User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #61
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Buzzy KTM's

You guys should try a Honda. The CRF450 isn't buzzy at all. It's more powerful too. Prolly stronger then the 525/530 or whatever it is. On the other hand, they have no oil capacity and should be changed every race weekend. That doesn't leave much room for dual sporting I guess.

BTW, I vote for under 300lbs any day if you're back woods in the ruts and deadfall.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #62
Tifosi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
You know I have ever really understood this debate really, there is no perfect bike everything is a compromise. There are plenty of people here that have ridden thousands of road miles on a 450/525 which is essentially the same though the new ones benefit from separate oil for the trans and engine. My attitude is more power to people that want to run it on the road and more power to those that jsut run it in the dirt. There are thousands of people all over the third world that run thousands of miles on 125 and 250 two strokes that we here in the more prosperous regions of the world would never thing of diong and somehow they manage. IS the 450/525/530 a great or perfect on road machine? No. Can it be a capable dual sport? Yes. Would it benefit from some mods namely a steering damper, larger tank, different seat, tires, and cush drive? Absolutely. I say run it whatever way you want and have a blast while staying safe and let people ride what they want to ride and where they want to ride it as long as they aren't hurting anyone. I have ridden more comfortable bikes on road but frankly the 640 is a huge improvement vibration wise over my 450 (with cush drive, sahara 3s, and steering damper) and it doesn't hold a candle to it off road. I plan to run the thing many more miles on road than most would suggest but hell I don't care and if I kaput the engine that way I will have to buy another one or pay to have it rebuilt, to combat this I change the oil and filter every 300 miles, piked a reasonable final drive (3.42 or 14/48) which allows me to cruise at 65 no problem but I won't do 120 but who cares. I always thought it was more about the journey not what you rode to get there. I remember a few months ago reading about a guy that did Utah to Alaska and back on a 250 and he had a blast, after reading that I realized that I would be just fine.

Things of note:

Steering damper really helps this bike on road and off.
Cush rear drive coupled with balanced rims and the sahara 3s really smoothed it out both on and off road. frankly I almost like it better than the 640.
With the added weight of the racks and bags, and the larger tank it will be a bit smoother on road.
The 6-speed gear box is great on road I almost never find 6th off road but it sure is nice to have running it on the highway.
I have a windscreen on the way it will help with the wind which pretty much sucks.
I have ridden the thing in a pretty heavy downpour with the stock knobbies and it was the first rain in LA in a long time so the roads were super slick. I switched the ignition to the low traction mode and took it easy and the thing was a lot better than I imagined it would be.
As soon as I settle on an aftermarket tank I will be ordering a seat from Renazco because the stock one is horrible.
Tifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #63
zer0t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
You guys should try a Honda. The CRF450 isn't buzzy at all. It's more powerful too. Prolly stronger then the 525/530 or whatever it is. On the other hand, they have no oil capacity and should be changed every race weekend. That doesn't leave much room for dual sporting I guess.

BTW, I vote for under 300lbs any day if you're back woods in the ruts and deadfall.
I don't know who said the 530 is buzzy. Look at my earlier post, I cruised with ease at 80 on the highway on my way to my off road ride. The gears are tall and it is a six speed with more HP than a stock Harley. Mine doesn't buzz at all, and I am sure it is not a unique example.

At the end of the day, buy what you like. I have no issues with any of these bikes at all. I have had no issues with my KTM for a DS bike.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #64
zer0t
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
LOL, every carbed bike I've owned needed to be re-jetted.
You are so right, I don't remember any bike I have had with a carb being right out of the box. That's why I love FI and wish that my KTM had FI.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #65
backspinnn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I put about 20,000 miles on a KLR and had some pretty serious adventures on that thing. I got rid of that and rode a KLX300 for a while.

I bought a new 2007 450 EXC and I have never had as much fun on two wheels. I did have to spend some money on jetting, a new seat, bigger tank, steering stabilizer, and engine protection for it. It is a work of art now, everytime I go through the garage I am still surprised to see it there. It is incredible off road and it can do 100+ on road with off road gearing. Of course it feels like a skinny light bike going a 100, but it makes you smile.

I didn't buy it to commute on. Offroad and connecting trails is where this bike shines, but on road it feels pretty damned good too. Its engine is smoother than my 640 ADV by far and it will power wheelie at 45 no problem. My 640 will not do that. Everyone talks about the lack of a cushed hub being an issue, but I haven't read too many reports of RFS transmission failures on ktmtalk. I change the oil every 10-15 hours of riding time depending on the ride intensity. It is quick and easy and the oil has never even been dark yet. Having a sixth gear is real nice, but if you are only going 60 in 6th the bike will be lugging. On the 640 and KLR, I was always looking for a sixth gear that was not there.

It usually gets 45-50 MPG on fire roads with some trails thrown in, so the range is pretty good with a 3.2 gallon tank. I have rode almost every factory DS model out there and they all have pluses and minuses, but when you get on the KTM RFS DS bikes you are in for a treat.

I admit when I was a "hardcore" KLR rider I had a tendency to hate on KTMs, but then I rode one and I knew there was something to it.

2009 BMW R1200GS
2007 KTM 450EXC dual sport
backspinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:55 PM   #66
getagripgreg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
You guys should try a Honda. T
If Honda would make the things 50 state street legal, I'd jump all over that!

Sadly, KTM and Husky are the only options for a plate in this class.

OK, holiday vacation over! Time to start looking for a seller again!
getagripgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #67
zer0t
Adventurer

I am getting a sense there is an anti-KTM sentiment here.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #68
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 551
Not really - more like sour grapes :-)

Doesn't really matter what you ride anyway, as long as your having a good time. Hell I could do that on a XR50!
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #69
zer0t
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para504
Doesn't really matter what you ride anyway, as long as your having a good time. Hell I could do that on a XR50!
Truer words were never spoken! I have a crf50 (my 7 year old does) I have had more fun on that bike than any other. I even had a pretty bad accident wheeling one around the yard! ;-)
Old 12-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #70
North
Aimless Drifter

Oddometer: 127
My wife bought my a 530 exc for christmas. I already have a 1200GS for dirt roads and the street.

I wanted a radical dirt bike that I could plate for logging roads / off-road and not have to worry about going on legal roads. I will be transporting the bike to the trails on my Jeep.

I had it down to the 530 exc or te510. My wife made the pick for my and bought the 530.
Attached Images

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 PM   #71
zer0t
Adventurer

Your bike is beautiful. Looking at it makes me want to go in the garage and hug mine! Happy New Year!

-z
Old 12-31-2007, 10:01 PM   #72
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,758
Nice bike (I have one too, the gs also). Pants in, until you get a pipe guard. Ask me how I know

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #73
zer0t
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC
Nice bike (I have one too, the gs also). Pants in, until you get a pipe guard. Ask me how I know
Yeah, my pants had pulled up a bit so my boot was the casualty. I have a pipe guard and just haven't put it on.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #74
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 551
Congrats on the bike, you'll love it!

Definitely get a guard on the rear part of that pipe ASAP. Partially melted my Sidi boots, AND burned a hole in my OTB pants... Grrr!!! You can use an RFS guard, but you'll potentially need to trim a little bit of plastic.
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #75
mikeprod92211
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 591
Can I send my wife to your house for training?????
I need a 990! (LOL)
Nice Christmas present!!!!!!!!!!!!