Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #1546
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord
Anybody's left leg baking in traffic?
As for your legs baking, try not to get stuck in traffic. lol! Lanesplitting is a necessary evil sometimes. Generally, when the traffic stops, I'll fine another route that will keep me moving even if it takes longer. If I'm stuck in something where I can't lanesplit, like the Holland Tunnel, I'll sometimes pop it into neutral, turn it off and coast for as long as I can.

But yeah, I feel your pain. It gets freakin hot stuck in traffic under all that gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
How many miles
I'm only up to about 7.5k on my xCountry. Most of my rides are pretty local.
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #1547
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXcountry
As for your legs baking, try not to get stuck in traffic. lol! Lanesplitting is a necessary evil sometimes. Generally, when the traffic stops, I'll fine another route that will keep me moving even if it takes longer. If I'm stuck in something where I can't lanesplit, like the Holland Tunnel, I'll sometimes pop it into neutral, turn it off and coast for as long as I can.

But yeah, I feel your pain. It gets freakin hot stuck in traffic under all that gear.
Lane splitting is illegal in NY http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=ny and it scares the shit out of me anyway:-) Some assholes just love to jut out in front of you. If it's that bad (and I don't care about a ticket), I'll cruise in the breakdown lane. Anybody with the Leo Vince?
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #1548
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
[/quote]

Hit up the autoparts store for some header wrap. It should keep you cooler.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #1549
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Hey guys/ladys,

Anybody's left leg baking in traffic? Damn, it's only June in the low 80's; what's it gonna be like when it's August in the high 90's? I got the bike in October and the heat's never really been an issue, but now it's a literal pain. I'm gonna have to ride with an oven mitt on my left thigh!

I ordered the Leo Vince (supposedly on backorder), can anybody tell me if the pipe is cooler? I heard it doesn't have the iconic BMW catalytic converter.

Tod

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Leo is MUCH cooler, both for you and the engine. Cats kill bikes.
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #1550
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Hey guys/ladys,

I don't have the LeoVince, I have the Staintune. Obviously, no cat. Did about 2 hours in 1st and 2nd gear with temps in the 80's yesterday. I wear BMW Santiago pants without any liner. Did not notice any heat. I'm guessing the LV will resolve the problem.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:26 AM   #1551
Flachlandtiroler
sincere amateur

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Hey guys/ladys,

I mounted the LV yesterday and yes, it is much cooler. Sounds (with the long insert and the spark arrestor) and looks ok,
fuel consumption sank from 5 litres/100km to 4.

Flachlandtiroler screwed with this post 06-29-2009 at 06:11 AM
Flachlandtiroler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:01 AM   #1552
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,817
Had the cat taken out of the stadard muffler last week and the heat has dropped dramatically while the mpg has risen a bit which is great.
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #1553
blantonator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz
Had the cat taken out of the stadard muffler last week and the heat has dropped dramatically while the mpg has risen a bit which is great.
how did you do this?
blantonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #1554
mxs
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi guys,

I am kind of going through the thread, trying to get an idea whether the XCountry is the bike I am looking for ..... I am kind of 70% city, twisty roads and 30% hwy. Zero offroad needs. I need a nimble, light bike. Looking at the specs the XCountry sounds like a bike which could do it.

My question is, how is the bike dealing with speeds between 110-130 km/h? I realize it will depend on the size of the rider, so I am 5'10". I understand there's nice screen available which should direct the air flow nicely to the helmet height rather than chest or neck. I almost bought a KTM Duke, until I took demo out on hwy and concluded that even 5 minutes at 120km/h was unbearable (it ecen had a KTM touring screen mounted ...). It just failed miserably in that department.

Thanks for your advice.
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #1555
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxs
Hi guys,

I am kind of going through the thread, trying to get an idea whether the XCountry is the bike I am looking for ..... I am kind of 70% city, twisty roads and 30% hwy. Zero offroad needs. I need a nimble, light bike. Looking at the specs the XCountry sounds like a bike which could do it.

Thanks for your advice.
It carves twisties, darts through traffic, and is better at long highway stretches than you would think possible for a small bike. For your needs the stock tires are probably great. just remember, while you may not think you have off road needs, your bike will.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:39 AM   #1556
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonator
how did you do this?
Ditto, and how is the sound?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #1557
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 2,217
I am also very interested to see a pic of where the stock exhaust was cut and welded.

To MXS

I just went thru the same "wondereing" as you and picked up my new Xcountry last month. With only 1100 miles it's tough to give the long report, but it has done everything I have asked of it. Paved canyon raods are a blast,Dirt roads are OK with stock rubber and the bike will do 80 MPH down the freeway just fine.Good luck!
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #1558
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit
Ditto, and how is the sound?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=650x+exhaust

I just had the cat and baffles removed from the standard muffler on my X Challenge by Motorcycle Exhaust Professionals at Springwood in Qld and replaced with their own mechanical baffles which are maintainance free and just wanted to let you know that my BMW is a very different bike to the one I rode down to the exhaust shop this morning.

It has a lot crisper throttle response at all times and allows me to pull a higher gear on hills and in corners than I used to be able to.

It runs on smoothly off throttle instead of nosediving and slowing quickly which used to upset the balance of the bike a lot, especially when lent over into corners etc. and even worse on rutted trails.

The sound is not to loud and there is no popping or crackling on deceleration or opening it up full. It idles along very smoothly in 4th and 5th where before I would have to be changing gears a bit. (the sound is very deep, they tried numerous baffles in there before they were happy with the sound they wanted.)

The heat from the exhaust is a lot lower than it was. After a few minutes of running the header pipe used to get a bit of a red glow when it was dark but it doesn't show any glow at all now in my dark garage. The muffler is noticeably cooler around my left ankle and calf now as well.

I think the fuel economy will be a lot better now.

Will let you know how the fuel economy goes but its rideability has improved a lot. (Economy has improved above what was already very good mpg)

This cost less than half the price of a new Staintune pipe over here.

Unfortunately I never weighed my muffler standard but the muffler fitter said that it is a bit lighter without the cat in there.

The cut to the pipe is in the rear silver outlet, it is completely open now and everything appears to have been taken out through the back outlet. Unfortunately I didn't get to see them work on it. I will take a photo when I get a chance.

Cruz screwed with this post 06-29-2009 at 07:13 AM
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #1559
mxs
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thanks to all who replied to my question about hwy riding. I have no doubt that the bike has the guts to do the speed. It's more a question of can the rider comfortably do it (no longer stretches, 1hr. max), considering there's not much (none) fairing in front ...

Do you guys, have all the small screen mounted on? Where is the main wind stream hitting you? Shoulders, neck or head?
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #1560
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=650x+exhaust

I just had the cat and baffles removed
Thanks for the info. You've sold me. I'm going to find a place near NYC to do this. Anybody have any recommendations?
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote