Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #7756
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Basicaly It tricks the incoming air temp sensor (the one in the air box) making the ecu think the air temp is cooler. So It'll increase the fuel a little bit (runing less lean) and the engine becomes more smooth!
You can also find this module here:
http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Home/index.html

They say It's not a simple resistor which tend to not follow corectly the characteristic curve of the thermal sensor. So It'll works more in parallel with the air temps sensor.
In my case It help a lot the engine run smoother with a better mileage as well.
It help also to keep running in second gear at low revs on the trails (stock transmission)

You just have to plug in series to the actual sensor plug here:

Make sure you place the sensor under the head light like here to keep it away from the heat of the engine:

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011

lewiss66 screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 09:17 AM
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #7757
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
As I posted the other day, we just picked up an 07 XCountry and need to start working it up..
Biggest immediate interest is as follows.
1. 2009 or other LOW seat (Trade for my 07?)
2. HyperPro/Wilbers or other lowered suspension
3. Hepco Becker engine/crash bars (condition less important)
4. Adjustable Levers (Clutch Priority over brake)

Low priority, looking long term or killer deal
5. Exhaust, prefer Remus as it matches my other bikes, but open to whatever people have
6. Axle Sliders
7. Axle Work Stand thingy
8. Anything else you want to try and sell me... ?

Let me know what you have and what you want.. PM me please..

Matt
P.S. I posted this in the marketplace as well, but figure since its such a small market you guys will never see it there..
SchillerM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #7758
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
I'm back, been busy. Cloggy your English is great and I'm not upset no worries. Nice tulips and windmills.

Welcome new riders and... Geoff, how many months will it be before you buy your 3rd XCountry, you will miss her so much! I give it 6 months.
That would have to be a record.

Getting some new interest, that's awesome.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #7759
Rosa-Brazil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
F700GS vs. XCountry

I have a F650GS twin, which is almost the same as your new 700GS and I´ve made some adaptations so it performs better offroad:

1) Changed the pinion to a 16T -> immediate excellent results with a shorter 1st gear! In the beginning fuel consumption went up, then it seems to have settled at just a bit more than with standard gearing - at highway speeds of 110-120 km/h. At lower speeds offroad, no change in consumption.

2) Installed Booster Plug -> tamed the snatchy throttle a bit

3) Installed SHo-Rai battery and Remus exhaust -> bike lost 10 kg!!

4) Metzeler Karoo tires -> excellent offroad and ok on road providing you don´t want/like to rider at over 110 km/h, othewise it is noisy.

But I still want to have a XCountry for offroad because it is much lighter and the F650GS for paved roads-only trips - the 800cc engine is excellent.

I live in Brazil and the XCo is very hard to come by... and I want the 2009 cause it´s lower... well, one day I´, sure I will announce the news...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
I rode my F700GS on a forest service road yesterday (North Main Divide, Cleveland National Forest).

X-Country wins, NO CONTEST.

F700 is cushy and torquey like an R1200GS, but with an incredibly snatchy throttle! (You can read all about it on the Parallel Universe thread.) I even installed an Accelerator module, but it doesn't seem to help. Thus, I'm not sure I want to ride it any place other than level dirt roads.

Needless to say, I miss my X-Country more than a little bit. Maybe I'll get a DRZ400 sometime down the road to Feed My Restless.
Rosa-Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:01 AM   #7760
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Steering Head Bearings

Sooner or later, I need to replace these. I have a slight notch. Has anyone ever done this job? Any pointers. I will probably drain and replace the oil in the front forks too.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #7761
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Sooner or later, I need to replace these. I have a slight notch. Has anyone ever done this job? Any pointers. I will probably drain and replace the oil in the front forks too.
Yes. The steering head bearings are not that hard to replace. It does help to have a puller to get the lower bearing off of the lower triple and stem.

Get a bearing greaser for a few bucks, it is worth it to not have to spend the next 2 days trying to get the grease off of your hands.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #7762
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
For those with Conti Teek 80's on your XCo, did you have to do anything special re: fender at all, or is clearance fine? Also, how do you like them in general?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #7763
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_A View Post
For those with Conti Teek 80's on your XCo, did you have to do anything special re: fender at all, or is clearance fine? Also, how do you like them in general?
Clearance is clean 3/4" in front, just measured it, spec inflation and OEM fender. I have ~6,000 miles of wear on my front tire but you should have >1/2" clearance on new ones. Sticky mud would be a problem, if you ride in that.
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #7764
Stevie1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
X-Country

Hi,

This is my first post, and not sure if this is the right place to post, but cant find a wanted ads place for bikes.....so thought I would add this.

Being reading thru this thread and decided I want to buy a x-country, they keep popping up but having problems finding a 2009 lower seat version.

The other slight problem is Im in the UK, so hoping someone knows of one coming up or for sale, as not having much luck on line.

Sorry, any help, advice please???
Stevie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #7765
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
Hi,

This is my first post, and not sure if this is the right place to post, but cant find a wanted ads place for bikes.....so thought I would add this.

Being reading thru this thread and decided I want to buy a x-country, they keep popping up but having problems finding a 2009 lower seat version.

The other slight problem is Im in the UK, so hoping someone knows of one coming up or for sale, as not having much luck on line.

Sorry, any help, advice please???
There is a flea market you should be able to see now that you are a member.
http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Welcome and goodluck on your hunt!
Matt
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #7766
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

At the top of Palomar

Went on a ride Saturday with local dealer. We rode up Nate Harrison to a fire lookout tower on Palomar. First time riding dirt in years! Had about 14 bikes go up... Only 4 of us went back down the dirt though , rest took the pavement back...
Hopefully I can convince the wife to let me take it out a few more times before it gets modded and given to her..
Definitely want to get something for myself after that ride, F800GS, R1200GS, XChallenge...?

Matt
Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #7767
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
Age old question: chain wax or lube? What have you all been using on your Xco?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #7768
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Need some basic advice on cleaning front brake pads and rotors, see my full post over in the XCh thread.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #7769
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Age old question: chain wax or lube? What have you all been using on your Xco?
Geoffrey always said to "Never discuss religion (aka oil (or chain lube)" on our happy thread. Then we discuss it anyhow.

I've been really happy in dry desert conditions (meaning: I never see rainy roads), with DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver by Finish Line, #CS0110101. The all knowing Drone turned me onto this stuff. It sprays on wet then the carrier dries so it is dry and all that is left is the teflon wax base. O-ring safe and it does not fling off. What I also really like is you can buy it in a little 4 oz liquid bottle for trips to save space. And if you look hard it is cheap, sometimes at the local hardware store for under $10. I usually buy it from PowerSportSupertore.com as nobody is ever cheaper (but this link has a screwed up price right now or is a case of 6 or ??)... Try PhatPerformanceParts

They also make a Teflon Multi-Use lubricant but it is not as good and flings off. Here is a sweet review: LINKY

Before this, I used to use Bel-Ray Super Clean or Maxima Chain Wax. Gotta be dry for me now, I don't ride in daily rain so don't know it would perform in that scenario.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #7770
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Not a lot of choices for a good off-road front tire being 19" and the TKC80 is the ONLY tire I've run when I want maximum knobs (but I've never tried the rear, not enough tread depth for starters). They wear pretty well for what they are and bite well enough for me (dry rocky, desert stuff). Also I've ridden for hours at 70-80 mph on pavement in Baja and they are stable and seem fine. I personally always use the thickest tube I can find which is a Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty. I keep air pressure at 25-28 even in sand and deal with it (slow down as needed), I hate flats, and we don't have rimlocks either on those ultra wide rims.

As to the clearance, I have 2 set of wheels to keep a fresh set of knobbies for the weekend warrior offroad stuff so as not to wear them out commuting on pavement. I've never had a single issue with clearance on the TKC's but then I'm rarely in mud here in the Rockies and desert riding... and have never been in sticky mud. I remember some pics of somebody a few years ago in sticky mud and they managed but I could see it could be a problem. My theory is that if I ever got into that situation I would just take the fender OFF until conditions improved (but I HATE sticky mud and try to avoid it!). I also love the Wunderlich Extenda Fender. Here's a pic that shows how well it keeps mud off of the radiator (and rocks). It's been through some nasty stuff for the last 3 years. In my driveway I have 1/2" gravel and I will sometimes hear the knobbies grab a rock and eject it out the front, other than that I never know I have a low fender.

I could see raising it a little bit but I like the low fender in terms of: airflow to the radiator AND the radiator protection from throwing stones.... and can't see a high fender with slots in the back matching the low fender setup. If you search around, people have done some clever things. YMMV.

snooker screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 10:38 AM