Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #76
zer0t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeprod92211
Can I send my wife to your house for training?????
I need a 990! (LOL)
Nice Christmas present!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I agree, what gives? I got cuff links.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #77
matteo
HPM

Oddometer: 498
I found this article by chance. Addresses this thread. It has a bulletin from the KTM factory stating that "racing four stroke" bikes are not for dual sport. The article is from 2000, but I thought it would reignite the argurment.

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbik....jsp?id=266735
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #78
yanni23
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
My CRF450X was not a dual-sport until I put a small N.C. tag hangin' off the fender...POOF...now it's a dual-sport.
yanni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #79
zer0t
Adventurer

I have been using my 08 KTM as a DS. I don't feel like I am missing out.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #80
d0gWateR
Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer: 463
My '06 525EXC is an awesome dualsport. It is far from stock, but I'd never go back to my 640Adv. I'd buy a street bike instead.

Funny thing happened last summer, went on a dualsport ride with 70 of my closest friends. KTMs, Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, BMWs. Lots of fire roads, some asphalt, lotsa gnarly 2 track. We all thought we had brought the best tool for the job, and by the end of the day we were all convinced we were right!

Did I have more fun? Was my EXC a better pick than a KLR or DRZ? Geez, I'd have to say "no" cuz the guys on KLRs and DRZs had as much fun as us guys on EXCs. Their bikes suited their riding style, as did mine. None of us would have been happy to swap.

I have only 8000kms on mine so far, and my nastiest asphalt day was 8 hours at 70-80mph from Creel to Douglas,AZ. I was probably just as comfortable on the EXC as I woud have been on the 640A. The vibes of the 640 wear you down. If it weren't for an extremely sore ass, I could have kept on riding.

I pick up my new Renazco saddle this week, so look out!

Cambodia 2013 Blog
d0gWateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:37 AM   #81
zer0t
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0gWateR
My '06 525EXC is an awesome dualsport. It is far from stock, but I'd never go back to my 640Adv. I'd buy a street bike instead.

Funny thing happened last summer, went on a dualsport ride with 70 of my closest friends. KTMs, Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, BMWs. Lots of fire roads, some asphalt, lotsa gnarly 2 track. We all thought we had brought the best tool for the job, and by the end of the day we were all convinced we were right!

Did I have more fun? Was my EXC a better pick than a KLR or DRZ? Geez, I'd have to say "no" cuz the guys on KLRs and DRZs had as much fun as us guys on EXCs. Their bikes suited their riding style, as did mine. None of us would have been happy to swap.

I have only 8000kms on mine so far, and my nastiest asphalt day was 8 hours at 70-80mph from Creel to Douglas,AZ. I was probably just as comfortable on the EXC as I woud have been on the 640A. The vibes of the 640 wear you down. If it weren't for an extremely sore ass, I could have kept on riding.

I pick up my new Renazco saddle this week, so look out!
I would say this sums it up pretty well. I was going to say get a new seat but I see you are already taking care of that. It wasn't until a longer ride the other day that I realized just how crappy the seat was.

I love my KTM, it is perfect for me. I love the suspension and brakes; the engine is a beast. Am I runnning around telling folks that ride other products they're crazy for not getting a 530? Absolutely not, pick what is best for you and you will be happy.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #82
Tifosi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Like I wrote in my earlier post we all get caught up in the minutiae of the details and we forget it is about riding. I always liked the run what you got attitude. THere is no perfect bike but DSing a 450 or 530 is no sillier than plenty of other bikes. IF a guy can ride a lawnmower a couple hundred miles (I forget the name of the movie) then I am sure you could make it on anything from a 125 to a 950 it should be about having fun.
Tifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #83
Rellik
o-KAY!

Oddometer: 589
The answer to the question becomes much clearer here in Canada anyway. I was at the Bike Show on the week-end (much drooling!) and the KTM booth was sporting one of the first 690 SEs to hit our shores! I was VERY pleased to find that it was actually going to list for below the 525/530 and significantly lower than the 640 it's replacing! (Thank-you to our over valued dollar )

Makes the desicion about which dual-sport alot clearer to this Canuck!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #84
stacey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I think the main reason for people like me is that I'm looking at a bunch of bikes that are all over the map. Cost, Hp, maintenance schedules, cost of ownership, are all a factor.

I believe KTM is saying, you are buying a bitch of a bike for maintenance schedules if you want a race-bread bike. They don't want to be criticised for making a bike that requires alot of attention and has possibility of breakage due to incorrect usage.

With that said, the 530 is still a contender for me, as the 450 and 525 have proven to be longer term bikes getting upwards of 35,000km as per magazine articles etc.

That is a good lifetime for a bike like this for a guy like me.
stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #85
GOT DIRT?
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Just ride them.I sold my dr350s to buy a used 400exc.I plan to dual sport it, my longest paved sections will be about 20 to 30 miles on back country roads.Sometimes ride it to work to break up time on the street bike.Sometimes we have to remind ourselves to JUST HAVE FUN AND RIDE.
GOT DIRT? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #86
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0t
I would say this sums it up pretty well. I was going to say get a new seat but I see you are already taking care of that. It wasn't until a longer ride the other day that I realized just how crappy the seat was.

I love my KTM, it is perfect for me. I love the suspension and brakes; the engine is a beast. Am I runnning around telling folks that ride other products they're crazy for not getting a 530? Absolutely not, pick what is best for you and you will be happy.
Nah, just let them ride it and decide for themselves. That's why my buddy bought one.

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #87
stacey
Adventurer

I wanna see some big air shots on the 530 hehe.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #88
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey
I wanna see some big air shots on the 530 hehe.
I already posted a bunch of shots here....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298029

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #89
stacey
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paochow
I already posted a bunch of shots here....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298029
I know ya did Paochow. I asked for some of em :)

I'm drooling over the shots, and tearing myself apart trying to figure out if I want to go with the 530 or 690 Enduro this coming spring.

530... dream bike...

690... smart choice..

P.S. I dont' think you can post enough great pictures!! thank you!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #90
Mark_Redrock
My Ears are Ringing

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey
I know ya did Paochow. I asked for some of em :)

I'm drooling over the shots, and tearing myself apart trying to figure out if I want to go with the 530 or 690 Enduro this coming spring.

530... dream bike...

690... smart choice..

P.S. I dont' think you can post enough great pictures!! thank you!

I picked up the 530 a few months back, I had the emisions pulled, rejetted and uncorked at the exhaust. Having it to balance the 990 for more agressive offroad rides, it's perfect, but if I had to have 1 bike, it would likely be a 690e.

To me the riding of miles on the thing doesn't seem to really bother me, but the maintenance. I'm just not a hang in the garage for a weekend and work on my bike kind of guy, I'm a 'I want to ride the thing until it's time to take it to the dealer' sorta guy.

This one factor probably would of made the 690e a better choice for me, as I find myself not wanting to ride the 530 as much on longer all-day rides just because of the heavy maintenance requirements.

I've been out on it for a weekend, and already I'm trying to figure out how to get it down to the dealer, who's going to pick me up and how I'm going to get back to grab it. (I don't have a truck).

As far as a bike goes, I love the thing. It's more fun than I have ever had off road, and it's not THAT bad on the pavement. But it bugs me every time I get on the pavement with it, in the back of my mind I'm worried I'm jacking the transmission because of the lack of cush hub, I'm worried that the radiator might boil over because I don't have a fan or overflow tank for the radiator fluid. etc.

It's a new bike, so I'm probably being WAY over cautious on the thing, but it's hard to shake those concerns and just not worry about it when your on a bike which the owners manual gives you a spring-cleaning level of maintenance tasks that should be done every 100 miles.

I probably need to quit being such a whiny little bitch, and just go out and ride the wheels off the damn thing.
2004 Suzuki DR-Z 400
Trip Photos My Riding Videos
Mark_Redrock is offline   Reply With Quote