Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #7741
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Now wait a minute ! Is that a set-up picture ? A fake fall?

How did you go down there ?? Road doesnt look so bad.

Alcohol?
Hi there Leafman.

The trail came up on the footage for my HISS Rally video. This was taken on the same section a few days later when the clay had dried out considerably!

The vid starts at about the place where I took my first tumble - simply came 'stuck' in the mud! - and the second is at about 1.50 on where I'm pleased to see another rider taking the corner well off line too

Yup, those Pyrenean trails have their charms!
Regs

Simon

The Spanish Biker screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 09:17 AM
The Spanish Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #7742
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
X-Country v F700GS off-pavement

I rode my F700GS on a forest service road yesterday (North Main Divide, Cleveland National Forest).

X-Country wins, NO CONTEST.

F700 is cushy and torquey like an R1200GS, but with an incredibly snatchy throttle! (You can read all about it on the Parallel Universe thread.) I even installed an Accelerator module, but it doesn't seem to help. Thus, I'm not sure I want to ride it any place other than level dirt roads.

Needless to say, I miss my X-Country more than a little bit. Maybe I'll get a DRZ400 sometime down the road to Feed My Restless.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #7743
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
Needless to say, I miss my X-Country more than a little bit. Maybe I'll get a DRZ400 sometime down the road to Feed My Restless.
Just dont go looking to rekindle an old flame! Guess I need to call them ASAP and put an offer in
Matt
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #7744
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Just dont go looking to rekindle an old flame! Guess I need to call them ASAP and put an offer in
Matt
Yes, it's pretty stupid to buy back a trade-in, however, it's infinitely CHEAPER than remarrying someone you divorced!

Geoffster screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 09:56 AM Reason: Endless fiddling
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #7745
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Stock shock

I have the original rear shock for my 2007 that I'd like to sell.

~4,000 gentle miles

$100 + shipping

Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #7746
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flachlandtiroler View Post
Thanks, Leafman.Especially for you some tulip pictures:

Dang ! Where is that ? I didn't know there was a single place remaining with that many windmills surviving so close together!
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #7747
Flachlandtiroler
sincere amateur

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Dang ! Where is that ? I didn't know there was a single place remaining with that many windmills surviving so close together!
I thought you'd recognise it, because you wrote that you went to Rotterdam regularly. The village is called Kinderdijk, only 10 miles from Rotterdam.It has 19 windmills.When I was little, many moons ago, you could go inside allmost all of them.Nowadays there's only one open for visitors.www.kinderdijk.org/
Flachlandtiroler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #7748
denaeught
n00b

Oddometer: 2
If I wanted to get one, where do you recommend I look, since they don't make the xCountry anymore? New England area, US. Thanks!
denaeught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #7749
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flachlandtiroler View Post
I thought you'd recognise it, because you wrote that you went to Rotterdam regularly. The village is called Kinderdijk, only 10 miles from Rotterdam.It has 19 windmills.When I was little, many moons ago, you could go inside allmost all of them.Nowadays there's only one open for visitors.www.kinderdijk.org/

It looks different in that picture !
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #7750
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Introduction

Hi, I'm Matt and I am a Beemerholic... Have a K100RS, and R1100S, owned and R90/6 for awhile and often find myself missing it...

Wife took the MSF course and just obtained a her first bike.. 07 G650 XCountry, previously owned by the infamous Geoffster...

Unfortunately for her (fortunate for me though) she is too short to ride it. Plans are to change out seat and get the 50mm lowering kit, hopefully that will get it manageable for her.. Unfortunately that will mean its too short and soft sprung for me to ride..
She did give me the OK to go on BMW Escondido ride with it, and take it to work a bit until parts can be obtained

New friends :)

I will have to get a group photo with the K100RS and M5 once those are cleaned up ;)

Questions to come in new post...

Matt
Old 06-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #7751
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Question time

Ok, now that I said HI (see above post), time for some questions...

Protection
1. Which engine/crash bars provide the best tip-over protection? SW-Motechs look good? So do the Hepco Beckers?
1. a. The bike has (I believe) Hyde skid plate, looking at the bolt that the SW guards need it seems like it will need slight trimming, can anyone confirm? I saw that the Touratech one does.

