Oddometer: 3,582
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #6032
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
If any of you want to upgrade your forks to something with more travel and adjustability the conversion to WP43mm from a 2000 to 2002 ktm is super easy. all you need is..

A set of forks.. found some for 80.00 on fleabay.. a little beat but ok..

1. Bore out right fork clamp from 24mm to 25mm to fit the Xco axle (I just used a dremel tool with a drum sander attachment.. took awhile but I'm stubborn its actually more like .5mm to remove)

2. Buy ktm part 60113049100 for brake caliper 75.00$

3. 2X6mm spacers and 2X40mm m8 bolts (I made the spacers out of some aluminum bits I had lying around, they were actually from a spacer for the triple clamp bolt brake line holder that came off when I installed a screen.

That's it.. otherwise its a straight bolt on.. I'm going with a high fender if you wanted to keep the low one you would have to make some brackets to mount the support arms.. that would be really basic.

I'll post some picts when I get the high fender and fork guards on...

Shout out to PlumberMike and Jester who both provided information on the swap...

Ohh and the kick stand has to be extended now.. the bike is so tall its almost laying on its side! needs another 4inches.. and I'm not bolting a hole saw or a hockey puck to it!!:P
why not get a KTM axle and do a 21" wheel?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #6033
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
You got me thinking now.. what would be a good rear shock to replace the stock?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #6034
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
You got me thinking now.. what would be a good rear shock to replace the stock?
Hyperpro...no question !
mikecbrxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #6035
seamarsh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
why not get a KTM axle and do a 21" wheel?
You could do that but you would have to use the KTM triples.. the stock Xco triples are much wider... and that is a much , much more involved swap.. If you are going that route you might as well use WP48mm forks from a newer KTM.. these are miles ahead of the 43mm WP's. Or you could do some Marzocchi Shivers.. Point is this is a really easy and cheap swap.. so if you want some adjustable longer travel forks this is a no brainer.

If I go to 21 in the front I'll probably just lace one up to my stock hub.... but I think the 19" will be fine... I dont want a super offroader.. just a little more than stock... wish I had more tire choice.. but oh well.. I primarily wanted to get rid of the stink bug effect from having the Xchallenge air shock and 2009 Xco front shocks.. it was way out of balance!
seamarsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #6036
seamarsh
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I am doing the Acerbis 1.3 gallon tank mounted to the back of my Happy Trails aluminum luggage.
Wow, and that's on the back of the Xco! Holy god man dont get rear ended!

I WAS HOPING THAT ONE OF THOSE MIGHT FIT INBOARD OF THE HB RACK.. BUT LOOKS PRETTY BIG..damn caps again! sorry.. is that the 1.3? I guess I have to look at it in person.

I think that one of these would fit on the inboard side.. think its only a gallon..and kind of pricey.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...0407-Ktm-Black

Was a guy who put on on his xchallenge..looked pretty sweet!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1031
Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #6037
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
i fitted mazoc shivers a while back , straight in ,just unscrewed the axle clamps and swapped them.
Now i,m just fitting a a ktm 21" wheel, fairly straightforward, though I haven,t decided which mudguard to use yet ?

The only problem i might have is the 300mm travel with the big wheel, i wander what sort of job it is to shorten the stroke by around 40/50mm ?
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #6038
seamarsh
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post
i fitted mazoc shivers a while back , straight in ,just unscrewed the axle clamps and swapped them.
Now i,m just fitting a a ktm 21" wheel, fairly straightforward, though I haven,t decided which mudguard to use yet ?

The only problem i might have is the 300mm travel with the big wheel, i wander what sort of job it is to shorten the stroke by around 40/50mm ?
on an xcountry?. I thought you had to mill out the bottom lugs to gain access to the compression valve and clickers?

You can fit a ktm wheel but ktm axle will be too short to use.. referring to the previous poster.. honestly if going that route may be better to get some used clamps that way you could use a ktm wheel no worries.... just have to machine the clamps to fit the head bearing on the Xco.

I think its pretty involved process to lower travel..shorter spring..spacers.. you should be totally fine with 300mm of travel.. thats standard on dirtbikes that run 21 inch wheel.

My .02
Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #6039
seamarsh
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post

Forgot to mention.. this is the one I bought..hasnt arrived yet..

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...PERMOTO+FENDER

I think Muddy Rabbit uses..

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...PERMOTO+FENDER

Cheers
Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #6040
seamarsh
Adventurer

Kenda big block front

Anyone running one on xcountry?

I'm thinking about running Kenda Big Block on front and a Michelin T63 out back...

Any opinions..

I read so many posts about the Kenda BB wearing quickly was the reasoning behind using the T63

The reasoning for the Kenda BB in front was that it was 'like' or close to the TKC80 front but cheaper..

Thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #6041
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I apologise ,yes i had to mill out the lugs, it was some time ago now. I also have had to lengthen the wheel spindle and space out the caliper in order to centralise the wheel, nothing major. I also drilled the bmw disc to line up with the ktm mounting bolts.
At the moment it looks like i should be able to mount the abs ring as well.
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #6042
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Anyone running one on xcountry?

I'm thinking about running Kenda Big Block on front and a Michelin T63 out back...

Any opinions..

I read so many posts about the Kenda BB wearing quickly was the reasoning behind using the T63

The reasoning for the Kenda BB in front was that it was 'like' or close to the TKC80 front but cheaper..

Thanks
Check the F650GS forums for real-world comments about the Kenda BB ... and report back!

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #6043
seamarsh
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
Check the F650GS forums for real-world comments about the Kenda BB ... and report back!
links?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #6044
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,582
Quote:
Wow, and that's on the back of the Xco! Holy god man dont get rear ended!

I WAS HOPING THAT ONE OF THOSE MIGHT FIT INBOARD OF THE HB RACK.. BUT LOOKS PRETTY BIG..damn caps again! sorry.. is that the 1.3? I guess I have to look at it in person.

I think that one of these would fit on the inboard side.. think its only a gallon..and kind of pricey.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...0407-Ktm-Black

Was a guy who put on on his xchallenge..looked pretty sweet!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1031
Im not concerned about getting blown up, it's no different than hanging any other fuel container back there, and theseare very thick. A hell of a lot tougher than the aluminum fuel bottle option.

No way it will fit inboard of the HB racks, and I doubt the .8 would either.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #6045
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
links?

I posted some input a while back concerning cheap tires. Cant find it now.

They may work just fine for you and be cost effective if you stay primarily on dirt. I use my XCo as a dual-sport and I had problems with cheap tires.

A while back, I was planning on a dirt and curvy paved road ride in the mountains of NC. I fit a pair of Kenda moderately-aggressive tires to the XCo. I scratched-around with them a little around home before leaving and they seemed fine.

I had about 7 hours of interstate running to get to the mountains that I wanted. The day of the trip, I set my cruise at interstate speeds and headed north.

When I stopped for lunch in Montgomery AL, I noticed that about 5 of the lugs had sheared-off the rear tire. I slowed down a little and worried about it. When I got to NC, a few more tread lugs had broken off the rear.

I spent most of my weekend time on dirt and had no additional problems. I did run a few twisty paved sections and didnt like the grip of the tires. I lost another lug or two on the BR Parkway.

By the time I returned home, I had sheared 2 or 3 more but never lost any air. I removed the tire and my tire supplier insisted on giving me a credit on a premium tire.

I went back to a Michelin Anakee. It works fine for me and never causes problems.

If I had to have a knobby, I think Id try the TKC. No more cheap tires for me.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote