Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #1561
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,674
I have the Fly 'n Cycle Tallboy screen which gets the wind off your chest and is cheap, but I hate it overall. It's main design criteria seems to be to direct any insect passing within 18 inches of the headlight directly into you face shield or face if you are riding with glasses. I've tried repositioning it and no help. I seriously get hit with more shit than if I had no screen.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #1562
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxs
Thanks to all who replied to my question about hwy riding. I have no doubt that the bike has the guts to do the speed. It's more a question of can the rider comfortably do it (no longer stretches, 1hr. max), considering there's not much (none) fairing in front ...

Do you guys, have all the small screen mounted on? Where is the main wind stream hitting you? Shoulders, neck or head?
I've done several 500 mile days which include sections of dirt. I dont' even feel tired after this. I like the no screen because it's very QUIET (no buffeting) and smooth.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #1563
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,228
Mt Hood & The Gorge

Thought I'd share a couple pics. For those interested, I've got the BMW screeen, Acerbis universal supermoto high fender, fork guards (don't remember brand/maker), Cycra handguards, with slim "Enduro" wind deflectors, Xchallenge bash plate. Not seen the pics, I also have installed the R&G tail tidy with mini blinkers.

With Mt Hood to the north:

Out in the Columbia River Gorge, east of Portland, Oregon:

Old 06-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #1564
mxs
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I agree that the Tallboy looks unatractive at best, but the BMW one looks OK to me

mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #1565
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxs
Hi guys,

I am kind of going through the thread, trying to get an idea whether the XCountry is the bike I am looking for ..... I am kind of 70% city, twisty roads and 30% hwy. Zero offroad needs. I need a nimble, light bike. Looking at the specs the XCountry sounds like a bike which could do it.

My question is, how is the bike dealing with speeds between 110-130 km/h? I realize it will depend on the size of the rider, so I am 5'10". I understand there's nice screen available which should direct the air flow nicely to the helmet height rather than chest or neck. I almost bought a KTM Duke, until I took demo out on hwy and concluded that even 5 minutes at 120km/h was unbearable (it ecen had a KTM touring screen mounted ...). It just failed miserably in that department.

Thanks for your advice.
Hey MXS, compared to a true street bike, the front wheel of the Xcountry at and above highway speeds (with the stock Tourances) will sometimes feel....well...Not so planted. You play with the pre-load (an easy 2 min, no tool adjustment) on the rear shock and can dial it in for a smoother ride. I've been experimenting. I think this is do partly to it's off-road design. Also, there will be quite a bit more vibration due to the fact that is a single cylinder. Make a CrampBuster your first farkle.

If it was the wind blast that was unbearable on the Duke, the Xcountry will protect you no better.The $300 OEM sport screen will keep the wind off your chest, but your head will wobble at 70MPH (Sorry don't know kph) even in a moderate breeze, so you'll have to crouch. I have the Parabellum for long trips, and is VERY comfortable but dorky looking to say the least and useless off-road. There are several other screens available as well.

Anyway TEST DRIVE ONE! They're not makin' 'em anymore so when they're gone theyr'e gone.
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #1566
mxs
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik
Thought I'd share a couple pics. For those interested, I've got the BMW screeen, Acerbis universal supermoto high fender, fork guards (don't remember brand/maker), Cycra handguards, with slim "Enduro" wind deflectors, Xchallenge bash plate. Not seen the pics, I also have installed the R&G tail tidy with mini blinkers.
Very nice. Any pics of the back end tail tidy?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #1567
mxs
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord
Hey MXS, compared to a true street bike, the front wheel of the Xcountry at and above highway speeds (with the stock Tourances) will sometimes feel....well...Not so planted. You play with the pre-load (an easy 2 min, no tool adjustment) on the rear shock and can dial it in for a smoother ride. I've been experimenting. I think this is do partly to it's off-road design. Also, there will be quite a bit more vibration due to the fact that is a single cylinder. Make a CrampBuster your first farkle.

If it was the wind blast that was unbearable on the Duke, the Xcountry will protect you no better.The $300 OEM sport screen will keep the wind off your chest, but your head will wobble at 70MPH (Sorry don't know kph) even in a moderate breeze, so you'll have to crouch. I have the Parabellum for long trips, and is VERY comfortable but dorky looking to say the least and useless off-road. There are several other screens available as well.

Anyway TEST DRIVE ONE! They're not makin' 'em anymore so when they're gone theyr'e gone.
I see your point about the Duke being in the same water, but not every bike is the same. The seating position on the Duke vs. XCountry might be similar although not the same. The problem was that the Duke already had the screen, hence my questions for comparison purposes ....

I will test ride one on Saturday, but I am sure it will not have the screen so, this will not answer my questions in that regard.

On to more serious note ... did you just say that they are discontinuing XCountry???? I thought it was the Xmoto and Xchallenge they shut down .....
Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #1568
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Thought I'd share a couple pics.
I am jealous of your mountains. Nice pics!
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #1569
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,228
R&G Tail Tidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxs
Very nice. Any pics of the back end tail tidy?
Don't have a pic handy ... but this guy has it on his Xchallenge. He has different blinkers; I used the ones that came with the R&G, they are quite small and stay well clear of the exhaust.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1548

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/.../LP0049BK.aspx
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #1570
mxs
n00b

Quote:
Don't have a pic handy ... but this guy has it on his Xchallenge. He has different blinkers; I used the ones that came with the R&G, they are quite small and stay well clear of the exhaust.
Thanks. Looks good ...
Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #1571
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxs
On to more serious note ... did you just say that they are discontinuing XCountry???? I thought it was the Xmoto and Xchallenge they shut down .....
From what I heard (and I could be wrong) the '09 is the last year for the whole 650X line. The '09 Xcountry being the last. I don't believe the Xchallenge and moto even had an '08 model. I think they just said screw it and focus on the G650GS for now. It's been a bad year for motorcycle sales as everything else.
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #1572
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,674
My dealer told me at the dealers meeting they were told the G650-X bikes were done months ago. I still think if it had a decent fuel tank of at least 4 gallons, or even a practical reasonably priced forward auxiliary tank as a dealer option they would have sold better.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #1573
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Hit up the autoparts store for some header wrap. It should keep you cooler.
Just be careful about the exhaust pipe rusting through. Wet header wraps keep moisture trapped against the pipe and can over time cause it to rust out.

Another, more expensive option, is to get the pipe ceramic coated. I've not done it myself, but supposedly that will reduce radiated heat.
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #1574
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord
From what I heard (and I could be wrong) the '09 is the last year for the whole 650X line. The '09 Xcountry being the last. I don't believe the Xchallenge and moto even had an '08 model. I think they just said screw it and focus on the G650GS for now. It's been a bad year for motorcycle sales as everything else.
I spoke to a dealer in Canada, and he thinks the X-Country will stay around for awhile since the F650 is not available here. Time will tell.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #1575
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,245
I made another thread, but forgot to post in here. Long story short, sweet deal on an Akrapovic. Dealer had the problem sorted in less than a day, and the only reason I had to wait until the end of the week to get the bike was that the exhaust came in from Germany. Either way, it's awesome. I did 100-150 miles yesterday with my girlfriend riding on the back. She had no issues with it's sound, although thought I was crazy when I'd rev it certain ways to make it sound like a really loud fart

I will note to in regards to the hot leg syndrome......Are you wearing just a pair of jeans? Normally I wear riding pants over my normal pants and never felt a thing (even before with stock exhaust). Yesterday I didn't wear the riding pants and I could feel my legs cooking up. Something to look into.

Andrew

More Pics Here
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote