Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #46
Daaayo
wanderin' round n round

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillies
Cigarettes and Tic Tacs.
That is just GROSS!
Macanudo's and Sen Sen... THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!
Daaayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:30 AM   #47
dakardad
Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer: 441
What in the hell! You guys really carry all that crap? No wonder ya ride adventures and the like. Me, I travel light, flour with a little salt, toppings that sound interesting like those new seasoned tuna pouches, pb and I never forget the stool softeners!

KTM 50SX
dakardad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:55 AM   #48
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
Lately...

I've been buying some kind of rice & _______ sidedish meal that come in a sealed paper/foil bag. Boil up couple of cups of water in the Jetboil cookpod, add the rice meal and a puch of chicken breat, simmer for a couple of minutes and there's a good main course that's mighty filling. Other side dishes are added as available but not really mandatory.

Thing I like about this is it takes up very little space, is ready in about 5 minutes, and cleanup is a snap (I eat right out of the Jetboil pot).

A good quick breakfast that doesn't require much back end cleanup is bagels and cream cheese, cooked on one of those Wal-Mart $4 toast makers. Just wipe down your knife when done. Another quick and good breakast food is single serve oatmeal or grits.

I used to love to do eggs/bacon, grits, etc. when camping, but got to where the cleanup was more trouble than its worth, for me anyway.

My 2
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:51 AM   #49
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Beef jerkey and macadamia nuts..oh yeah and coffee of course.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #50
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer: 994
Cooking Platform

Everyone seems to want one of my platforms until I tell them the price. I have made 6 plateforms, #1 and 5 others. If you look at the pictures in my previous posts you will notice a difference between the one with the LED light (#1) and the one on the back of my bike. The first platform, #1 has the light. It has camloc's that hold it all together for use with a $20 Bar-B-Que light I was trying out. The one on the rack is one of 5 I have made and uses knobs with a 10-32 threaded fastener and nut plate for assembly. Im out of knobs so the next batch will have something else of equal quality.

I put many hours into each cooking platform. I layout and cut everything out by hand. Every part is debured and all edges polished on a 3M scotchbrite wheel for a nice quality finished look. Every hole is drilled,debured,countersunk (I like flush rivets),and then a aircraft quality solid AD rivet is shot in place. The windscreen is made of a composite called G-10.I use G-10 because it is resistant to heat and cleans up easy after use and will flex rather than bend during transport. The hinges are aluminum aircraft quality and held in place with the same flush AD rivets. Its all very time consuming but the results is an aircraft quality product that if treated right will last many many years.

One of the things that turns everyone off from the get go is the price of the grills. Made by a company called Purcell Trench in Washington State are $35 each and requires 2. They are made from aircraft quality 600 series stainless steel 1/4" tubing. Strange thing about the grills is how well they disapate heat. You can actually touch the grills just a couple of inches from the heat without getting burned, So the platforms itself does not get hot. I've called Purcell Trench and asked about a better price if I bought a few grills all at once. Was told their is no wholesale price, same for everyone. I bought mine awhile back through Aerostich and the price was the same. Aerostitch no longer sells these grills.

When all is said and done the whole settup runs about $150. So you really have to want one to buy one. My GSA has Jesse Bags and I made the platform to breakdown flat and fit in the lid of one bag. It sets up in about 3 minutes and is ready to go after placing your stove inside. Ive made 5 and sold 4 at requests The 5th one is mine and seen in my pictures.

#1 is no longer being used and just sits on the shelf. I'll discount #1 and include the light as I feel its no longer needed with the use of headlamps.

The rack mount is a one off that fits my one off Rackman rack.

This weeks mid-week camping trip was GREAT! weather was picture perfect, could not have asked for anything better. Temps were 82 with no wind, perfect. The bike mount is basicly done unless I see a need for another mod but i really doubt it. These last changes were covering the top of the mount with an abs plastic and moving the bungee hold down points on the bottom side.

Secure enough now that by pulling out your stoves you can now move or ride the bike with everything attached.
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100

ownst1100 screwed with this post 12-06-2007 at 09:42 PM
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #51
justJeff
Banned

Oddometer: 2,667
For those looking for a penny-tech solution (though not near as nifty as ownsst1100), you can use a folding camp grill that is readily available. When I first started dating my now wife I was still into backpacking. I owned signle burner backpacking stoves. The first time we went camping she was like "how the heck can I put out a feast with this?". She is an incredible cook, and enjoys camp cooking. She said she needed two burners minimum. She was thinking a large, green, coleman type stove. Since I already owned a couple of single burner stoves, I bought a simple grill made to go over a campfire, with folding supports. Two stoves fit under it well, and it's light and takes up no room.

There is (or was) a company out of Oregon that made a folding stove called the Pyramid. I still have one. It's made to use charcoal briquettes, but the design is such that with only a few breiquettes placed standing up on their special holder quite high temperatures are achievable, and it stays warm for a long time. We've cooked some pretty good sized roasts using this thing. It came in a carrying case, and goes down to about 12"x12"x1" or so. I'll see if they're still in business and post a llink if I can find one. I hand't thought about using it on a bike trip until just now.
justJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #52
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

If you look on the table you can see Jay watching as I make bacon next to the stand I got the idea from. It too was made for cooking over coals in a fire ring. This was my friend Brians settup. It needed wooden blocks on each end to lift the the grill up high enough for the stoves to fit. was very shakey.

We talked and I came up with this.

This works good and was very sturdy but lacked wind protection. So I came up with this and its worked out very well even in windy conditions.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #53
justJeff
Banned

Oddometer: 2,667
Nice Evolution! Ingenuity and creativity at it's best, that's for sure.
justJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #54
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,221
Ownst1100,

How do you like that clipper french press? Also, the plate under your other coffee maker, is that a solid thing like a can lid or just a ring? I haven't seen something like that before.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:14 PM   #55
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
snip....
A good quick breakfast that doesn't require much back end cleanup is bagels and cream cheese, cooked on one of those Wal-Mart $4 toast makers....snip...
My 2
David, you've been hanging around Elder too long

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #56
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Ownst1100,

How do you like that clipper french press? Also, the plate under your other coffee maker, is that a solid thing like a can lid or just a ring? I haven't seen something like that before.
I bought that french press at REI with my yearly dividend check. I used it once and took it back, was just too much trouble and took way too long to make a good cup of coffee. I went back to my trusty ol' $16 Ikea espresso maker, great cup in just 3 minutes. Being stainless its damn near indistructable. The ring its sitting on is store bought at REI. Can't remember what its called, it is solid and is suppose to spread out the flame and make the heat more even while using less flame. Have had it for years, have used it with all my stoves, made from stainless, used often, I do remember paying about $6 for it.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #57
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownst1100
I bought that french press at REI with my yearly dividend check. I used it once and took it back, was just too much trouble and took way too long to make a good cup of coffee. I went back to my trusty ol' $16 Ikea espresso maker, great cup in just 3 minutes. Being stainless its damn near indistructable. The ring its sitting on is store bought at REI. Can't remember what its called, it is solid and is suppose to spread out the flame and make the heat more even while using less flame. Have had it for years, have used it with all my stoves, made from stainless, used often, I do remember paying about $6 for it.
ownst1100, Nice cook set up! I'd sure like to be able to whip up some great chow on the road like you do. I pack alot of stuff that would work (small cutting board, spices, a sautee pan, small slicing and dicing knife, etc.) A little bit of luxury in the primitive areas-good food, friends and atmosphere. I ride with dudes that tend to take the quick and easy route and have not "evolved", yet . They just want to get to the booze-which is cool, but I like to do the meal thing and sneak around at 0-Dark thirty with my night vision stuff. Call me crazy, but, good chow, a few "toddy's", and nocturnal wildlife viewing is the bomb.

I'm an old bowhunter, so I guess it figures-the way I am.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #58
Oldrice
oldrice.com

Oddometer: 527
Stromdog - you and I think alike. Bet I could show you and OwnST1100 a few fun tricks with a cool kitchen setup like that nightgoggles and the outdoors - the desert works great.

Rake the ground well first.

Oldrice-

AJS Trials, CB250K0, XL250K0
Oldrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #59
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Yes, the grill-over-stove thing is shaky but can get the pan away from the flame enough to not burn a stack of mix-n-pour pancakes! When we tried them on the Whisperlite directly, they'd burn so quickly there was nothing we could do to stop it. We had the grill with us to cook up some steaks over a fire, but everywhere we went had a fire ban because of draught.

We enjoyed the $0.88 pancake mix so much, we did it a few times over the course of a two week trip. We got much better at it by the end.

We picked up some cheap plastic plates from WalMart, but they were flexible ones so we weren't concerned about them cracking under the pressure of overpacked luggage. With four riders on the trip, we got a set of plate/bowl/cup in each color and then if you didn't clean up after yourself, YOU were the only one suffering having to clean before eating the next meal.

Alone, I do the Jetboil thing with either Ramen or dehydrated camp foods.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #60
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,791
http://www.purcelltrench.com/grills.htm
Scroll to the Stream side travelers grill

T-bone
Tomato
Orange juice-quart
Snickers bar
Coffee or tea
Substitue pork chops or chicken.
Buy at the last town before camp.

For breckfast bread is nice so grab a couple of bagels.
Use your imagination,
b.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-09-2007 at 12:19 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote