Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #1576
mxs
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy
I spoke to a dealer in Canada, and he thinks the X-Country will stay around for awhile since the F650 is not available here. Time will tell.
I knew I remember your alias from somewhere .... and then I noticed you used to have CBR125R.
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #1577
13darkhorse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
x frkles

I put some hepco becker crash bars on thought I would show there coverage. Quality and fit is top notch. Install in 15 minutes. seems to cover a lot of area on the bike. and seem durable.

Also installed Andrewgore's fender delete. It had an extra hole from the original location plate lamp mount, so I modded my own mini-flap underneath the plate to prevent spray on the tail light.

seems to help w/ mud spray since my mud flap is pretty much a liscense plate.

very happy w/ the plate. other recent mods done are a 15t sprocket, mini tankbag modded to tailbag, uni air filter, and some vent line reductions. Next step is knobbies.
13darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #1578
RR-
=====

Oddometer: 240
A few shots...

Just back from a week in Utah/Arizona. Had some great rides in the area between Zion and Grand Canyon North. Burr Trail was a highlight.

ZION NATIONAL PARK:

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK:

HIGHWAY 12, UTAH:

BURR TRAIL, UTAH:

RR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #1579
thebfg
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I tried to put my Hepco Becker crash bars on this weekend, but it was a short lived install when I discovered my kit came with an 85mm hex bolt instead of an 85mm allen socket cap screw/bolt. The 85mm hex bolt doesn't fit into the recess of the crash bar and b/c it doesn't fit, it isn't long enough (even if it did fit, there wouldn't be room to get a socket over it to tighten it).

On the left side, the instructions said to re-use the same bolt from the bike, but that isn't long enough either. Maybe they mean to use the one from the right side, but I didn't try that since the instructions said not to remove both bolts at the same time.

I took some measurements and ordered 90mm and 65mm socket cap screws (up from the 55mm and 40mm that are on the bike). I'd be curious what screws everyone else used, since I haven't read of any install problems like this before.

My Hepco Becker sidecase rack install went smoothly though, as did the Barkbuster VPS handguards.
thebfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #1580
13darkhorse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
thebjg, wrong hardware definitly sucks. You do reuse the Right side OE bolt on the left. If memory serves me correct, the lengths were the same from the R/H bolt and one supplied from H/B.

and RR, you always have nice pics. are those TKCs?
13darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #1581
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-
Just back from a week in Utah/Arizona.
Beautiful! And nice composition too. I've got to get out to that area sometime.
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #1582
RR-
=====

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13darkhorse
and RR, you always have nice pics. are those TKCs?
Thanks on the pics.

Yes, TKCs, brand new for the trip. Got a flat first day out. They felt good thereafter, on paved and unpaved roads.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #1583
RR-
=====

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXcountry
Beautiful! And nice composition too. I've got to get out to that area sometime.
Thanks, Urban. Come on out!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:14 AM   #1584
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
Andrew, it looks like you were successful in putting Kenda rears on both ends of your bike.

How do you like them? The front looks incredibly aggressive!

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #1585
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,994
Andrew-I would love to know how the exhaust came about.Last we heard it was going in for some warranty work.Did you get some "credit" for a new one? Is that the brand BMW recommends? Sound? Power?
Tires look awesome

Geoffster-What's a school teacher doing up so early in the summer? Going for a ride? Jealous
plumber mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:57 AM   #1586
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
Geoffster-What's a school teacher doing up so early in the summer? Going for a ride? Jealous
I wish I was. (sigh) I'm in St. Louis until late July because my mom had a severe stroke.

Brothers and sisters, enjoy your Xcountry while mine slumbers in my garage 1,842 miles away!

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #1587
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,211
Geoffster,
I did get the knobbies on the bike. The front that I had on the bike was a Maxxis MaxxCross IT. My Kenda front didn't come in in time, so I ran up to a local MX shop and picked up that tire. It was a bit wide since it's a rear, but it worked quite well. The Kenda rear was a hoot. More grip than you can shake a stick at. The guys I was riding with in the UP put riding behind me like this: "Imagine putting on your gear, and then standing out in a driving range." Apparently the Kenda will pick up bowling ball sized rocks and hurl them at whoever is behind you

The only downside I had with the tires was this. We were riding on 2-way trails. The pace we were riding was just too fast. Although it felt great keeping up with guys on them KTM's, Yamaha's and whatnot, it was just not safe. Too great of a chance for someone to be coming around a turn in the opposite direction. I guess I could have just not got on the gas so much, but where is the fun in that? That being said, even with as fast as I was going on the BMW, I hopped on my buddies KTM 525, and holy crap. Imagine G650X power with 80 pounds less. Nothing like pegged in 6th gear (70 or so) and just lifting up the front wheel and riding it out. Now I can do the same on the BMW, but it's just not as easy. MMMM Great bike, but not nearly as comfortable seat\ergonomics of my xCountry.

