1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #35
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 636
"...we strongly recommend customers not ride them on the street for extended periods of time. The reason is simple. The oil circuit and oil capacity are not adequate for road usage. The cooling system does not have the dimensions for the demands of road riding and there's no fan to cool the motor during stop and go road traffic. The clutch and rear wheel are undamped, which means all kicks directly hit the final drive, and the 5th and 6th gear are narrowly set and not designed for the permanent stress that occurs with pavement riding."

You can get a fan kit, but most users argue that if its jetted properly its not required. Sure, when they get hot they will spule coolant, but that's because they don't come with an overflow tank. I made a simple one out of tubing and a turkey baster. Works great!
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #36
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmittenhymer
You can get a fan kit, but most users argue that if its jetted properly its not required. Sure, when they get hot they will spule coolant, but that's because they don't come with an overflow tank. I made a simple one out of tubing and a turkey baster. Works great!
I don't think KTM was thinking about you when they said don't ride an E/XC on the street. They were thinking about a customer who might boil the engine dry in an August traffic jam and then submit a warranty claim for the burned up engine. It's like the whole subframe controversy. Yeah, it wasn't designed to carry a top box full of anvils. That doesn't mean it's going to disintegrate because you carry 30 pounds of tent and sleeping bag.

"I am used to people like you who like to hide on the internet" -- tHEtREV

Hiding on the internet since 2006!
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #37
yanni23
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
Compromise is for marriage. I DO want a full on dirt bike with lights. Anyone that thnks a DRZ makes a better dual sport bike then an EXC is nuts. My DRZ motor is screaming at 70 MPH on the hiway with street friendly gearing. My 450 EXC is actually lugging at 70 and I've gone down 1 on the front and up 2 on the back. Sure, they EXC's are gonna be more intimidating power wise then something like a DR, DRZ or even the XRL. I'm by no means an expert rider but the power seems more then managable to me. And the suspension is lightyears ahead of those tame D/S bikes and then add to that the much lighter weight makes the bike much easier to ride in the hard stuff. The one place where a bike like the EXC gives up ground is more frequent maintenance intervals.

You are not alone, and I ain't talking DRZ's either.

yanni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #38
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog666
Hi all,

I hope I don't get flamed by the KTM faithful, but here goes!

I, like so many others, are searching for my next D/S and the KTM 450/530 EXC's seem to come up in conversation as a possibility. The only question is that these bikes look like KTM's full-on dirt offerings with lights and turn signals! They certainly don't resemble the general compromise that we are all used to seeing (DR, DRZ, XRL etc) and yet they seem to be quietly marketed as something you can routinely take on the street.

Does this really make sense? Are there KTM riders out there that put reasonable mileage on these knobbie-shod offerings from Austria?

I can see trailering to a base location (say Silverton, CO for example) and using the street-legal aspects to link dirt trails, but it just seems to me that a more street-friendly Japanese option would be better if longer pavement stretches are part of the plan.

Are you EXC riders trailering and riding the dirt? Are you taking off the knobbies and replacing them with D/S tires (seems like a silly thing to do on the EXC) or are you just letting the knobbies be damned and changing them on a monthly basis?

Thanks to all for the input. These look like great bikes. I just want to be sure that they can be really used like the standard D/S (say 50/50 dirt/street).

Thanks!

DD
The KTM 450/530's can very easily do some street miles. Albeit a bit rougher on you and it to do so then some other "compromises" of an offering you have mentioned. Weak points being direct drive (no cush drive), low oil capacity and frequent valve adjustment intervals with stock valves. All three issues are easy to resolve( LC4 rear wheel w/cush drive, Oil cooler/tank, and Kibble White stainless oversized valves= double or more the valve adjust intervals), it's only money and then you have yourself a minimalist dual sport that is very capable off road. If I go DSing 2-3 times I am going through a rear knobbie in short order. I wont run a 50/50 tire because the terrain around here can go from dry pavement to wet clay on a tree infested hill side in 20'.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:57 AM   #39
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
I'd be more worreid about selecting a good tow strap and making sure your dad knows how to tow.
I promise I'll change the oil at every third gas station and check the valves at every state line...

If I'm doing it Long Way Round style I'll have another full bike worth of parts and a huge snap-on toolbox in my chase vehicle.

I agree that the KTM literature says what is says so guys don't buy them as commuter bikes...I also think that pointing out the PD race as an example of riding one high mileage is a little misguided. Those dudes stop and change the oil a lot...then they sell the bike (after its trashed) to some guy who says he has a rally bike...that guy never runs it to its potential so it lasts him another 10k miles.