2. Again, for tip-over concerns, are frame and axle sliders useful? Or are they just for moving lay downs?

3. Is the pan for the 09 and 07 seats the same? Would it be better idea to get the 09 (anyone want to trade??) and have it re-shaped if needed, or would that be the same as reshaping the 07?

Thanks all!
Matt
Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #7752
an13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Big bash plate, for example Scheffelmeier http://www.bashplates.de/BMW-G-650-X...untry:::1.html and good handlebar/lever/knuckle protectors for example Barkbusters is all that is actually needed. Change gear shifter pedal to more bendable and you are good to go. It will slide OK on exhaust muffler/rear blinkers, foot pegs, bar ends and bash plate. Airbox plastics will get rubbed, but radiator damage is hard to get.
an13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #7753
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by an13 View Post
Big bash plate, for example Scheffelmeier http://www.bashplates.de/BMW-G-650-X...untry:::1.html and good handlebar/lever/knuckle protectors for example Barkbusters is all that is actually needed. Change gear shifter pedal to more bendable and you are good to go. It will slide OK on exhaust muffler/rear blinkers, foot pegs, bar ends and bash plate. Airbox plastics will get rubbed, but radiator damage is hard to get.
Hi, thnaks for that link - the KTM high mudguard kits looks mouthwatering!

I'd add the chain guide. Touratech do one which I'k told is a KTM part with an additional bracket. So if you can have the bracket made the actual guide is a snip!

Here's a link at random to the piece I'm talking about. I would go on any trail with the original!

Regs
Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #7754
turbo6bar
über n00ber

Oddometer: 49
I wanted to report back about my complaints of vibration through the bars and pegs. lewiss66 mentioned the Booster Plug reducing vibration. I ordered one a few weeks ago and installed it a while back. The vibration is much less than before. Gearshifts don't produce the loud clunking noise, and the bike never stalls after starting. The engine does not lug if I short shift. Torque seems to be improved. Also, I believe my mileage actually went up. Before, my mpg was always around 58-60 mpg. A few days ago, I got a tank that showed 63 mpg. It is only one tank, so I have yet to confirm it. IMO, the bike is much better, now. The Booster Plus helped in numerous ways. My bike is essentially stock (carbon canister still in place).

I am two weeks out of my Colorado/Utah trip. My cousin, his family, and I are scheduled to leave on July 2 and return two and a half weeks later.

I have to do some final prep on the bike. I need things like brake pads, oil filter, spare air filter, inner tubes, tire irons, and perhaps a new chain and sprockets. Do you guys go with any motorcycle supply house, or is there an inside track/adv supporter that I should contact?

Also, I'd like to get the Scheffelmeier skidplate, but am unsure if I can get one in only 2 weeks. If anyone wants to buy one with me and save on shipping, I'm game.

Lastly, the stock chain and sprockets have 10k miles on them. The rear sprocket is showing a good bit of wear. Would I be stupid to use them for this trip with 750+ miles of dual sport riding?

Cheers,
Jurgen
turbo6bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #7755
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo6bar View Post
I wanted to report back about my complaints of vibration through the bars and pegs. lewiss66 mentioned the Booster Plug reducing vibration. I ordered one a few weeks ago and installed it a while back. The vibration is much less than before. Gearshifts don't produce the loud clunking noise, and the bike never stalls after starting. The engine does not lug if I short shift. Torque seems to be improved. Also, I believe my mileage actually went up. Before, my mpg was always around 58-60 mpg. A few days ago, I got a tank that showed 63 mpg. It is only one tank, so I have yet to confirm it. IMO, the bike is much better, now. The Booster Plus helped in numerous ways. My bike is essentially stock (carbon canister still in place).
I'd be really interested in this 'Booster Plug' - but what is this?

Quote:
Lastly, the stock chain and sprockets have 10k miles on them. The rear sprocket is showing a good bit of wear. Would I be stupid to use them for this trip with 750+ miles of dual sport riding?
Not stupid, but I reckon it's a good idea to change now rather than await an emergency!

Meanwhile, some posts here refer to ride reports that included an X-Country, so here's mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qfNNb2qOOo

Enjoy!

Regs

Simon