Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #7666
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I was leading a group ride we do every year called "The Taco Run" with a mixed group of bikes that happened to include 2 600cc sport bikes, a DRZ 400 Motard, a few big cruisers, a couple F800 GS BMWs. It's a route of all the twisty roads along rivers in NE Ohio strung together. I had half worn D606 tires front and rear and Mala Bunny on the back of the X-Country. The next day I talked to the father, son, and friend with the 2 sport bikes and supermoto. They said they were having a hard time keeping up and couldn't understand how a 650 single with knobbies and a passenger could carve twisties like that.

D606, good all around tire.
and you told them its the rider, not the bike. amirite?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #7667
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,674
I thought they were kidding, then I thought they were nuts. Clearly it was the bike though.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #7668
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
Simon,

Did the E07 feel any different than a K60?

I found both 130/ and 140/ Heidenaus to be very stiff, and felt they offered little in the way of feedback when I was trying to ride hard in canyons.

Oddly, I could ride a D606 or T63 much harder on pavement.
Hi Geoff,

It's a little hard to say as I don't ride 'hard' off road. But I think the Heidi's have more of a 'V' profile so you would be losing some traction, hence feedback.

The Mitas has a much more rounded profile which was nice and secure feeling when trailing on loose surfaces, which I did quite a lot of on my tour.

But I was disappointed wit the mileage, the at the 130 width the Mitas has a central band just a few millimetres within the tread, which is OK in one sense but makes a short life, especially legally - not that that seems to matter too much here unless it's time for your ITV test - but see below!

Here's the Mitas about to go on, the central band doesn't look too obvious here but it did soon enough! What is clear is how 'round' the Mitas is, compared with the totally worn out Heidi so you can imagine the Heidi's original profile.

And I mean totally worn out! Having said that these 130 Heidi don't have this, so seem to go on forever, in contrast to the wider profiles that a lot of users complain about - to the point of doing this!

This is not me nor my bike - I don't want to go to prison!

Seriously, I don't know what it's like for you but here if you do this kind of thing you're insurance is not only nullified but if you're responsible for causing an injury - let alone death - then it's a criminal case rather than a civil one :(

For information to anyone touring in Europe: I highly recommend www.oponeo.com - just select the country you are in. I also recommend you use Paypal as some on-line sellers get funny if your credit card isn't domiciled in the country of delivery - no idea why this should be!

Regs

Simon

The Spanish Biker screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 03:48 AM
The Spanish Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #7669
turbo6bar
über n00ber

Oddometer: 64
Hey, folks. It's been a while since I've logged onto ADV. I bought an 07 X-Country earlier this year and have put a thousand miles on it over the past 3 months. I'm really liking the bike a lot, but I need to start doing some tweaks, as I have a 2 week trip to Colorado and Utah at the end of June. I plan to trailer the bike out with my cousin and do a mix of trails and sightseeing.

One thing that has always bothered me a bit is the vibration. I can feel it in the pegs and bars. It feels worse in the bars and only really gets to me when I ride longer than an hour. With the potential of being in the saddle for hours each day, I feel like I need to do something to address the issue. I have stock brushguards. Given that, should I try to add some damper of some sort, or is there some place else I should look to address vibration? An X-Challenge thread mentioned checking engine mount bolts. I searched about vibration in this thread, and saw no one complaining, so I have to think the problem may be in the bike itself. Honestly, I would say the vibration in the Country is only slightly less than my old bike, a DRZ400.

After 1000 miles, I would say the biggest surprise is the bike's on-road handling. It is so incredibly composed and easy to turn. Changing directions is so easy, also. Finding neutral is a lot harder than my old bike, but the torque of the engine is really great. I am running aluminum panniers and the stock BMW windscreen, and with premium fuel I am getting a routine 60 mpg.

If I can manage vibration better, get better wind protection, and fit a set of highway pegs, I would not be afraid to ride all day on this bike.

Jurgen
turbo6bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #7670
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Jurgen, glad you finally got one ! I'm keeping mine.

Hey, vibration is not a problem with mine or me. I often cite the smoothness of the bike as one of its primary attractions.

Ive posted many times in the past about how my XCo is set-up and how I use it. I have made several long-distance highway trips with it and comfort was not an issue. I do have a Corbin seat, though. I would not keep the bike if I had to keep the stock seat. I also have the bigger front sprocket but the bike was smooth before the sprocket change.

I don't know what your issue may be. Maybe you need the chinese motor ! lol Id check the mount bolts and tighten all the others too.

Sometime when Im up that way with mine, maybe we can swap out and compare.

Lastly, everybody has different tolerances and reactions to engine feedback. I prefer machines with running feedback. I am not a four-cylinder kind of man. I dont want to ride a sewing machine. That is why I typically gravitate to twins and singles. My current big bike is a Stelvio NTX. I've also ridden a H-D Shovelhead for 36 years that puts all else in perspective and makes everything seem so smooth !
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #7671
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

I agree with leafman here: my 2007 model isn't too bad vibration-wise, given it is a 650 single. I certainly don't have a problem with vibration through the bars, even though they now have quite high risers, it's still the same.

I only get fatigued after about 250-300 miles of hard road riding around the Pyrenees and that's from brain-faze as much as anything else. I use the standard seat and I'm far from being well padded in my own right :) - and I tend to use my sore rump as a good indicator that it's time to call it a day!

But maybe us Brits are just more accustomed to suffering :) :) :)

So I guess you should look into this vibration issue as a matter of urgency before you set off for your big trip - of which I'm jealous

Regs

Simon
Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #7672
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Hi turbo6bar,
Don't you think this is something related to the engine runing too lean?
If you add a booster plug or power commander that will smooth the engine and reduce the vibration.

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #7673
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanish Biker View Post
I agree with leafman here: my 2007 model isn't too bad vibration-wise, given it is a 650 single. I certainly don't have a problem with vibration through the bars, even though they now have quite high risers, it's still the same.

I only get fatigued after about 250-300 miles of hard road riding around the Pyrenees and that's from brain-faze as much as anything else. I use the standard seat and I'm far from being well padded in my own right :) - and I tend to use my sore rump as a good indicator that it's time to call it a day!

But maybe us Brits are just more accustomed to suffering :) :) :)

So I guess you should look into this vibration issue as a matter of urgency before you set off for your big trip - of which I'm jealous

Regs

Simon

Man, you ought to try a Corbin seat ! You will wish you had done it from the beginning.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #7674
turbo6bar
über n00ber

Oddometer: 64
Hmmmm. I will tear into the bike next week and look for anything unusual. At lower speeds, the vibration isn't terrible, but it's noticeable. At higher engine speeds, however, the vibration is quite present. I assumed the BMW would be smoother than the DRZ.

The bike is nearly stock. It still has the carbon canister and stock exhaust. It does stall religiously 20 seconds after I start the engine, but always runs fine otherwise. I'm not crazy about changing things out if it seems to work fine, but I have been eying the Booster Plug.

I bought a throttle lock for the bike, so I could rest my right hand. After installing it, it was then that I realized how much vibration is coming through. It feels like a random-orbital sander on the lowest setting, except the frequency is lower. The way it is, I know I would be exhausted after a hundred miles on this bike. I'm 37 and physically fit, so I doubt it is just me.

Personally, I have no complaints with the seat. The vibration bothers me far more than the saddle.

Jurgen
turbo6bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #7675
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

I installed a Booster Plug on mine after goiung with the Akra exhaust and Uni filter but I cannot say the Booster Plug had any noticeable effect on vibration.

The '07s did have some fueling issues, I think (?), but I wouldnt think this is causing the problem. Perhaps.

I've ridden DR's and KLRs and my XCo is way smoother.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #7676
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Man, you ought to try a Corbin seat ! You will wish you had done it from the beginning.
Yup, that's good advice. A better seat plus some kind of screen or fairing is on the wish list for next year, when I'm thinking of a long tour to Turkey and maybe the 'Stans' - the St Petersburg, then Noorcap . . . .

Actually accesories are a big problem for me in Spain as the aftermarket sector is small and I hate buying stuff over the internet that I haven't actually seen :(

Regs

Simon
Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #7677
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo6bar View Post
A)
The bike is nearly stock. It still has the carbon canister and stock exhaust. It does stall religiously 20 seconds after I start the engine, but always runs fine otherwise. I'm not crazy about changing things out if it seems to work fine, but I have been eying the Booster Plug.

B)

Personally, I have no complaints with the seat. The vibration bothers me far more than the saddle.

Jurgen
Point a) mine does that too - so no worries there!

Point b) I'd probably get sheepskin rather than a new saddle - or get a bigger bum!

Regs

Simon

PS - in UK English 'bum' means butt, fanny or any other word for one's derrier :)

PPS - in UK English 'fanny' means something so completely different it gets a five-star warning in case of mis-use
Old 05-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #7678
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanish Biker View Post
Yup, that's good advice. A better seat plus some kind of screen or fairing is on the wish list for next year, when I'm thinking of a long tour to Turkey and maybe the 'Stans' - the St Petersburg, then Noorcap . . . .

Actually accesories are a big problem for me in Spain as the aftermarket sector is small and I hate buying stuff over the internet that I haven't actually seen :(

Regs

Simon
Windscreens are a compromise. A big screen works great on the road but not so great on the trail. When you're bouncing up and down on the rocks and mudholes, the top of the screen can become a theatening guillotine striking at your neck and eye port.

Im using a Givi that is large compared to many others specified for the XCo. Since I use the bike as a true dual sport, it works fine for me but I must be careful of it on rough trails. On long distance high speed trips, I even add a removable Laminar Lip.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #7679
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador View Post

Ok, so here is some of my pics for the day.
Today is Cinco de Mayo. So I found it fitting to make this stop.
Alright yes my big head is in the way. So here is a better view.

Great Florida weather for May. Start temp 64 end temp 74.
Riding along I found this ranch with a nice entrance.

Well that's all folks. Have a great, Cinco de Mayo
Bret

Pescador, where is that Mexican restaurant?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:58 AM   #7680
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

These are being blown-out at $5500-6000 with abs and I am very tempted. I know of a couple guys who are getting them. 410 pounds, 58 hp, they are a close successor to the XCo. Id go with the Strada shown here with the 19 inch front wheel and abs.

Husky was sold to KTM and they've announced these models will be discontinued asap.

leafman60 screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 07:26 PM