Call me crazy but I'll go a bit further in saying that KTM's recommendation of frequent oil changes assumes you have it pinned for every minute/mile the engine is running. We'd all like to think that we do that, but most of us aren't really that good. They don't put a fan on it because they're assuming that the thing is going to be flying across the desert or down a trail at 50mph and there's no need for a fan.

If you're going to ride it around like a tractor in first and second gear the whole time I'd add a fan and have it on if you're going less than 30mph.

I'd also say the cush drive is nice but if you're gentle on the road and use the clutch properly you can get away without it...Huge knobby tires "cush" a little...but hey it's a motorcycle, judicious application of throttle and being nice to the gearbox and clutch is like having "nice" sex with a hooker. Better to flog it and worry about repairs later...

Anyway get a cooling fan and wear a condom...
Old 12-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #40
WoovsHoovs
RUN SILENT

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas
For Arkansas rocks and mountains, a KTM RFS "DS" is a great bike. I converted an 02 520 for DS and Adventure, my former race bike with 4 seasons of hard racing on it, plus many miles of fun/practice riding/working on trail maintenance, and I love it. I did the Fall Colors Tour on it. I have a KLR 650 for the easier day's DS work, but I would'nt want a KLR 650 for an only bike. I could use my KTM as an only bike, and I did just that for 4 years. A simple front sprocket change and I could ride a hundered miles of pavement, change back and ride woods.

My 02 520 has at least 25,000 miles on the original motor, never broken into. The valves don't even go out of adjustment anymore. I check them once a year, and they don't need work. I've bounced it off the rev limiter a few hundred times racing. You won't get 75,000+ miles before an engine rebuild out of a KTM RFS like you might with a KLR650 or similar bike, but I think the durability is certainly acceptable for a bike which truly can do it all including racing.

Finally the voice of reason....
Name another bike that is more capable, off-road?
8 time national enduro champ Mike Lafferty runs a ktm 4 stroke-'nuff said

Jgas-my 525 has never seen the rev-limiter! but I'm a slow to midpack B-maybe with that kindof longevity I need to hold her ass open a bit longer
WoovsHoovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:54 AM   #41
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoovsHoovs
Finally the voice of reason....
Name another bike that is more capable, off-road?
8 time national enduro champ Mike Lafferty runs a ktm 4 stroke-'nuff said
Ok, I'll bite... A 200, 250 or 300xcw!

Oh, you want to DS it? well, the 4-s EXC's aren't bad either... Same with Husky TE's... BTW, until recently, ML was running a 400, not a 450 or 525. Smaller is better in the woods. Couldn't resist...
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #42
yanni23
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Para504

Oh, you want to DS it? well, the 4-s EXC's aren't bad either... Same with Husky TE's... BTW, until recently, ML was running a 400, not a 450 or 525. Smaller is better in the woods. Couldn't resist...
I seen a ton of plated Katooms up at the Shenandoah 500 back in October. I saw a lot of 200's and they BLAZED on the ''B'' and "C" sections. I wouldn't mind a plated 300xcw myself. There's just something about seeing a smoker screaming down the asphalt then blastin' off into the woods.
yanni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #43
WoovsHoovs
RUN SILENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para504

Ya cute-same bike-weight etc-only bore and stroke is different...400-450-525-540. That's why I said "rfs"...
To each his own-I run down lotsa those little too smokers-I've grown up with them so no bias. If outright lightweight was tantamount 125's would be the rage-given your assessment-but they AREN'T.
4 strokes make better traction when the going gets slick-like most of my riding areas. 200's don't have the ass and 300's vibrate and still can't run with my bike-but I'm 6'1 240 Taking a break from toting mix oil with me, buzziness and noise right now
My 525 just got a plate so I'll be rolling through tires
The whole RFS DUALSPORT idea began to surface as miles and miles of troublefree riding became the norm-not the exception.

Taste good?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #44
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 558
Yeah, couldn't resist tossing it out there. Depends on the terrain, and of course, the pilot. The more technical & tight single track the more I'd favor the smokers, more open, faster areas I'd prefer the RFS. Good things to be said for each. Like you said, its all good. Run what you brung & enjoy it!

Cheers,
Para
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #45
WoovsHoovs
RUN SILENT

Hot setup would be one of each!
Like to see how Juha or Knight would do on a ttr225\crf230 for example-still top ten? (or top 5?)