ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #6091
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,622
That's right, the TT is the Uni, i forgot. I seem to remember if you dont buy it from TT it is cheaper.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #6092
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
Anyone ever try running stock K&N air filter with a layer of oiled foam as a pre-filter? In the same vain as this Tbarstow post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4027

Was thinking about cutting a sheet of that uni filter foam to make a little pre filter with a little no toil... mostly in protest at touratechs prices! 60 bones for a foam filter? out of control... anyway.. may give it a shot..seems like it would work anyway..in theory..

Anyone have an issues with that? or rather could you see any issues with that?

thanks!
You do know that BMW stands for Bring More Wallet?

The price isn't that bad, considering that there is only one aftermarket filter available.
__________________
G650X side panel tank build
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #6093
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
Anyone ever try running stock K&N air filter with a layer of oiled foam as a pre-filter? In the same vain as this Tbarstow post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4027

Was thinking about cutting a sheet of that uni filter foam to make a little pre filter with a little no toil... mostly in protest at touratechs prices! 60 bones for a foam filter? out of control... anyway.. may give it a shot..seems like it would work anyway..in theory..

Anyone have an issues with that? or rather could you see any issues with that?

thanks!
I run the UNI air filter mainly because most people agree the paper ones won't trap fine dirt/dust. I think it is a MUST for that reason alone. It also has the advantage (as you already know) of using water based NoToil which would enable easy cleaning it with NoToil in the sink of a motel with water and a little Oxyclean, for long trips. I have never done this but its a plus.

I personally left the top black plastic plate (aka snorkel) onto the airbox, YMMV. But under that, right above the air filter I cut a piece of prefilter from the green sheets that UNI sells. And oiled it with NoToil. I just used one layer, it looks like Tim used more perhaps, but I put the snorkel back on and I don't think he did.

I ran mine for about 1000 miles with only maybe 200 miles offroad, minor dust, not following people, more like solo stuff. I went to clean the filter last week getting ready for Baja, and the prefilter needed serious cleaning (that is a good thing - it is thin and is still breathing fine but trapped a lot of crap). When I looked at the main Uni filter it was basically clean - just some pine needles and pine cone chips in there.. So I didn't clean it, just dumped out the loose stuff.

I think the prefilter works great! Just don't get any other type of cheap foam from a store, you must get real motorcycle air filter foam so it actually allows proper airflow. DAMHIK.

Another tip, if you have the ABS brake line junction (like on my 07) near the front right screw to take the faux gas tank cover off... well it is practically impossible to reach in there and get that fricking screw out. I ended up buying a Pittsburgh 67888 Metric Long Ball Head Hex Socket Set at Harbor Freight. It works better than a socket extension because the tip is narrow and doesn't have a bigger socket on the end, plus it has a ball end. I just keep the one right size in my toolkit.

Or do what muddy does and just leave the bolt out, probably the best idea!

Here is the UNI air filter, wasn't that dirty thanks to the prefilter:


Here is the prefilter after I cleaned it:
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #6094
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
...
I did just find that msr chain guide that works with a little modding on ebay for 35.00 .. hopefully I cant get that to fit!
You probably can but I tried and didn't like the result. On the other hand, for me the TT one was worth the money. It even fits on my 49 rear sprocket which is not only bigger but pull everything to the front that much more. Tim had trouble with this but I haven't it works great.

The chain guide I also feel is VERY important to have and this was another one of those frickin things I could NOT find a solution for that I liked. I decided to not cheap out and jut bought the TT one (even though it is just a bracket with a KTM guide on it probably.

I looked up a bunch of other ones like Moose that I thought would fit, and captured all the links to other peoples trials.. You can find on my web site on my links page... LINKY ...then just search for "chain guide".

Have you got a bendy steel shift lever yet??? That is Mandatory for off road. Here is my page for that: LINKY
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #6095
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,404
When Worlds Collide

Yep, it's happening, 2 XCountry's will be riding together searching for parallel universe energy vortexes to get sucked into... in the desert of Baja, starting around Feb. 11.
Against my better judgement (given Muddyrabbit's proven track record in past Baja expeditions ) I will be following his track while we tempt ol' man Murphy and the aluminum metallurgy apprentices at BMW... who knows what fates await us with TWO of our beloved XCo's at one spot in the universe!

Check my Spot and Spotwalla links in my signature, along with the Ride Report link in it as well. But I'll list it here also:

Muddy's Baja 2012 RR thread


p.s. south of the border my name will be Matteo (as always), so I've anointed muddyrabbit as..... Conejo Fangoso !!!

Vamanos Amigos!
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #6096
seamarsh
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: North of Arizona Bay
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
You probably can but I tried and didn't like the result. On the other hand, for me the TT one was worth the money. It even fits on my 49 rear sprocket which is not only bigger but pull everything to the front that much more. Tim had trouble with this but I haven't it works great.

The chain guide I also feel is VERY important to have and this was another one of those frickin things I could NOT find a solution for that I liked. I decided to not cheap out and jut bought the TT one (even though it is just a bracket with a KTM guide on it probably.

I looked up a bunch of other ones like Moose that I thought would fit, and captured all the links to other peoples trials.. You can find on my web site on my links page... LINKY ...then just search for "chain guide".

Have you got a bendy steel shift lever yet??? That is Mandatory for off road. Here is my page for that: LINKY

Thanks for the tips.. I've used your link page a reference for awhile now.. great info..

I just made some vertical cuts in the stock shift lever.. should be enough I hope..

The faux gas tank removal is so ridiculous!.. shocking how bad of a design it is.. like 15 bolts? should be tool-less ... I was thinking about maybe replacing some hardware with dzus fasteners down the line..

If you guys are using foam filters you should be cleaning every couple off road rides.. no toil is great but it does tend to migrate so needs to be re-upped more frequently... at least thats my exp with it on dirt bikes.. 3000 miles.. might be pushing it.. I'll give a pre filter a try with the K&N for a bit and check results.. I had the snorkel on until just the other day! though I had removed it.. does seem to run a lot better with it off.. especially with LV exhaust.. more snappy.. I like the results.. I think that running a couple layers of pre-filter might be as restrictive as the snorkel.. who knows..

Have fun in Baja man.. sounds like a blast! camp on a remote beach if you can..worth it!

seamarsh screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 09:03 AM
seamarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #6097
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,622
The Uni filter may seem pricey compared to a paper filter, but it's cheaper than a ring job.

I did a mod to make removing the faux tank much easier. It was cheap and simple to do. Next time you have the cover off to service the air filter, don't put most of the bolts back.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #6098
seamarsh
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: North of Arizona Bay
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
The Uni filter may seem pricey compared to a paper filter, but it's cheaper than a ring job.

I did a mod to make removing the faux tank much easier. It was cheap and simple to do. Next time you have the cover off to service the air filter, don't put most of the bolts back.
I like it.. that can go with your tail tidy mod.. ..which I followed BTW.. tail tidy??? its called a dremel!

No offense to tbarstow but he has the touratech and the picture of his airbox looks horrendous! but yeah.. I agree.. but I'm talking about putting a prefilter over the K&N.. seems like that would work to me catch the fine particulates as it were.... who knows.. maybe I'll use an old gym sock and a coat hanger to save some cash
seamarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #6099
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,513
Ive been running a Uni for some time now. Works great and Im not using a pre-filter. Most of my dirt riding is in appalachian areas were foliage is heavy and the dry conditions out west do not exist. Not as much dust.

Yes, the price for this hunk of foam is ridiculous. It's like other things though, you are paying for the availability, marketing and distribution more than anything else.

By the way, I also run the Uni filter in my 1200S and my 1200GS.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #6100
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,513
I just had John at Moto Pro replace my stock spring on my stock 09 XCo shock. Stock spring was an 11 kg and I went to a 13.

I did a lot of research on this before choosing this route.

First off, as I said before, I use the XCo as a dual-sport. I am not trying to make a dirt bike out of it.

I ride long distances with it. I ride curvy sport roads with it. I ride dirt trails with it. I ride dirt roads with it. I like the capability to do a wide range of things reasonably well. Basically, I look at the XCo and a much lighter alternative to my 1200GS.

The stock shock is physically designed to fit this bike. The adjusters are in the right place. Nothing touches the exhaust etc. Nothing is too cramped to access.

The newer, 09-after, shorter shock is adjustable to give me plenty of ride height and I am 6-2. At the highest position where I run it, I cannot actually flatfoot the bike.

The biggest problem that I noticed with the stock unit is that it is too soft and my sag numbers were too great, especially when I have the little bike fully loaded. By the way, sag numbers on the front fork are in specs.

The dampening action on the front and rear are okay for me. It could be better but it is not a big problem for my riding. I've jumped the bike a few times and covered some pretty rocky terrain but I've never bottomed out enough to damage the rubber bumper (I'm 200-ish).

More than one suspension shop advised me to just re-spring and maybe re-valve the stock unit since nobody made an aftermarket shock that fits as well. I really appreciate such advice when they could just as easily have tried to push me to some sort of Ohlins, HyperPro etc and try to make it work.

I like John at Moto Pro and I like Rick Tannenbaum over at Cogent and I sent the shock to John.

I'm going to try the new spring. It is not an expensive modification $100-200. I may later send the shock back to him and have the revalve and rebuild service done by him. He charges about $400 for that. Sounds a little steep to me and I want to try the new spring before jumping that far out on the limb.

We will see how it works.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #6101
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,513
This little XCo is a wonderful little machine. Mine has been down for about 3 weeks now awaiting the rear shock and I have really missed it !
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #6102
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way
 
Geoffster's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: My Blue Heaven
Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
First off, as I said before, I use the XCo as a dual-sport. I am not trying to make a dirt bike out of it.

I ride long distances with it. I ride curvy sport roads with it. I ride dirt trails with it. I ride dirt roads with it. I like the capability to do a wide range of things reasonably well. Basically, I look at the XCo and a much lighter alternative to my 1200GS.
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
More than one suspension shop advised me to just re-spring and maybe re-valve the stock unit since nobody made an aftermarket shock that fits as well. I really appreciate such advice when they could just as easily have tried to push me to some sort of Ohlins, HyperPro etc and try to make it work.
I'm sorry that none of your suspension shops considered the basic Wilbers 640. It fits my X Country perfectly with no clearance problems of any sort. Perhaps they couldn't sell you a Wilbers?

Leafman, I'm not running down your choice to modify your Sachs shock, but with a Wilbers, I'm pretty much guaranteed that as it ages, I can quickly remove it, ship it to Ted Porter, and have it rebuilt to brand-new condition. I like that!
__________________

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #6103
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,622
I was about to give my stock shock another try, and have John at MotoPro re-spring it, but after our fellow X-Co owner had his shock that HAD been re-sprung by John still fail in Central America I decided against it. In no way do I think it is John's fault, I just don't think that shock design is up to the task of extended dual sport or adventure touring use.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #6104
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
Ditto!



I'm sorry that none of your suspension shops considered the basic Wilbers 640. It fits my X Country perfectly with no clearance problems of any sort. Perhaps they couldn't sell you a Wilbers?

Leafman, I'm not running down your choice to modify your Sachs shock, but with a Wilbers, I'm pretty much guaranteed that as it ages, I can quickly remove it, ship it to Ted Porter, and have it rebuilt to brand-new condition. I like that!
John says he can do the same thing with the stock shock. He can also make it perform (dampening etc) like any other wilbers or ohlins.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #6105
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I was about to give my stock shock another try, and have John at MotoPro re-spring it, but after our fellow X-Co owner had his shock that HAD been re-sprung by John still fail in Central America I decided against it. In no way do I think it is John's fault, I just don't think that shock design is up to the task of extended dual sport or adventure touring use.

I talked just yesterday with John at Moto Pro about that case. He says another shop had worked on it and he felt like they didnt get it all together properly. I dunno.

Rick T. at Cogent is another first-class shop with ALL kinds of sophisticated equipment. He also told me that, by modifying the internals, he could make the Sachs work as good as an Ohlins for a fraction of the cost. I think both shops can get Ohlins or Wilbers.

Im gonna try it with a new spring for a while. Again, I am not doing motocross jumps with it !
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014