Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
ride no evo OP
Suck it Trebek

Oddometer: 567
ST1300 owners service intervals and gripes!!

So the blonde girl told me I have to get a sport tourer in the spring. I like the RT but I've had hex heads before and they are $$$ and they are a little heaviy on service needs. I also like the ST, they can be had for a lot less $$$ and I'm guessing that service is required less.

So who knows when oil and valves are do on the ST1300 and do you have any gripes or good points about yours??

Thanks

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

You can save $5 on a smugmug subscription use coupon KyCiOLxqIwDIk
ride no evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,665
Why not Triumph Sprint ST?? It's the sporitest of all sport-tourers.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
ride no evo OP
Suck it Trebek

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
Why not Triumph Sprint ST?? It's the sporitest of all sport-tourers.
That it is....but I am looking for a bit more all day comfort.........the sprint is a badass though

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

You can save $5 on a smugmug subscription use coupon KyCiOLxqIwDIk
ride no evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
ST service

I have the ST1100 and the manual says to check valves at 16k. Mechanics at different shops, not related told me at least 40k to 50k. I found at 43k all within spec. The ST 1300 is a similar design and the same quality build. It also runs cooler. Therefore unless there is a loss of power when pulling hills or difficult starting, ride on.

As for oil change, I run 3500 to 4000 on the Honda 10-40. As the oil begins to deteriorate the shifting will feel a bit less slick. With snthetics you can do a bit better. And expect no burning of oil. These are the best motors on the planet.

My only ride on the ST1300 was in a parking lot. Easier to steer and less top heavy than the ST1100. Check out ST-owners.com for more.
slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,398
My st1300 has 64,000 miles. No problems with reliability. The intervals at about every 16k, but they are always within spec. Just concentrate on riding it.

If you can get a st1100 go for it, i had one, and for the money they are worth it as long as the alternator does no go bust.

You should look into the triumph trophy 1200, thats a hell of a bike, and you can probably get it for 3000-4000.

I thought the beauty of the boxer motor is that the valves only had to be adjusted every 6000 miles, but you could do it very easily even on roadside.

The st1300 will cost alot to take care of valves, and as far as maintenance doing it yourself is a pain in the ass, the plastic is incredibly complex to remove, and nothing is exposed, forget changing headlights, that will quickly turn into 4 hours or more to do.

But its a good sport touring machine that will eat miles, the bike is incredibly with a panssenger, i did 500 miles at over 100mph avg and that bike and the girl were fine... just a little scared.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Check your messages
FXRBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
I have the 02 ST1100 with 37000 miles. Like what's been said before, don't even worry about a valve check before 40000+ miles. I do my own oil changes, and fluid changes- no problem.

The V-4 is a stompin motor that is extremely reliable, that's why the ST1100/1300 are so popular with Police Agencies. ST's with well over 100K with basic maintenance are common. They are not as fancy as the modern BMW's but I think that overall they are a more reliable design.

Also check out the older Kawasaki Concourses, and older BMW K bikes (K100/ K75). They can also reach relaible high mileage.

Just my .02

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
8k - oil
16K - valves
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,255
I'm a new ST owner, bought an 06 this summer with 1800 miles on it. Road it home 1800 and now it's tire changing time @ 7500. I've had FJ's, FJR's, ZZR's, ZRX's, Triumphs, KTM950's, and this is easily the best mileage eater. It really just wants to fly along at high speed with you locked into a nice quiet bubble.

As for plastic I don't think it is as bad as others feel it is. I was initially intimidated but got some directions of the web and took lots of plastic off during early farkling, and it all went back on.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote