Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 04:18 AM   #1516
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
The service manager tells me my bike pulled up a fault code for the evap can bieng removed(and if it's not put back on will void the emmissions warranty which includes the electronics and fuel injection )Ok. I'll put it back before/if I take it in again.
Some service managers are so weird. I live in California where the evap can is actually required, and my svc mgr has said NOTHING about my bike's "missing" canister.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:03 AM   #1517
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,555
Quote:
So I finally roll into Sturgis BMW at 920 miles today for my running in service and after admiring my milk crate,they pull it in. Waited there looking at bikes and overpriced gear and accessories for 2H 15M and they tell me I'm set to go.
$140 for an oil change $9/qt oil?What is so special about this oil? The service manager tells me my bike pulled up a fault code for the evap can bieng removed(and if it's not put back on will void the emmissions warranty which includes the electronics and fuel injection )Ok. I'll put it back before/if I take it in again.Oh well. The ride was sweet
Take it somewhere else, they obviously don't want or need your business if they are going to do that.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #1518
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,119
I got a call back from my dealer about my bike. Diagnosis is grim. I'll leave the suspense at that.

Note: They had no issue with my evap canister that got lost somewhere on the trail. Not a single mention about anything other than "Maybe we shoulda gotten you the g450x with how you're riding this thing"

Andrew

ps. My 600 mile check-up was 180$ or so. I'll be doing my own 6k checkup :)
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #1519
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
So I finally roll into Sturgis BMW at 920 miles today for my running in service and after admiring my milk crate,they pull it in. Waited there looking at bikes and overpriced gear and accessories for 2H 15M and they tell me I'm set to go.
$140 for an oil change $9/qt oil?What is so special about this oil? The service manager tells me my bike pulled up a fault code for the evap can bieng removed(and if it's not put back on will void the emmissions warranty which includes the electronics and fuel injection )Ok. I'll put it back before/if I take it in again.Oh well. The ride was sweet
If you read what they are supposed to do at the 1.000 km check, it's a lot more than an oil change. It would take a lot of time if done right.

OTOH, almost all of it you can also do easily which is why I did it myself.

My dealer said nothing about the can being off. Weird.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #1520
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
I've had a G650 XChallenge for the last 2 years and last weekend I rode the XCountry and thought it was great.................should I swap the XChallenge for the XCountry??

The XCountry was a better handler on the road, how's it for trail riding?

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #1521
bigblue23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Looking for a new seat for my xcountry. I like corbin but would be open to other ideas. Anybody replaced the seat. Or have one for sale.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #1522
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
My 600-mile service was $250.
Did you bend over for that? I believe mine was in the neighborhood of $130 (down here in PDX). I've done everything myself since then, including 6K mile service.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #1523
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue23
Looking for a new seat for my xcountry. I like corbin but would be open to other ideas. Anybody replaced the seat. Or have one for sale.
Sweet, another chance to shamelessly plug my friends. Actually I didn't even know them before my seat rebuild, but we are friends now. Mind-bogglingly comfortable (or should that be ass-bogglingly? or for some of us I guess it's the same thing...). In all seriousness I can't say enough about these guys, their product, and their service. They have the X-Country seat down to a science after using mine to build and tear down and rebuild to get it just right, and have done a couple more since then. Make sure to ask him how many Corbin seats they have cut up and tossed the Corbin foam in the trash for Iron But Riders. Now my G/F is so spoiled from mine that she is demanding to have her DR350 seat done by them!

Seat rebuilds by Cycle Solutions

In process pic:

muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #1524
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
I got a call back from my dealer about my bike. Diagnosis is grim. I'll leave the suspense at that.
What? You're gonna make us wait? Do they know for sure or are they still guessing?
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #1525
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
My 600-mile service was $250.
OUCH
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #1526
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer
I've had a G650 XChallenge for the last 2 years and last weekend I rode the XCountry and thought it was great.................should I swap the XChallenge for the XCountry??

The XCountry was a better handler on the road, how's it for trail riding?

The things that make the country better on the road are the exact things that will be a compromise off-road.

Namely, less suspension travel and smaller wheels.

Other than that, as you know, they are nearly identical.
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #1527
joe-dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
handling in rain?

I think it was Drone who said he rides alot in rain. How does it handle in rain? I've got some rain in the forecast (this is Louisiana after all), but still want to commute so just thinking about bringing my rain gear. I know this is a totally stupid question, but there's no covered area to park my xco at work. Should I cover my display area to keep it totally dry just in case? If so, is there anything especially made for this?
TIA,
J....
joe-dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #1528
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
The service manager tells me my bike pulled up a fault code for the evap can bieng removed(and if it's not put back on will void the emmissions warranty which includes the electronics and fuel injection )Ok. I'll put it back before/if I take it in again.Oh well. The ride was sweet
My stealership actually performed the canisterectomy FOR me and without being asked to do it. I had a set of HB luggage racks put on and I guess it was in the way or something. By the way; is replacing the battery a pain? I just got a new Yuasa
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #1529
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-dirt
I know this is a totally stupid question, but there's no covered area to park my xco at work. Should I cover my display area to keep it totally dry just in case? If so, is there anything especially made for this?
TIA,
J....
There are no stupid questions. (Except about oil, tires, and your engine's country of origin.)

I only park my Xcountry outside when touring. But I'm a CDO washer. (CDO is like OCD but in alphabetical order.) And I get my bike real wet when I wash it. I mean real wet for long periods of time. My neighbors think I'm watering it, perhaps hoping it will sprout.

It you're really worried, use a shower cap from Walmart. Or maybe that's the Seagrams speaking?

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #1530
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
I agree with Geoffster that the bike is relatively rainproof. You can park it and forget it. But if you have a Zumo mount on your bike, those things are more buggy around water so a baggie with an elastic band is your Zumo's friend.

As for handling, the stock Tourances are a good rain tire, actually a really good rain tire, and combined with the ABS you can ride them pretty aggressively but please let's not turn this pretty nice thread into another stupid tire thread.

DRONE screwed with this post 06-25-2009 at 07:25 AM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote