ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #5716
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bykemeister View Post
hope you don't mind if i ask another question.
if i take a weekend trip with my X-country, i need some place to store my toothbrush
and jammies.
i have a small hardig-storm case from another bike that i would like to attach to the X.
question- is the sw motech rear rack flat on top so that i can bolt the storm case to it,
and will it be back far enough to still allow the removal of the seat if nessary?
thanks.

That should work just fine. If you must, you can simply create some new bolt holes in your top plate and move everything rearward. You could also improvise a new top plate with some easily obtainable aluminum stock.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #5717
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibyk View Post
Hi,

just wanted to say hello and thanks....

I have been following this thread for quite a while and it is a goldmine of information about XCountry. I am proud owner of 2008 XCountry but it is a very rare bird over here (i.e. Poland) as very few (I was told by a guy from local BMW hub that less than 20) were ever imported and sold on the local market so for me all the information provided by all you guys in this thread was really priceless and helped me to make up my mind about this bike.

I am complete newbie as far as motorcycles go - this is my first real bike (before I rode "bike'alike" contraption called Sachs Madass which did not require a licence for the simple reason of being a moped), I got my A licence in August and so far I have done something like 1500 miles - mostly city riding and paved roads. Switch from 50 ccm automatic to 650 ccm manual was quite a challenge but after riding XCo for about two weeks I took a short ride on the Sachs and it felt like flying on rather slow and very hard broom at low altitude

My bike looks like this:



So far no mods except hand protectors and engine bars but I am thinking about some bits and pieces for the next season including Rekluse clutch.

Peter

Now that is one fiiine lookin bike ! (Im biased)

Ride it a while before you do too much. You may change your mind on what you wanna do to it.

My stock clutch works just fine.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #5718
pibyk
Adventurer
 
pibyk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Now that is one fiiine lookin bike ! (Im biased)

Ride it a while before you do too much. You may change your mind on what you wanna do to it.

My stock clutch works just fine.
My stock clutch also works fine but to be honest I really miss flexibility provided by auto-clutch especially riding between the lanes in stop-and-go city traffic so Rekluse looks like reasonable compromise. On average I commute 30 miles per day, out of which 10-15 miles in quite heavy traffic jams. I know that Rekluse was not meant as city riding aid but after quite extensive email exchange with snooker (who by the way provided me with an excellent insight into Rekluse workings - Thanks a lot snooker) I decided to have a go at this magic clutch. I would have installed Rekluse immediately but I wanted to keep standard clutch before taking my exams for motorcycle licence in order to improve my riding skills. Switch from auto to manual for me was real pain in the ass

By the way - I searched the forum and found nothing but maybe somebody would know:

a) is there a way to change the clock from 12 to 24 H display mode ?
b) is there a way to change the timing of turn signal alarm ?

I asked the dealer and was told that: "well, the electronics in X Country are very simple and we do not know how to change those settings in this bike"

Peter
pibyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #5719
HamSammich
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 4
Hi all!

Great informative stuff here!

Sorry if this is a rehash, but I'll use my noob mulligan here.....I've tried to search around,,,but can't seem to find anything definitive...

I have an opportunity to pick up a 2009 Xco for a very good price...I haven't had the chance to ride it yet, and I'm wondering how accommodating is the bike for taller/larger riders? From what I've gathered, taller seat, lower pegs, risers, suspension work, seem to do the trick for most.....but I'd like any firsthand opinions that I can get...

I'm 6'3" @240.....and I'd be taking the bike into harms way..(lotsa trail work)

To be honest, the Xco is not the bike that I was looking for originally......My riding consists of 30 road/ 70 dirt and I was strongly leaning towards the TE610...( I know...different animal) but this particular screaming deal on the '09 came up and turned my head a bit...and I've only budgeted for one bike....

Thanks in advance of any replies...

Ham
HamSammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #5720
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,555
Ham--

I would say it's not the right bike. XChallenge, OK. XCountry, no. It's basically a street bike that you can modify to use on dirt, as many here have, but it will never be a dirt bike or anything close to the TE610. It doesn't have the clearance, or the rear travel of a dirt bike, and the ergos are not right for a big guy standing even if you change the pegs and risers. Plus, by the time you finish doing all the mods you'll need to do just to make it work for a guy 6'3", you will have spent more than if you'd bought the Husqvarna or an XChallenge.

I'm 6'1". Snooker's tall--he might disagree--but for 70% dirt I'd say you want a different bike.
__________________
WUMPA
Sidecardogs.com
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #5721
HamSammich
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Ham--

I would say it's not the right bike. XChallenge, OK. XCountry, no. It's basically a street bike that you can modify to use on dirt, as many here have, but it will never be a dirt bike or anything close to the TE610. It doesn't have the clearance, or the rear travel of a dirt bike, and the ergos are not right for a big guy standing even if you change the pegs and risers. Plus, by the time you finish doing all the mods you'll need to do just to make it work for a guy 6'3", you will have spent more than if you'd bought the Husqvarna or an XChallenge.

I'm 6'1". Snooker's tall--he might disagree--but for 70% dirt I'd say you want a different bike.
Thanks for the response, Drone...that's pretty much what I expected to hear based on my readings so far......and I appreciate the honesty...Just needed to hear it directly...


But it's a smokin' deal....hmmm...maybe I can convince the boss that she needs one....how do they handle 2 up?....
HamSammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:29 AM   #5722
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSammich View Post
Hi all!

Great informative stuff here!

Sorry if this is a rehash, but I'll use my noob mulligan here.....I've tried to search around,,,but can't seem to find anything definitive...

I have an opportunity to pick up a 2009 Xco for a very good price...I haven't had the chance to ride it yet, and I'm wondering how accommodating is the bike for taller/larger riders? From what I've gathered, taller seat, lower pegs, risers, suspension work, seem to do the trick for most.....but I'd like any firsthand opinions that I can get...

I'm 6'3" @240.....and I'd be taking the bike into harms way..(lotsa trail work)

To be honest, the Xco is not the bike that I was looking for originally......My riding consists of 30 road/ 70 dirt and I was strongly leaning towards the TE610...( I know...different animal) but this particular screaming deal on the '09 came up and turned my head a bit...and I've only budgeted for one bike....

Thanks in advance of any replies...

Ham

I endorse what Drone says.

If you are 6-3, 240 and wanna do 70 percent dirt, I dont think the XCo is for you. It was not designed for that. You'll find it too small, too low, too softly sprung, with a front tire too small and a host of other things.

The XCo was intended as a dual-sport machine to compliment the XCh which was much more dirt-oriented and the XMoto which was a two-wheeled roller skate. The XCh dirt bikes havent been offered in 4 or 5 years now so they are fading into history.

The big Husky V's and KTM's are currently in a league of their own and may be your ticket. Comparing a 610 to a little XCo is not only like comparing apples to oranges but apples on Mars to oranges on Venus.

If you can, test ride them both and you will see.

Yes, as many folks on here have done, you can make modifications on the XCo to make it more of a dirt bike. I never quite followed some of that logic but I guess it can be a fun thing to do. As was mentioned, this can be a very expensive endeavor and you'd be better off buying a machine designed more for your desires as you state them.

Having said all of that, let me digress a little on my XCo. I'm 6-2 and 210 (may be more this morning after the plate of ribs I had yestrerday). I have been there and done that for just about any sort of riding, including hard core dirt. I really love off road running but I want the versatility of being able to run pavement too. I like to travel distance, if necessary, and then get off on dirt trails and roads and give it hell. I don't wanna be constrained by having to trailer a bike.

I currently have a 1200GS which is my fourth such bike and it has served me well. I've used it to criss-cross the continent and I do take the GS off-road many times.

Over the years I've had those big bikes in situations of great amusement. I've scaled the side of mountains where we needed cable winches to slowly winch the bikes almost vertical up the rock slopes to get on trails we could run. I have forded rivers and creeks so deep that Ive had brown trout swim OVER THE TOP of my seat during the process (ended up having to rope it out of the creek on that one).

Anyway, a little over a year ago, I sold a pristine Triumph Bonneville that I simply loved on the road. It was so small, so light and so narrow. I was trying to thin-out my herd a little.

After the Bonny was gone, I bemoaned the passing of the nimble little bike.

In that mental state, I happened upon a BMW dealer and noticed an XCo on the floor. I had been familiar with the X series but never given them a serious look.

I sat on the little bike and it reminded me of a cross between the light little Triumph and my GS. Hey, a light little bike that I can do dirt AND pavement with. ABS too ! I bought it.

Since that time, I have spent more time converting it to be able to do long distance road running than hard core off-road running. I had to fit an auxiliary fuel tank, center stand (got it tucked-up ok), rear rack, exhaust (Akra ouch), opened the air induction track, booster plug, custom Corbin seat (stock is horrible), decent windshield, tachometer, radar detector, GPS, and several other little doo dads. I've recently added a 17 tooth front sprocket.

The little bike trears up ass for me right now. I've taken it on several long runs 1500-2000 miles each and then put it in the woods. When I'm not on the highway or scratching around in the dirt, the XCo provides me with a pretty sporty little bike for carving-up curvy mountain roads in North Carolina. It has worked well and I intend to keep it.

Would I want it for 70 percent dirt ? No way. In fact, if dirt was my primary interest, I'd go with something else. The XCo does fine for me on dirt and I regularly take it on some pretty challenging stuff but it is not set up as a dirt bike. Mine is set up as a mini GS and it works well.

In spite of all that praise, in retrospect, I am not sure I would buy the XCo again. As I have told several friends who indicated an interest, I would probably go for the single-cylinder 650GS.

The current G650GS (past F650GS single) comes already set-up in a way more conducive to what I do and would not require all the time and effort that I've spent on converting the XCo. The 650GS has a bigger tank ( 4 gallons), saddlebag racks and capability, a tachometer and a centerstand is offered.

Anyway, for 70 percent dirt running there are many good choices out there. The expensive eurobikes like Husky and KTM are joined by a selection of more-affordable asian iron. Do it.

Just my ramblings on a humid sunday morning.

leafman60 screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 07:10 AM
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #5723
HamSammich
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
I endorse what Drone says.

If you are 6-3, 240 and wanna do 70 percent dirt, I dont think the XCo is for you. It was not designed for that. You'll find it too small, too low, too softly sprung, with a front tire too small and a host of other things.

The XCo was intended as a dual-sport machine to compliment the XCh which was much more dirt-oriented and the XMoto which was a two-wheeled roller skate. The XCh dirt bikes havent been offered in 4 or 5 years now so they are fading into history.

The big Husky V's and KTM's are currently in a league of their own and may be your ticket. Comparing a 610 to a little XCo is not only like comparing apples to oranges but apples on Mars to oranges on Venus.

If you can, test ride them both and you will see.

Yes, as many folks on here have done, you can make modifications on the XCo to make it more of a dirt bike. I never quite followed some of that logic but I guess it can be a fun thing to do. As was mentioned, this can be a very expensive endeavor and you'd be better off buying a machine designed more for your desires as you state them.

Having said all of that, let me digress a little on my XCo. I'm 6-2 and 210 (may be more this morning after the plate of ribs I had yestrerday). I have been there and done that for just about any sort of riding, including hard core dirt. I really love off road running but I want the versatility of being able to run pavement too. I like to travel distance, if necessary, and then get off on dirt trails and roads and give it hell. I don't wanna be constrained by having to trailer a bike.

I currently have a 1200GS which is my fourth such bike and it has served me well. I've used it to criss-cross the continent and I do take the GS off-road many times.

Over the years I've had those big bikes in situations of great amusement. I've scaled the side of mountains where we needed cable winches to slowly winch the bikes almost vertical up the rock slopes to get on trails we could run. I have forded rivers and creeks so deep that Ive had brown trout swim OVER THE TOP of my seat during the process (ended up having to rope it out of the creek on that one).

Anyway, a little over a year ago, I sold a pristine Triumph Bonneville that I simply loved on the road. It was so small, so light and so narrow. I was trying to thin-out my herd a little.

After the Bonny was gone, I bemoaned the passing of the nimble little bike.

In that mental state, I happened upon a BMW dealer and noticed an XCo on the floor. I had been familiar with the X series but never given them a serious look.

I sat on the little bike and it reminded me of a cross between the light little Triumph and my GS. Hey, a light little bike that I can do dirt AND pavement with. ABS too ! I bought it.

Since that time, I have spent more time converting it to be able to do long distance road running than hard core off-road running. I had to fit an auxiliary fuel tank, center stand (got it tucked-up ok), rear rack, exhaust (Akra ouch), opened the air induction track, booster plug, custom Corbin seat (stock is horrible), decent windshield, tachometer, radar detector, GPS, and several other little doo dads. I've recently added a 17 tooth front sprocket.

The little bike trears up ass for me right now. I've taken it on several long runs 1500-2000 miles each and then put it in the woods. When I'm not on the highway or scratching around in the dirt, the XCo provides me with a pretty sporty little bike for carving-up curvy mountain roads in North Carolina. It has worked well and I intend to keep it.

Would I want it for 70 percent dirt ? No way. In fact, if dirt was my primary interest, I'd go with something else. The XCo does fine for me on dirt and I regularly take it on some pretty challenging stuff but it is not set up as a dirt bike. Mine is set up as a mini GS and it works well.

In spite of all that praise, in retrospect, I am not sure I would buy the XCo again. As I have told several friends who indicated an interest, I would probably go for the single-cylinder 650GS.

The current G650GS (past F650GS single) comes already set-up in a way more conducive to what I do and would not require all the time and effort that I've spent on converting the XCo. The 650GS has a bigger tank ( 4 gallons), saddlebag racks and capability, a tachometer and a centerstand is offered.

Anyway, for 70 percent dirt running there are many good choices out there. The expensive eurobikes like Husky and KTM are joined by a selection of more-affordable asian iron. Do it.

Just my ramblings on a humid sunday morning.
Excellent. All replies have made perfect sense to me. I'm in Northwest Montana....and the appeal of a small road bike (that can also run some trails) is gaining traction with me....I've always had unplated mx bikes...CRF and YZ 450's and KTM 520/525's.....but sold them all @ eight years ago (kids).....but I'm jonesing again....Truth is, I wouldn't be able to do highly technical stuff as hard as I used to anyway...but would certainly need something that could handle washouts, ruts, creek crossings, the occasional log, the loose stuff, etc, that ALL of the two track trails have up here....without having to trailer it in.

Since this deal on the Xco came to my attention...I've tried to imagine myself running the glorious paved twisties and then taking it through the river and over the woods..... at a more careful pace, of course...the price is that good...and I've never owned anything like an adventure bike.....

But reality can be a biotch, can't she?

I started all this searching over the last few weeks, convinced that I would be riding an XR650R by now...

HamSammich screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 11:40 AM
HamSammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #5724
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,662
You are a mighty big man for the little XCo. Have you actually seen one ? sat on it ?
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #5725
imeny
Gnarly Adventurer
 
imeny's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Israel
Oddometer: 129
Sr-racing exaust

just bought sr-racing exhaust from Stephan.
video coming soon!!!
imeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #5726
HamSammich
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
You are a mighty big man for the little XCo. Have you actually seen one ? sat on it ?
Seen yes, but never rode one or sat on one, I realize it's a small bike....there is a long back story on why I'm even considering this bike, I won't bore anyone with the details .. it's a quick "take it or leave it" situation from a distance....the more online research I do, the more I am convinced that it's just not the bike for me...screaming deal or not...but the current owner is taller than I am and at least as gravity challenged...and he claims he has little/no problems with the ergos.....

I'm gonna let this opportunity slide..

Thanks for the replies!
HamSammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #5727
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,662
Does anyone ever visit the X model section of F650.com ? Very little action over there.

Looks like the X models are gradually fading into history since BMW ceased production of them. The XCountry was cancelled 3 model years ago. The XMoto and XChallenge were eliminated 5 model years ago.

The small aftermarket offerings for the bike is already beginning to shrink.

Even some of the most enthusiastic owners who formed much of the thread content here in years past have moved on to other bikes and gotten out of the X.

There's a wealth of info here and we need to try to keep it going.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #5728
Niedz
Studly Adventurer
 
Niedz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Oddometer: 609
yes get your farkles while there are still farkles to be had!
__________________
fabrication fun, rack n roll
Niedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #5729
seamarsh
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: North of Arizona Bay
Oddometer: 90
WTS 2009 xcountry OEM shock

Anyone know what these go for or if anyone even buys them?

I have one off my xcountry.. it had 4000miles on it..works fine.. I installed an xchallenge take off.

I was thinking $120.00 shipped.. would that be a fair price?..

please advise thanks!
seamarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #5730
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
Anyone know what these go for or if anyone even buys them?

I have one off my xcountry.. it had 4000miles on it..works fine.. I installed an xchallenge take off.

I was thinking $120.00 shipped.. would that be a fair price?..

please advise thanks!
I can't think of a reason why anybody would want one. Since the shock is one of the biggest complaints there is for this bike, if anybody needs to replace the shock, why would they buy OEM?

I suppose maybe if it was a 2007 shock, maybe a 2009 owner would take it.

If I were you, I'd try "Free, plus cost of shipping."
__________________
WUMPA
Sidecardogs.com
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014