Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #61
dave1068
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Thanks for the update. Once the weather gets warmer, Im out to test drive one. Quick Question: i had read on the net that the engine is made in china but in strict compliance w/ BMW standards. What do you know about that. i also read where parts of the frame are prone to rusting. Anyone else hear this. I think it was on a part of an f650 board.

Dave-
dave1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #62
Olas OP
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1068
Thanks for the update. Once the weather gets warmer, Im out to test drive one. Quick Question: i had read on the net that the engine is made in china but in strict compliance w/ BMW standards. What do you know about that. i also read where parts of the frame are prone to rusting. Anyone else hear this. I think it was on a part of an f650 board.

Dave-
The new one's will be, I suppose, from what i've read. The 07s were still made by aprilla. No visible rust on mine yet after 6000 miles
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #63
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Asaracho- nice group ride you did in the Rockies. Did you do any single track with the XC? I noticed you rode with a guy on a Challenge; did you ever switch rides for a bit or wish you were on that bike?

I have been mulling the 2 over as I look for a lighter dualsport than my old airhead - and both of these are on my short list.
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #64
Olas OP
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
Asaracho- nice group ride you did in the Rockies. Did you do any single track with the XC? I noticed you rode with a guy on a Challenge; did you ever switch rides for a bit or wish you were on that bike?

I have been mulling the 2 over as I look for a lighter dualsport than my old airhead - and both of these are on my short list.
We never switched bikes but he was definitely a lot faster than me. There were a few points in that trip where I wondered If I was taking the bike where I shouldn't be taking it, where I could get in trouble. The stock plastic skidplate on the country is no good for offroading, I used it on that trip but it had me worrying a few times. Watch the rims too, I took my rear wheel to woody's after that trip because it had a slight hop in it. They fixed it no problem though.

I took my time on that trip, rode at my own pace and didn't get into any trouble. Rode through water crossings, up and down steep rocky hills. I wasn't nearly as fast as the KTM or the Challenge but the bike handled. The bike was pretty much brand new when I went on that trip and I was worried about dropping it, which is stupid. If you're worried about dropping your brand new bmw then don't take it over passes like that. I'm over that now, dropped it more than a few times actually (only once on that trip, and it was a mild one). Good solid handguards are crucial.

Honestly, if you're going to be doing serious offroading with some highway stints in between get the xchallenge. No question about it there. The x country can do it, but a little more work is involved. I've taken this bike where I wasn't "supposed" to many times though. No problems yet. Only smiles
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #65
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Cool!
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #66
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,343
I see that the Xcountry is the only X listed for 08 and it's price has dropped to $7500, They only show the 07 on the other two???

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:13 AM   #67
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
I see that the Xcountry is the only X listed for 08 and it's price has dropped to $7500, They only show the 07 on the other two???
Yep, that's the plan I believe.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #68
riaan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Howzit from sunny South Africa!

Been lurking around here for the last month, reading up about the G650 XChallenge, but eventually deciding on the XCountry.

Main reason being the better seating comfort, especially for the wife!

So I placed my order for a brand new XCountry at Bavarian MC in Pretoria, and hope to get it this weekend!

Also had a custom XChallenge type bashplate fitted, some hand guards and Conti TKX 80's. Ready to take on the dirt!

Would like to know some of your experiences in the dirt with this bike, and how it would stack up against a Yamaha XT660R (which I'm getting rid of now).

Cheers
riaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #69
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1068
BMWX-C

Thats why i was looking at them. I'm 6'2 and most bikes I've had, have about a 30'' seat heat and after 45-60 min, my legs get cramped.

I looked at and am considering the X-Country. Looks sharp and has good components. Im just curious if being 6'2/210 on a single cylinder is too small and if cruising at 70-80mph is a strain on the 650.

I'd probably do about 98% street and the occasianal trail or dirt road. Its probably gonna be this or the triumph scrambler.
I'm the same size as you and have no problems with the power.

Here's a pic of mine. My only complaint is the size of the tank.

MoxNix screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 02:54 PM
MoxNix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #70
deli-g650
bring'n the funk

Oddometer: 195
windshield

what windshield is that you have on there?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #71
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by deli-g650
what windshield is that you have on there?
BMW. Same part number as the R1200R Sport windscreen, different bracket though. It works very well.
MoxNix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 AM   #72
P3R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Thumb Possible, I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
Does anyone know if the new Touratech 4.2 gallon tank for the XChallenge and it's seat will mount to this bike?
My well informed guess would be that it is pretty straight forward.

The coooling expansion tank is different on the two models but I'm not sure if that makes it necessary to change it doing this conversion.
Quote:
Are the seat brackets and frame points the same? Is there clearance for the components below? Is the airbox the same?
AFAIK, yes on all three. The cover over the oil tank is shorter on Xcountry so there will be a gap up to the seat. You may need to change a few parts in the back. The rear white plastic around the end of the seat from a Xchallenge is probabably the way to go, for looks anyway.

The smartest thing to do is probably to team up with someone that want a Xcountry-seat (and with that your airbox plastic) on a Xchallenge. I guess there must be people thinking about that. I'm one.

P3R screwed with this post 02-07-2008 at 03:24 AM
P3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:56 AM   #73
xcountry rider
What happened?

Oddometer: 116
Love mine after 13,000 miles

i have ridden mine all over california, have not been out of the state yet. might head off to colorado this spring or summer. I have done touring, around town, fire roads, easy trails, scarry trails and the like. it loves tight twisty goat roads and fire roads.

i need to put better tires on and get a heavier spring for the rear for the scarry trails. fork is great. dealer wanted to sell me a whole new shock for 800 bucks, looking for a spring instead. has anyone changed the spring only? just put on a parabellum windshield, looks ugly but works great.

i also put on some hepco becker racks with some gobi bags, i have been looking for luggage since last april. i built my own top rack before that, but overloaded it and stripped out the screws, so i through bolted the back screws and heli-coiled the front screws due the the frame configuration. i will get some pictures up when i can. i have the tt skid plate and the g&s racing tail tidy, so much nicer than the stock one.

i put on the remus exhaust and header, a little too loud for my tast. once i put on the spark arrester it quited it down a bit. it does not work withe hb rack. thinking of selling the remus.
xcountry rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #74
deli-g650
bring'n the funk

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcountry rider
i have ridden mine all over california, have not been out of the state yet. might head off to colorado this spring or summer. I have done touring, around town, fire roads, easy trails, scarry trails and the like. it loves tight twisty goat roads and fire roads.

i need to put better tires on and get a heavier spring for the rear for the scarry trails. fork is great. dealer wanted to sell me a whole new shock for 800 bucks, looking for a spring instead. has anyone changed the spring only? just put on a parabellum windshield, looks ugly but works great.

i also put on some hepco becker racks with some gobi bags, i have been looking for luggage since last april. i built my own top rack before that, but overloaded it and stripped out the screws, so i through bolted the back screws and heli-coiled the front screws due the the frame configuration. i will get some pictures up when i can. i have the tt skid plate and the g&s racing tail tidy, so much nicer than the stock one.

i put on the remus exhaust and header, a little too loud for my tast. once i put on the spark arrester it quited it down a bit. it does not work withe hb rack. thinking of selling the remus.
sounds like you have a great set-up... how about some pics
also keep me in mind if you decide to sell the remus
Old 02-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #75
Dominus
WSMC#931

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcountry rider
How much do you plan on selling the remus for?
Dominus is offline   Reply With Quote