Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #7651
avrz10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
Been riding my X-Country for a couple of years now.

The stalling is killing me. Today I was at a stoplight, went to turn right onto a side street and was almost rear-ended by a car behind me as I stalled 3/4 way through the turn.

I've cleaned the fuel injection, replaced the battery, adjusted the clutch cable, etc.

I am at a loss. Please advise.

Tried changing the battery yet? I just changed mine and it honestly runs better, voltage stays up while riding, it was dropping below 12v before changing the battery, afterwards, it does not drop below 13 V.
avrz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #7652
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiss66 View Post
I've got a question here for those who use the Unifilter.
It"s time for me to first clean It and realized that there is different technics to clean and oil It. First using gas or white spirit instead of special air filter spray to remove the old oil. Then everybody agree to clean it in a soaped warm water. But there is different way to oil It. It seems that the best is to use a special air filter oil like the bel ray or silkonene. (not in spray) squeezing It in a platic bag.
My question here is since the Unifilter foam comes glued with a plastic holder part , what type of product is the best to clean the foam (remove oil) avoiding to disolve the glue that attached the foam to the black plastic part.
I also don't find It easy to squeeze the foam since It can't comes apart from the hard plastic. Any advice?
Thanks
I use the new biodegradable stuff like NoToil or now everybody makes it (Twin Air for one). It is SOOOOO awesome to just clean it up with warm water and powdered OxyClean. I also run a sheet of Uni filter foam as a prefilter that i just lay on top of it. It will trap most of the dirt and make it so you don't have to clean the filter itself that often.

I wrote this up once: LINKY

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #7653
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
guys, im pumped!

towards the end of the summer i should be moving again, which means ill be taking the bike out of storage, and can start to flog on it again!!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #7654
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

New Odyssey PC310 battery

Hi guys. Sure this could go in the flea market but... this battery is a bit unique to our XC bike and the Odyssey brand is not available in most motorcycle stores (can't get it from Tucker Rocky or Parts Unlimited) and perhaps not even available in Europe and I'm convinced it is the most dependable one, it is AGM technology and is sealed.

Here's the deal. I have a brand new, never installed Odyssey PC310 battery I need to sell. I ordered it from Amazon over a weekend for $160 since the shops were all closed but installed an EarthX that I could find locally when shops opened on Tuesday and didn't want to wait for Amazon before my trip. It is new stock, date code is Jan 2013 so nothing old about it. Never been hooked up or anything.

It has an MSDS sheet that allows it to be shipped anywhere and is not considered hazardous. PM me.

Here's what happened. I drained my old LiFePO4 battery on Saturday and needed to get my bike ready for a huge offroad camping trip leaving on Thursday. Of course all the shops are closed until Tuesday so I ordered from Amazon, meanwhile we had a huge unexpected snowstorm and I got worried it would not make it in time so I finally found an EarthX LiFePO4 which is a local company and installed it for the trip. The Odyssey came (on time, duh) but I didn't have time or patience to redo everything and left on the trip.

Obligatory bike photo from last weekend - south of Needles District of Canyonlands Nat'l Park in Utah. Behind the Great Basin bag under my brown shirt is 1 gal of gas in a 6L MSR dromedary bag which worked great!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #7655
mortimer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tire Recommendations Please

Howdy ADV'ers

Pics of my favorite motorcycle owned to date:

Question for you more experienced X Country riders: what's a tire combo you like for 50/50 on/off-road, what pressures do you run and any head-shake experienced. Apologies if this information is posted somewhere else, I couldn't find anything definitive...

My bikes got the XChallenge rear shock and the front forks are dropped all the way, this combined with the Michelin T63 in rear and Kenda K784 in the front at every tire pressure combination available has head shake at freeway speeds.
mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #7656
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

My top priority off road for tire pressure is to not get a flat. Traction is secondary to me. From my research (including asking Woody's) since the rear does not have a rimlock, the lowest pressure I'd run is 25 psi and feel pretty safe I would not spin the tire on the rim. I typically run 25 and closer to 30 if I have a full camping setup on the rear. Off course if I only ran in sand I might change my mind, but I'm too lazy to adjust pressure during a ride as I go on and off pavement. I also only use the thickest tubes I can find, the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty. The size is not an exact match.

The front tire is the toughest fit and for me I like the TKC-80 for a 50/50 tire. Wears well and good traction on and off road. But I don't like their rear the tread depth is too shallow. I prefer the Dunlop D606 rear it is really tough and feels stable on corners on pavement too. But I haven't tried others (except the Mefo which is not a 50/50 tire).

Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #7657
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
My top priority off road for tire pressure is to not get a flat. Traction is secondary to me. From my research (including asking Woody's) since the rear does not have a rimlock, the lowest pressure I'd run is 25 psi and feel pretty safe I would not spin the tire on the rim. I typically run 25 and closer to 30 if I have a full camping setup on the rear. Off course if I only ran in sand I might change my mind, but I'm too lazy to adjust pressure during a ride as I go on and off pavement. I also only use the thickest tubes I can find, the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty. The size is not an exact match.

The front tire is the toughest fit and for me I like the TKC-80 for a 50/50 tire. Wears well and good traction on and off road. But I don't like their rear the tread depth is too shallow. I prefer the Dunlop D606 rear it is really tough and feels stable on corners on pavement too. But I haven't tried others (except the Mefo which is not a 50/50 tire).
I concur with everything Snooker says -- esp. the D606 rear -- however, I prefer a Heidenau K60 up front. A K60 on a X-Country will go ~10k miles, and only acts poorly after 9k.

(On the other hand, I'm continually tempted by Mitas E07s and E09s. I'll put E07s on my F700GS before I ride anything but parched fire roads.)

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #7658
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,650
D606 has been what I went back to every other change after trying something else. I also think the D606 front is great, but it doesn't come in 19", only 21". I haven't had the 19" front rim on for 20,000 miles so I only ever ran it with the original tire. (my 21/18 wheels are still up for trade). I will say I recently rode a friends XR650L on tight single track trails, up and down ravines and hills, on loose soil and I was absolutely shocked at how good the 50/50 tire he had on it was working. A Kenda K270 of all things. I really, REALLY, expected it to suck and it just dug in, worked well and surprised the hell out of me. The same tread pattern is available from IRC and comes in a 19/17 size, this might be what goes on the bike when I change the wheels.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #7659
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
D606 has been what I went back to every other change after trying something else. I also think the D606 front is great, but it doesn't come in 19", only 21". I haven't had the 19" front rim on for 20,000 miles so I only ever ran it with the original tire. (my 21/18 wheels are still up for trade). I will say I recently rode a friends XR650L on tight single track trails, up and down ravines and hills, on loose soil and I was absolutely shocked at how good the 50/50 tire he had on it was working. A Kenda K270 of all things. I really, REALLY, expected it to suck and it just dug in, worked well and surprised the hell out of me. The same tread pattern is available from IRC and comes in a 19/17 size, this might be what goes on the bike when I change the wheels.
I tried the IRC GP1 and like it a lot. Neither it nor the Kenda 270 comes in 19".

Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #7660
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Yes they do.
http://www.irc-tire.com/mce/
Old 05-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #7661
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I stand corrected. They don't show up on many retailers websites, so I thought that was that.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #7662
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

They are listed incorrectly in my catalogs as well. How many you want?
Old 05-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #7663
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
I concur with everything Snooker says -- esp. the D606 rear -- however, I prefer a Heidenau K60 up front. A K60 on a X-Country will go ~10k miles, and only acts poorly after 9k.

(On the other hand, I'm continually tempted by Mitas E07s and E09s. I'll put E07s on my F700GS before I ride anything but parched fire roads.)
I've tried TKC's but now settle for the Heidenau's. Tried the Mitas E07 rear while I was on tour last years but its didn't last the distance so back to the K60's front and back from now on.

Regs

Simon
The Spanish Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #7664
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanish Biker View Post
I've tried TKC's but now settle for the Heidenau's. Tried the Mitas E07 rear while I was on tour last years but its didn't last the distance so back to the K60's front and back from now on.

Regs

Simon
Simon,

Did the E07 feel any different than a K60?

I found both 130/ and 140/ Heidenaus to be very stiff, and felt they offered little in the way of feedback when I was trying to ride hard in canyons.

Oddly, I could ride a D606 or T63 much harder on pavement.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #7665
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

I was leading a group ride we do every year called "The Taco Run" with a mixed group of bikes that happened to include 2 600cc sport bikes, a DRZ 400 Motard, a few big cruisers, a couple F800 GS BMWs. It's a route of all the twisty roads along rivers in NE Ohio strung together. I had half worn D606 tires front and rear and Mala Bunny on the back of the X-Country. The next day I talked to the father, son, and friend with the 2 sport bikes and supermoto. They said they were having a hard time keeping up and couldn't understand how a 650 single with knobbies and a passenger could carve twisties like that.

D606, good all around tire.