Plumber Mike,
So you want to know the full scoop on how I scored the exhaust eh? Basically in the UP it lost all the power. I took it to the dealer last Monday. I figured I could figure it out myself in about 10 minutes, but what good is a warranty then? They called me back the next day laughing up a storm. The words were "What on earth did you do to this exhaust. It sounds like you filled it with a bunch of marbles. " I got a kick out of that. Anywho, he gave me a couple options. He said a replacement OEM exhaust cost is around 900$. I go, ha take that Mr. Warranty. He then says Option 2 is to use that 900$ towards an Akrapovic and just pay the difference. I thought about it for a bit and told him I'd call him back. On one hand, I've always wanted an aftermarket exhaust, but I've never felt the need for more power and I like the quiet aspect of stock. I tried finding some reviews\pictures\videos of the thing, but despite searching the depths of the internet, I found nothing. With this newfound lack of knowledge, I said "what the hey....lets get it" Called em back and got it ordered up. They did have a 3rd option of getting another OEM exhaust and down the road as the dealer put it "You're just gonna break it again with how you're riding", get the Akrapovic. I figure that wasn't worth the hassle.

So to sum up the exhaust....hmmmm
Fit\Finish: The BEST. There is a reason that this exhaust is so dang expensive. The carbon fiber is perfectly smooth. The mounting brackets are perfect, the welds are perfect. You get what you pay for fit and finish. Not a single gap in anything. Just down right slick.

Sound: At idle the bike is noticeably louder than stock, yet you can still talk to someone standing next to you. When the bike is revved or you're under power....It's a different story. It sounds like the bowels of Hell have been unleashed as the bike lifts the front tire. The other reason this exhaust is expensive is that despite the exhausts loudness level, it is not too loud while riding, and the tone that it puts out is just music to your ears. I've heard cheap exhausts, I've used cheap exhausts. There is a science to proper exhaust tone and on this one, they did all they could to make it sing like a canary (a canary on steroids, with a marching band bass drum for a heart, jumping on a trampoline sized timpani). The greatest thing I loved about it was that while going for a cruise Sunday with my girlfriend on back, she never once complained about the sound of the exhaust. And despite not having headsets to communicate with, we were able to still talk to each other. Granted we had to yell a bit, but what can you say? We both had full face helmets on and the wind isn't exactly quiet.

So there yah have it If you got the money or get lucky like me, go for the Akrapovic over any of the others. Then again I guess I'm a bit biased.

To touch back again on the tire situation, I am looking to sell the Kenda's and Maxxis tires. They work on the road and all, but I'd rather have the TKC's on with having my GF on the back. Knobbies are great, but just not quite as confidence inspiring. That and I want to get some new tires for my old Kawi.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #1588
plumber mike
Born again

Well I guess I put off getting protection too long and paid the price. I think I totalled the bike .Low speed left side get off broke the clutch lever.Bummer right.Take it 5 miles back home and notice the peg "feels" bent.So I go to put the kickstand down in the driveway and the peg bends over with it .It is broken at the frame and on the engine.FUCK!! I guess my first call is to the insurance company?Advice please.I think i'm too rough around the edges for a BMW.And only 1200 miles.I'll get some pics up later.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #1589
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
Well I guess I put off getting protection too long and paid the price. I think I totalled the bike .Low speed left side get off broke the clutch lever.Bummer right.Take it 5 miles back home and notice the peg "feels" bent.So I go to put the kickstand down in the driveway and the peg bends over with it .It is broken at the frame and on the engine.FUCK!! I guess my first call is to the insurance company?Advice please.I think i'm too rough around the edges for a BMW.And only 1200 miles.I'll get some pics up later.
1st call IS to the insurance company but they'll want it towed to a BMW dealer for a mechanics appraisal. Might as well let your dealer know it's coming. Swapping out everything to replace the frame prolly will NOT be a total but freakin expensive fer sure! Bike will be out of service for months so maybe start looking for another ride to get you through the season.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #1590
plumber mike
Born again

10-4 on a summer replacement .Thanks for the advice.