ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #7081
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
donnh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Near Seattle
Oddometer: 263
Windscreen Update

The CB windscreen finally showed up yesterday and when I opened the box the screen had two big cracks, one near the left mounting bolt and another near the right mounting bolt . In addition, I didn't realize it bolts to the handlebar mount (duh) which is a problem because my the steering stabilizer addition uses a different size mount that doesn't fit the CB screen. So.... off to plan B. Maybe the Sportech? Snooker - how sturdy is it during a standard #1 bike nap?


Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
mmm... Taos....

Wow donnh! what a killer ride - did you finish the whole thing? I really like my Sportech windshield - it is $250 online (and polycarbonate) whereas the Cee Bailey at their site starts at $279 so I don't see as it is more expensive than any other of the nice ones. There are a lot of cheap alternatives too but I personally would not buy a cheap acrylic, though CB says their acrylic is a special aircraft grade so dunno exactly how that rates for impact...

I may still be the only X rider that has a Sportech...

http://mattsnook.com/bmw/bmwXCountry...ield/index.htm
__________________
ADVenture On Two Wheels
KTM 1190R, F800GS, WR250R ,ZERO Electric Bike (dead), 73 Norton Commando, 1969 Yamaha Trailmaster. Wife rides (dirtbikegirlrider): G650GS, G650XC(sold), DR200
2010 Sasquatch Ride 2011 Utah Ride 2012 Baja Ride Report 2012 Rocky Mt Ride 2012 Sasquatch Pictures 2013 Seattle to Buenos Aries BLOG Follow Me
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #7082
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
donnh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Near Seattle
Oddometer: 263
New XC problem - suggestions?


Ok, I know we are all in the middle of trying to solve Muddy's bolt problem, so I'm hoping we can maybe work on two problems at once. Good luck Muddy, I'm watching closely to see if I can learn something.....

The problem is this when starting: 1) Turn key on 2) Wait for diagnostics to complete 3) Turn on run switch 4) Hit start button 5) Engine starts 6) Within about 5 seconds all the dash lights, headlight and everything goes black and the engine dies 7) Turn off ignition key and all the dash lights come on for one or two seconds and then turn off.

Repeat steps 1-5 and everything runs fine. It doesn't do this every time but every couple of starts - strange.

The only thing I came across was some posts about the HID lights ballast interfering with the startup diagnostics, I don't have HID lights. I had the headlight assembly apart the other day and checked all the connectors, wiring and verified the ignition switch was ok (seemed ok). I looked at the computer connections and can't see anything obvious. I think I might need to go to the dealer and see if there are any error codes. Anyone ever seen this problem???


__________________
ADVenture On Two Wheels
KTM 1190R, F800GS, WR250R ,ZERO Electric Bike (dead), 73 Norton Commando, 1969 Yamaha Trailmaster. Wife rides (dirtbikegirlrider): G650GS, G650XC(sold), DR200
2010 Sasquatch Ride 2011 Utah Ride 2012 Baja Ride Report 2012 Rocky Mt Ride 2012 Sasquatch Pictures 2013 Seattle to Buenos Aries BLOG Follow Me
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #7083
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mikecbrxx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: English expat in The Hague
Oddometer: 192
The symptoms of all lights coming on is the same as when connecting the battery briefly and then disconnecting. The lights still go through a 'cycle' even with the battery not connected. Perhaps the engine vibration breaks the battery connection or dash connection?

Good luck!
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #7084
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way
 
Geoffster's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: My Blue Heaven
Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
The problem is this when starting: 1) Turn key on 2) Wait for diagnostics to complete 3) Turn on run switch 4) Hit start button 5) Engine starts 6) Within about 5 seconds all the dash lights, headlight and everything goes black and the engine dies 7) Turn off ignition key and all the dash lights come on for one or two seconds and then turn off.

Repeat steps 1-5 and everything runs fine. It doesn't do this every time but every couple of starts - strange.

The only thing I came across was some posts about the HID lights ballast interfering with the startup diagnostics, I don't have HID lights. I had the headlight assembly apart the other day and checked all the connectors, wiring and verified the ignition switch was ok (seemed ok). I looked at the computer connections and can't see anything obvious. I think I might need to go to the dealer and see if there are any error codes. Anyone ever seen this problem???
Could be your ignition switch. Not the highest quality. Mine will occasionally do roughly the same thing and jiggling the key and switching the key-switch off-and-on several times seems to "fix" it.

TBarstow probably has the most experience with ignition switch oddities. Might try PMing him or he might see your post here.

I don't know whether I've posted this thought here already, but I speculate my love affair with my X-Country will end after a series of unsolvable electrical problems.
__________________

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #7085
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
donnh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Near Seattle
Oddometer: 263
I just checked this, you are right. I never noticed that with the key off when reconnecting the battery the lights cycle through. Thanks for the hint..... I just ran out and pulled the battery and cleaned and tightened the connections. They didn't really look to bad and weren't obviously loose but I'll report back after my next ride.

I'm planning on putting in a new battery before we leave for South America in January, maybe I'll do this sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecbrxx View Post
The symptoms of all lights coming on is the same as when connecting the battery briefly and then disconnecting. The lights still go through a 'cycle' even with the battery not connected. Perhaps the engine vibration breaks the battery connection or dash connection?

Good luck!
__________________
ADVenture On Two Wheels
KTM 1190R, F800GS, WR250R ,ZERO Electric Bike (dead), 73 Norton Commando, 1969 Yamaha Trailmaster. Wife rides (dirtbikegirlrider): G650GS, G650XC(sold), DR200
2010 Sasquatch Ride 2011 Utah Ride 2012 Baja Ride Report 2012 Rocky Mt Ride 2012 Sasquatch Pictures 2013 Seattle to Buenos Aries BLOG Follow Me
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #7086
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
donnh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Near Seattle
Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
Could be your ignition switch. Not the highest quality. Mine will occasionally do roughly the same thing and jiggling the key and switching the key-switch off-and-on several times seems to "fix" it.

TBarstow probably has the most experience with ignition switch oddities. Might try PMing him or he might see your post here.

I don't know whether I've posted this thought here already, but I speculate my love affair with my X-Country will end after a series of unsolvable electrical problems.
Hmmm, I agree, the switch is suspect, however it seems like an intermittent switch might cut out while riding and bumping around. This only happens when starting. I have an appointment at the BMW shop next week to check the error codes. I talked to the service manager and he never heard of this problem - not that he ever sees many Xcountrys
__________________
ADVenture On Two Wheels
KTM 1190R, F800GS, WR250R ,ZERO Electric Bike (dead), 73 Norton Commando, 1969 Yamaha Trailmaster. Wife rides (dirtbikegirlrider): G650GS, G650XC(sold), DR200
2010 Sasquatch Ride 2011 Utah Ride 2012 Baja Ride Report 2012 Rocky Mt Ride 2012 Sasquatch Pictures 2013 Seattle to Buenos Aries BLOG Follow Me
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #7087
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,610
Swing arm is finally out and at the machine shop. Air shock leak was from the mud flap rubbing and wearing a hole in the rubber. This is a known issue, and I had modified the mud flap by spacing it out with washers, but obviously not enough.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #7088
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way
 
Geoffster's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: My Blue Heaven
Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
Hmmm, I agree, the switch is suspect, however it seems like an intermittent switch might cut out while riding and bumping around. This only happens when starting.
My has never acted erratically while riding, thank The Maker! Just in the driveway.
__________________

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #7089
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
... but I speculate my love affair with my X-Country will end after a series of unsolvable electrical problems.
bite your tongue you heathen. they are probably not unsolvable, yet frustrating.

Donnh I can't say how tough the Sportech is for dirt naps, so far I've been lucky to have never laid my bike down. Ok I did have a tipover in Baja when turning around in soft sand loaded with gear but I was stopped... I try to ride within my limits. But it has had a lot of jarring and no issues - it is very thick polycarbonate. If you are considering it then look closely at how it mounts on my mods page.



When I got it I thought I would use the awesome quick release for when I camp and want to take it off for tough trails, but now I mainly leave it on, and take it off when I'm riding from home on hot days and want to feel the breeze...
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #7090
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Swing arm is finally out and at the machine shop. ...
You're saying you gave him the swingarm with the shock right still bolted to it? I still don't understand if the nut was actually frozen on the bolt or not... give us details Conejo Fangoso!

and we want pics of him with that torch!
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #7091
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
You're saying you gave him the swingarm with the shock right still bolted to it? I still don't understand if the nut was actually frozen on the bolt or not... give us details Conejo Fangoso!

and we want pics of him with that torch!
Well Snooki, I know it's hard for you reality TV types to pay attention, so once again, no the nut is not stuck. The nust spins off fine. The bolt itself is seized in the hole.

I think the root of the problem is the recessed hole in the swing arm for that bolt is on the right side of the bike, and when the bike is leaned over on the side stand any moisture in there just sits in there. The result is the bolt itself is froven in the swing arm.

Butch, the old biker with the machine shop a few houses down, is going to bore the bolt out. I told him i'm not worried about trying to save the shock, so he may attack the problem by cutting out the lower shock eye first.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #7092
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!
 
jjmead1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
Hmmm, I agree, the switch is suspect, however it seems like an intermittent switch might cut out while riding and bumping around. This only happens when starting. I have an appointment at the BMW shop next week to check the error codes. I talked to the service manager and he never heard of this problem - not that he ever sees many Xcountrys
Before you go on your trip have the ignition switch resolderd (spelling?). There are many known instances where this is a major issue ( my Challenge most recently. ) Replacing the switch is a poor choice as eventually it will fail again. I had my service tech look at it and the answer I got was it was better to solder it, as it would be more secure than replacing it.

Not my bike but this should shed light on this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=454

Imagine riding to 12,000 feet, turning off your bike to enjoy the views, and the damn thing won't start.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #7093
uxc
adventure nerd
 
uxc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 1,340
Somebody has a 2008 X Country for sale in NJ/PA: http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/3241291608.html

$5200
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #7094
Starboard
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
bite your tongue you heathen. they are probably not unsolvable, yet frustrating.

Donnh I can't say how tough the Sportech is for dirt naps, so far I've been lucky to have never laid my bike down. Ok I did have a tipover in Baja when turning around in soft sand loaded with gear but I was stopped... I try to ride within my limits. But it has had a lot of jarring and no issues - it is very thick polycarbonate. If you are considering it then look closely at how it mounts on my mods page.



When I got it I thought I would use the awesome quick release for when I camp and want to take it off for tough trails, but now I mainly leave it on, and take it off when I'm riding from home on hot days and want to feel the breeze...
So of all the windshield fairings I've seen so far, I like yours the best, Snooker. I had some nasty ocean headwinds and crosswinds yesterday- about 15-20 knots- I felt like i was dancing on the concrete 405 freeway.

The only question I have is about the quick release- how does the mechanism work? Is it held captive by a screw or just friction? I like clean, easy quick releases. I like the H-B racks, but I wish I had the same pop off saddlebag arrangement I had on an old cruiser- it took 2 seconds and all that remained was two chrome studs.

If you get a chance I 'd like to see a photo of how it works. That'll probably be my next mod.
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #7095
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
donnh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Near Seattle
Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
bite your tongue you heathen. they are probably not unsolvable, yet frustrating.

Donnh I can't say how tough the Sportech is for dirt naps, so far I've been lucky to have never laid my bike down. Ok I did have a tipover in Baja when turning around in soft sand loaded with gear but I was stopped... I try to ride within my limits. But it has had a lot of jarring and no issues - it is very thick polycarbonate. If you are considering it then look closely at how it mounts on my mods page.



When I got it I thought I would use the awesome quick release for when I camp and want to take it off for tough trails, but now I mainly leave it on, and take it off when I'm riding from home on hot days and want to feel the breeze...
I just found out the Wunderlich screen is out of stock so that eliminates that option. Snooker, your solution keeps looking better and better except for one problem... check out the spacing with the steering stabilizer, I'm not sure the brackets would fit.
__________________
ADVenture On Two Wheels
KTM 1190R, F800GS, WR250R ,ZERO Electric Bike (dead), 73 Norton Commando, 1969 Yamaha Trailmaster. Wife rides (dirtbikegirlrider): G650GS, G650XC(sold), DR200
2010 Sasquatch Ride 2011 Utah Ride 2012 Baja Ride Report 2012 Rocky Mt Ride 2012 Sasquatch Pictures 2013 Seattle to Buenos Aries BLOG Follow Me
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014