Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #211
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
100 mpg?? I've never reached that.

It all depends on you right wrist anyway. The more hooliganistic you ride, the worse it gets. But it's always better than any bike I've owned before. Most of the time between 20 and 25 kms to the ltr.
By the way Max, What about rerouting the pipes like the duke KTM or desert rally bikes to leave some rooms to be able to increase the fuel tank on the left end side. Possibly a gain of 3 liters still under the seat!

lewiss66 screwed with this post 05-14-2008 at 01:41 PM
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #212
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
I think I have a better option.

Fuel range now exceeds 300kms.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #213
deli-g650
bring'n the funk

Oddometer: 195
i also removed the airbox cover and intalled an after-market foam filter. my seat of the pants dyno did notice a little gain. that mixed with the remus exhaust and (wow) seems like a new bike...
Old 05-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #214
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

yep! I saw your mod. It's a great idea and nicely designed. I was actually thinking of a more city oriented fuel tank since I ride it 70% to commute to work.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #215
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli-g650
i also removed the airbox cover and intalled an after-market foam filter. my seat of the pants dyno did notice a little gain. that mixed with the remus exhaust and (wow) seems like a new bike...
Hi deli-g650,
Did you notice an increase in the fuel consumption with all your mods?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #216
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by deli-g650
pfb
so....... you bought arasacho bike and now your selling it.
Yea, I'm still not 100% sure I want to sell it, but I put it up on craigslist. Not trying to make any money off it, just get what I have into it. Not sure how often I would opt for the Country vs. the 950. Definitely better city bike, definitely a better "low" bike for my wife to ride, but I like power wheelies.

Quote:
also....
did you put the high fender on that bike? -
No, just reposting the pic from the German web site mentioned. Note no TKC's, hand guards, and the big license plate...

Quote:
also looks like you got the fly screen mounted up..... hows it working out for ya?
Like the fly screen very much. It not only helps with airflow, but the bike looks better with it IMHO. BMW screen is way expensive, this one is only $70 or so.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #217
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
Yea, I'm still not 100% sure I want to sell it, but I put it up on craigslist. Not trying to make any money off it, just get what I have into it. Not sure how often I would opt for the Country vs. the 950. Definitely better city bike, definitely a better "low" bike for my wife to ride, but I like power wheelies.
pfb - is the 950 really so good on trails that it can make up for the extra hundred pounds it has on the xcountry? I know it has a 21" rim, better suspension, and better ground clearance, but i was just wondering how far the weight difference with the xcountry might go toward making it a preferred trail mount - power wheelies and meter high jumps notwithstanding?
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #218
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
pfb - is the 950 really so good on trails that it can make up for the extra hundred pounds it has on the xcountry?
In a word, yes.

It's pretty impressive on technical trails. It can be a bitch to pick up, though, especially when wheels up on a slope. Of course you have to be willing to get a few scratches on the bike as well.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #219
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,673
What is the V-strom doing for you that the X-Country or the Ktm 950 can't?
Just asking.
Rob
Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #220
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO
What is the V-strom doing for you that the X-Country or the Ktm 950 can't?
Just asking.
Rob
Totaly legit question...

The Strom is set up with much more street oriented tires, and is a great road bike IMHO. It also is better for two-up riding. My wife isn't all that fond of the back of the 950. I personally wouldn't do more than fire roads on the Strom, but I know many here ride them like a dirt bike.

I'll also add that having so many dual-sport bikes is definitely redundant. I just enjoy trying many of them. I've had every flavor of BMW GS except for the 1200, KLR's, DRZs, XR's and a few others. I often buy them clean and used, like Asaracho's bike, to avoid massive first year depreciation and sell them a few months or years later.

I even tried a Harley last Summer. A gorgeous Superglide custom. It took about 3 rides to decide I'll stick to dual sports!

pfb screwed with this post 05-10-2008 at 07:47 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #221
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Yep, the snorkel thingy. I did that after a week on my Xchallenge, and I don't even know where I left it. Never put it back on. It makes the breathe more freely without much extra noise. All it does is produce a nice throaty snarl in the airbox.

I can't speak for any aftermarket filters, I still use the stock ones. They the Unifilter option releases another pony. Low down torque has improved though with just the snorkel removed, which was what I was looking for.

The 14 tooth front sprocket does reduce top speed, and on the street you don't really need it. Come to think of it, the Xcountry comes stock with a 16 tooth sprocket, so gearing down to 15 tooth will be more than enough without sacrificing top speed too much. I have an 18" rear wheel where the Xcountry has a 17" one. One tooth down on the front still makes the bike go over 95 mph, more than enough for me.

My bike shifts good anyway, it has never been a problem. A bit notchy and when it misses a gear it's always my left foot who's to blame. I have noticed though on both my F650 Dakar and my current Xchallenge semisynth does improve shifting.
Max Kool,
Do you have any dyno test to show what it means and power commander to increase fuel. I don't see much of them on the net.

lewiss66 screwed with this post 05-11-2008 at 07:33 AM
Old 05-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #222
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
I believe it was BMWAtlanta who did a dyno run with and without the snorkel. The difference was something like 1 or 2 hp over the whole rev range. I do know from my butt that especially the throttle response has increased without the snorkel.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #223
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,673
Tail Tidy Mod Continued

As many of you know, I replaced the stock rear fender/mudguard/parachute contraption with a tail tidy.

While I love the tail tidy because of how much garbage it replaced, I wasn't keen on how much crap it allowed on my back. So I started looking at the three peices of original fender and found that the original, lower mud guard looked like it might fit.......

I had to do some cutting, and re-shaping to get it to mount without hitting my stock turn signals. You might notice that I was able to keep my stock turn signals and plate light, all without cutting the wiring harness.
It bolts on in three places and is very secure.

I was hoping that it wouldn't look to large. That was one of the reasons I invested in the Tail Tidy in the first place.
I will tell you that the amount of splashback after the mod is greatly reduced.

What do you think????

Old 05-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #224
Rob Metzger
Easily Distracted ....

Oddometer: 23
I'm back. Yep - I did install the Remus pipe on my G650 and found that it would not, no matter what I tried, or anyone else tried, work with the stock header. Max Moto, and Don at Mr. Ed's Moto, were very helpful, as was BMW Ventura. Eventually, Remus acknowledged that the stock header would not fit, and now they only sell the pipe with the header. They provided me with a header. BMW Ventura had one (dented, but ceramic-coated) no longer used on one of their race bikes. The fit was tight but successful. The result was amazing. The bike is transformed. Have a look at my postings on The Chain Gang site. Best one is http://f650.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=219288.
Rob Metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #225
deli-g650
bring'n the funk

Oddometer: 195
robbieO...nice tail tidy ya got there.

rob... great write up... thanks for keeping us posted...

so i am looking to do a mid-service oil change and was wondering what oil every one is using that is equal to the bmw brand.... i live about 2 hours from a dealer and they dont recommend anything else.
also... what size is that damn oil drain plug? i am going to have to go get some new sockets.