User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #6631
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
On the alternator issue.

Last week, I attended the Chicken Rally in Huntsville AL and had a chance to talk with my friend, Rick Jones, who operates Motorrad Elektrik (ME). ME is a great source for electrical items intended for BMWs, especially airhead models.

I asked him about the Rotax motor and the issue of the small alternator in my XCo. He seemed familiar with the issue but said he has been unable to find any supplier who makes anything to boost the output of the 280 watt alternator.

On the idea of replacing the 280 with a 400 alternator as used on other 650 single models, Rick cautioned that doing so may require replacement of the case around the alternator as he suspects the 400 watt unit is physically larger than the 280 and the case housing the 280 may not have sufficient clearance foir the 400 watt unit.

The part numbers seem to be different but I am not sure if that is due to design or color.

leafman60 screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 05:03 AM
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #6632
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,660
I have been able to get 200 miles out of my Acerbis Aux tank set up as well.

Anyone have a stock seat to part with?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #6633
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
my brother might have one back in England. Might be a bit too much trouble.PM me your email if you're interested, I will pass it along to my brother if he still has it.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #6634
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

UPDATE on $156 Touratech gas cap -

Well, this damn thing leaks too ! After a little more than a month installed, the TT cap is leaking about like the stock one did. I removed it yesterday and replaced the rubber sealing gasket with some nitrile that is thicker.

Hope this works. Will report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
The Touratech gas cap seems to be sealing and working fine.

For newbies to this issue, my switch was for functional reasons rather than aesthetics. Sooner or later, the stock plastic gas cap will develop leaks. You can mitigate this by replacing the internal o-ring and making a new sealing gasket ( see earlier posts).

This inevitable leakage may not be a problem for many riders. However, if you are using an auxiliary gas tank, it is a huge issue. As the auxiliary tank fills the stock tank above the gas cap level, if the cap leaks, it will trickle down the side of the tank. A leaking main tank cap can also break the vacuum that may be needed to prime the flow from the auxiliary tank.

Anyway, at $156, the TT is pricey. I have fixed my stock cap as described but, since this motorcycle is discontinued, I decided to spring for a TT cap while they are still available.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #6635
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Now I am feeling a flat spot in the steering head bearings. Looks like I'm gonna have to remove the forks and replace the bearings ! It's under warranty but I'd prefer to do the work myself. While I'm in there, I am going to install a grease fitting to lube the head bearings in the future.

I bet the rear swingarm needs attention too.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #6636
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
I bet the rear swingarm needs attention too.
Quit causing guilt.

Nearly 14,000 miles and I haven't looked at mine. I suspect they suck.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #6637
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Yes, I recommended doing this when you add an aux tank. This little valve can cause problems. All the parts snap out. Don't over-tighten the screws when you re-install the plastic flange to the tank.
I was wondering about the torque of those screws. When I took it off they seemed way too loose, I tightened them a little tighter because now the seal is much more important. Maybe I'll loosen them a bit.

Going out for a long ride today to more fully test the system.
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #6638
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,353
Quote:
UPDATE on $156 Touratech gas cap -

Well, this damn thing leaks too ! After a little more than a month installed, the TT cap is leaking about like the stock one did. I removed it yesterday and replaced the rubber sealing gasket with some nitrile that is thicker.

Hope this works. Will report back.
Any chance that the problem is not the cap but in fact the metal fitting on the tank? Could it possibly be a half millimeter bent in some way? Because though some people have this leakage problem, most don't.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #6639
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
From the 1,549 mile, 5-day ride I completed today:

Observations about fuel mileage and other thoughts will follow.

BUT, I had a seriously good time on a seriously wonderful motorbike!

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #6640
GSALite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Great looking ride!

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
GSALite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #6641
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
So the more I read, the more I like this bike. I've been recruited to help someone buy her first bike and after a lot of reading, I suggested the XCountry. Now that she's fallen in love with it I can't find one anywhere in the northeast or even remotely close.

Any suggestions?

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #6642
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Any chance that the problem is not the cap but in fact the metal fitting on the tank? Could it possibly be a half millimeter bent in some way? Because though some people have this leakage problem, most don't.

Nah. The tank flange is fine and the TT cap worked for a while. Remember too that I have an auxiliary tank that feeds the stock so there is some positive pressure on the gas cap from the inside since the stock tank becomes fully charged by the auxiliary.

Im hoping the thicker nitrile gasket will fix the problem. The TT cap is better constructed out of machined aluminum as opposed to the all-plastic stock cap. On top of that, the stock lock cylinder starts getting funky after a lot of use. The TT eliminates the lock cylinder.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #6643
GSALite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Yeah they can be hard to find. There was one on eBay a few weeks ago but nothing now. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad View Post
So the more I read, the more I like this bike. I've been recruited to help someone buy her first bike and after a lot of reading, I suggested the XCountry. Now that she's fallen in love with it I can't find one anywhere in the northeast or even remotely close.

Any suggestions?

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
GSALite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #6644
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSALite View Post
Yeah they can be hard to find. There was one on eBay a few weeks ago but nothing now. Good luck!
If it were for me, I'd love to do a fly and ride. But I think as a first time buyer she is going to be put off by buying a bike more than 4 hours away and choose a different bike if she can't find one locally. That would be a shame since the more I read, the more I think this is the right bike for her.

The target is a 4 hour radius from Boston/Providence.

Thanks for the help so far.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #6645
Pescador
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Added a engine radiator guard. I got the last one from Wunderlich. They are discontinued. Lucky me
Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote