**Dakar Cancelled** The Official Dakar 2008 Updates Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Dec 3, 2007.

1. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    I figured I'd start it off since the broadcast schedules just popped up on Versus. I checked TSN for our friends up north, but nothing is posted yet.

*EDIT The TSN Canadian schedules look to show daily updates from 7 to 7:30pm starting on the 6th.

Daily Information:

Dakar
    Here
    Marathonrally
    Raid-Live

Where to listen:

http://www.rallyraidio.net/

Where to watch:

Versus - Same as last year it seems. Half hour updates from 3:30 to 4pm EST starting on January 6th with daily repeats from 6:30 to 7pm EST. So far, one, hour long wrap up is on the schedule for January 27th from 4 to 5pm EST.

Also of course, Eurosport.com

Who to watch:

ADVrider inmates:
    Race Number - Entrant - Inmate handle

152 - John Deykes - cagiva900
    205 - Christophe Barriere Varju - CBVRacing
    117 - Guido Faber - DakarRider
    136 - Don Hatton - Destination Dakar
    27 - Jonah Street - jonah s
    234 - Richard Kaye - kayesport.com
    125 - Charlie Rauseo - lastpace
    137 - Tod Davidson - spudbashin'ATC

Non-ADVrider's of note:

40 - David Schwartz (AUS) - Supported by Rally Management Services
    19 - Martin Macek
    Donald Duck's friends 54 - Kemal Merkit and 55 - Kutlu Torunlar from Turkey
    93 - Annie Seel (SWE)
    41 - Mick Extance (GBR)
  2. spudbashin'ATC

spudbashin'ATC Challenge Accepted...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the reins Doyle:freaky

Don't forget that I (we) will be making calls to Packmules www.RallyRAIDio.net where you will be able to listen to the (nearly) live updates from us in the field. Nate's gonna post more info and details soon but this might be the place to get the quickest and most accurate updates.....since it'll come right from the horses mouthes. :evil

This was a huge hit IMO during the Baja 1K and has the potential to be even bigger for the Dakar :clap
  3. doyle

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I updated to includes Nate's link. :thumb
  4. Robb Mc

Robb Mc what?

Oddometer:
    And for those of you who can't quite figure out the train wreck that Versus calls a website....

I compiled the times here. Versus TV Schedule
  5. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Thanks, Doyle. Beez is helping me with the banner art, and the pieces are falling into place. I'm getting nervous, and I'm not even riding!
  6. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    does this belong in this thread? :confused

Stéphane Peterhansel « A whole region that I have never been to! »

[​IMG]

The record holder of rally victories is this year undertaking his 20th Dakar. An expert on the Sahara, Stéphane Peterhansel details the route and identifies the key points of the 2008 Dakar.

[​IMG]

Portugal?
    While these may not be the hardest specials in the rally, their interest lies in the technical difficulties they offer. For European specials, they are very comprehensive, they are stages in their own right over which everyone must exercise extreme vigilance.

Morocco?
    There is a significant change in the Moroccan stages in comparison with previous years : increased mileage on specials changes the situation. For example, the unaccustomed length of the Nador – Er Rachidia stage will require us to be ready very early. We will be thrown in at the deep end. As for the rest, we know the town stages but there are all the same lots of routes to join them. I do not think there are major traps. I am expecting traditional terrain for the region but it is likely that the staggered starts will be bigger than usual on leaving Morocco.

Mauritania?
    This is where the rally really starts. This is the first time we will be spending so much time in Mauritania and I am almost sure new ergs have been found. There is a whole region that I have never been to, even after 20 years taking part in the Dakar, on the Nouakchott-Nouadhibou and Nouadhibou-Atar stages (NDLR : the last time the Dakar visited Nouadhibou, in 1994, Peterhansel was not at the start line). As far as I know there are very high dunes, it will be interesting. Then, the stages where we will not have any assistance will introduce an additional constraint with mechanical problems to be dealt with. As far as we at Mitsubishi are concerned, it is normally in Mauritania that we make the difference.

Senegal?
    This year, there should not be a decisive special in Senegal because on the last but one day of racing, where sudden revivals are always possible, the time trials will take place on Mauritanian territory. But arriving in Dakar is always very satisfying and a great relief.
  7. doyle

Oddometer:
    Sure does. :thumb
  8. longear

longear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Chris and Jonah in the element./elko,ne 2006/
  9. PackMule

Oddometer:
    Very cool, Miro. :thumb

Thanks to Beez, who did the graphic design, I added a great banner shot of Chris at the RallyRAIDio.net website. :thumb

Get well, Chris.

[​IMG]
  10. longear

longear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. doyle

Oddometer:
    Site looks great!
  12. doyle

Oddometer:
    Marc Coma
    While his Spanish compatriots are immersed in pre-Christmas stress, Marc Coma is counting down the days until January 5, the beginning of the 30th Dakar Rally. How a favorite in the motorcycle category is preparing for the legendary desert rally, Coma disclosed in an interview.

One month to go before the highlight of the season. How does a day in the life of Marc Coma look right now?

Very busy. Most of the time I spend in Los Monegros, a region similar to the rally’s, about 150 kilometers from my hometown. I do driving and navigation training there. I’m also doing weight and stamina work-outs.

On the bike the trials and tribulations at the Dakar are huge. What influence does physical fitness have on performance?

A very big one. Especially this time. Because the rally is celebrating its 30-year jubilee, the organizers have made it tougher than usual. The stages in Mauretania in particular will be hell. Most people think of a desert as being flat with a few sand dunes – but what lies ahead of us is mountainous terrain and a treacherous combination of sand and course gravel.

What motivating image do you think of when you take on month-long training full of pain and hardship for the Dakar?

I don’t need any motivational help. The training itself makes me happy!

How much would you say your recently won Raids World Championship title says about your chances of winning?

The title is a good omen, but no more than that. Because the championships and the Dakar are really two completely different contests. At the Dakar so many unforeseen things can happen – to be lucky at the right moment is a really important factor for winning.

“If you understand it, the desert can be your friend,” is what you’ve said. Did the friendship suffer any set-backs after your serious accident last year?

No, definitely not. We made a mistake back then and we learned from it. One of the peculiarities of the Dakar is that tiny problems can very quickly become huge ones. But I don’t want to talk about the accident any more. I prefer to look ahead.

How would you describe your relationship to Cyril Despres, who can thank your accident for his victory last year?

Our relationship is great. He’s the favorite, the man to beat this year. I really respect him.

Cyril also talks about you with respect. He says that desert riders are a particular species, because the dangers often necessitate sticking together and competitiveness just falls by the wayside ...

That’s so true. For us it’s about fair play above all else, and in a dangerous situation each one of us can rely on the others. You hardly find this attitude in any other sport.

An attitude that fits well with this reflective season. What do you want for Christmas that might be able to help you at the rally?

Nothing. Because, so close to the race, I won’t have time to celebrate Christmas properly. I mean, of course there’ll be dinner with my family. But more than likely I’ll already be thinking of the Dakar ...
  13. spudbashin'ATC

spudbashin'ATC Challenge Accepted...

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much my thoughts and how I spend my days as well....:flug

:topes
  14. White Knuckles

White Knuckles Insufficient memory

Oddometer:
  15. doyle

Oddometer:
  16. doyle

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Schwarz returns to Dakar with KTM

After a two year absence from entry into the world’s toughest rally – DAKAR –South Australian rider, David Schwarz, will be returning with KTM in January 2008 to embark on the 10,000 km road and off-road grueling event.

An experienced rally rider, Schwarz has successfully competed in many Australian off-road and rally style events, including the Australian Safari, the Finke Desert Race and the Condo 750, but his biggest achievement was at the 2005 Dakar when he took a third place positioning in the 450 class, whilst finishing 37th overall with Motorex KTM Rally Team.

Commenting on his return to the unforgiving terrain that is Dakar, Schwarz said, “A combination of lack of sponsorship and the loss of my good friend and team mate Andy Caldecott, delayed my return to Dakar for two years, but now I’m in a place where I feel I can concentrate on the event and give it my best.

“After a lot of discussion with my family and friends I decided it was time for me to go back, as I don’t want to leave a return any longer. I want to go when I’m in the right mind frame and fit enough to handle the conditions.

“I will enter this year’s Dakar on the KTM 690 Rally, as a privateer with the help of KTM Australia.

“Financially Dakar breaks the bank and unfortunately I don’t have any major sponsors on board to cover the costs, but a few small businesses have come forward to offer me support like Mark Eland Fabrication in Queensland and Adelaide Kurbing, so they deserve a mention.

“There are also a few industry sponsors helping me for this event which are Gas Imports who do Thor clothing, Berick boots plus CNR Imports who do Scott Goggles.

“I’m hoping that I may also be able to generate some more industry support and I certainly won’t be knocking back any offers for help.

“I’m now in the planning stages to leave Australia in late December, but there is an incredible amount I have to do before then in preparation. I’m still trying to organise my FIM licence which requires a cardiogram and ECG, then I have to sort out insurance, visas and the list goes on.

“In terms of the racing, my game plan for the 2008 Dakar is to make sure I get to the finish at Lac Rose and to do the best I can, that way the results will look after themselves.

“The toughest terrain will be in Mauritania, where the stages are between 600 and 800 kms long and it is sand dunes the whole way. I know I have the speed and navigational skills, it’s just a matter of putting it all together and having a trouble free run.”

The 2008 Dakar will run from 5 to 20 January covering Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal.
  17. PackMule

Oddometer:
    Schwarz is being supported by PanAM/RMS, if I'm not mistaken. :thumb
  18. doyle

Oddometer:
    :nod
  19. Robb Mc

Robb Mc what?

Oddometer:
    mr. Packmule you are correct. David will be supported by us.

Day 1 of DVR take 2 is underway. Jonah went through mile 81 an hour ago... Still waiting on everybody else.
  20. PackMule

Oddometer:

RM 81 -- is that at the truckstop? Still have the rail crossing and monster downhill ahead of them. :lurk

Hand someone the phone when they come through... :deal