Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #7786
scgodwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Ya know, Snooker, I never really bothered to pay attention to your preaching about the dangers of acrylic windscreens before, but I dropped the XCo on a gravel road today and the screen snapped in a way that opened my eyes to your teachings

It was a cheap Spitfire that came with the bike. I'm looking at a Wunderlich for a replacement as it is made of Lexan, but have read here that the bracket breaks easily. Is it easy to reinforce at all?

Just a quick cell phone pic to show the damage. My SW Motech bars took most of the impact up front, but I broke the left side front turn signal and scratched a couple of the black body pieces. Nothing I'm too worried about though, as what is the point of having a dual sport if you're afraid to scratch it once in a while
scgodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #7787
purdsam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Wunder windscreen bracket

Don't bother with the Wunder windscreen. I'm on my second one, and both brackets failed in the same manner. For the second one, I even took it to an aluminum welder to have it reinforced on on the bends, but it cracked just outside of the reinforcements in about a week. I'm stuck with the Wunder screen because I won't live without my HDB hand guards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgodwin View Post
Ya know, Snooker, I never really bothered to pay attention to your preaching about the dangers of acrylic windscreens before, but I dropped the XCo on a gravel road today and the screen snapped in a way that opened my eyes to your teachings

It was a cheap Spitfire that came with the bike. I'm looking at a Wunderlich for a replacement as it is made of Lexan, but have read here that the bracket breaks easily. Is it easy to reinforce at all?

Just a quick cell phone pic to show the damage. My SW Motech bars took most of the impact up front, but I broke the left side front turn signal and scratched a couple of the black body pieces. Nothing I'm too worried about though, as what is the point of having a dual sport if you're afraid to scratch it once in a while
purdsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #7788
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdsam View Post
Don't bother with the Wunder windscreen. I'm on my second one, and both brackets failed in the same manner. For the second one, I even took it to an aluminum welder to have it reinforced on on the bends, but it cracked just outside of the reinforcements in about a week. I'm stuck with the Wunder screen because I won't live without my HDB hand guards.
They used the wrong alloy for this.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #7789
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
Well, another slight modification to my much beloved GX. I have now changed the side panels from yellow to white and it looks way better to my eye. This is the colour she's going to stay from now on, I reckon. She was off the road for around 6 months and I put her back last weekend for a ride into the province. The clutch was knackered after a ride from London to London via all of Europe and then London to Cambodia where i'm currently residing. I fitted a new EBC heavy duty one and experienced instant awesomeness. I'm actually planning on taking her off the road very soon for a final refit. While she was sat around, some of the parts were harvested. I ordered some bits from Highwaydirtbikes but they never arrived. I was refunded but now they won't return my mails which left me with no switchgear. I bodged her up with chinese crap which is falling to pieces but my father, an engineer is making all new billet parts to my own design. They're going to be awesome!!! I also lost my clutch lever and replaced it with an adjustable one. I'm replacing the brake too in the next round.
After nearly 6 months off the road and after running on diesel, she started on the first try and ran flawlessly. We had a great ride down to my girlfriend's province which is a small "town" of wooden buildings out in the middle of an enduro trail. My mate ran on a Honda Foresight, 250 auto scooter. Fine on the highways but he lost it on the mud. I had to scout ahead for the route for him but he made it into town in the end. We had a great weekend being fed and playing fruit-ball with the kids. They're so poor they were kicking fruit about so the next morning we went into town with a bag of footballs for them. The bike was flawless except for a shot front bearing. That's very disappointing, it was a new All-balls set fitted less than 1000 miles ago. I assume it was fitted wrong by the "engineers" at the top Cambodian bike shop I took her to. Strange because when I put her away they seemed fine. Anyway, it's awesome to have her back. Everyone calls her "my girlfriend" because of the way I talk about her. Not too far from the truth...

Parked up at the province next to the big scooter.

My girlfriend on my girlfriend.

You can see the numberplate has had it. Jumping dirt mounds, 2 up at night is probably a bad thing.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #7790
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,675
So right before I decided to repurpose my X-Co for Mala Bunny to ride I had a heavier spring put on the rear shock. Obviously this is now unneccesary since she is much lighter. This shock has now been bolted in the bike, but has still never been ridden on, it is a brand new shock I got under warranty that was never in the bike until now. It is the tall 2007 shock with a 5.0kg spring. I'd like to procure a 2009 short shock with a stock spring, trade anyone?

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 06:04 AM
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #7791
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
So right before I decided to repurpose my X-Co for Mala Bunny to ride I had a heavier spring put on the rear shock. Obviously this is now unneccesary since she is much lighter. This shock has now been bolter in the bike, but has still never been ridden on, it is a brand new shock I got under warranty that was never in the bike until now. It is the tall 2007 shock with a 5.0kg spring. I'd like to procure a 2009 short shock with a stock spring, trade anyone?
Now there's a DEAL!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #7792
turbo6bar
über n00ber

Oddometer: 64
Hey, all. I am finally out of TN and in NM with my X-Country. It has been a rough first few days. I traveled out here with a cousin and his family. We've struggled with breakdowns and a variety of setbacks. I am currently outside Taos in beautiful backcountry.

The XCountry is awesome on the mountain roads. It handles the curves, ascents, and descents with ease. However, I got an eye infection and had to leave the others and head to civilization to see a doctor. On the way down from Questa, the duffel bag strapped to my panniers caught fire from the hot muffler. I lost almost all my street clothes. It could have been far worse. I am only out pride and a few hundred bucks.

Based on limited time off-road, I'd say the bike needs suspension work. I think it needs stiffer springs and work on valving. Washboard gravel is harsh even at low speeds of 25-30 mph. Maybe I need to go faster. Also, when I am on the pegs, it feels like the bars need to be higher and more forward. It feels like they are too close to my hips. Otherwise, the bike is great. Every person who's seen the bike said it is a perfect for the mountains. This bike on mountain roads is pure awesome. :-)

I am letting my eye heal before heading to Durango and 550. I want to hit some passes up there and try not to ride above my newb dirt skills.

I'll upload pics when I can some off my camera.

Jurgen
turbo6bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #7793
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo6bar View Post
Hey, all. I am finally out of TN and in NM with my X-Country. It has been a rough first few days. I traveled out here with a cousin and his family. We've struggled with breakdowns and a variety of setbacks. I am currently outside Taos in beautiful backcountry.

The XCountry is awesome on the mountain roads. It handles the curves, ascents, and descents with ease. However, I got an eye infection and had to leave the others and head to civilization to see a doctor. On the way down from Questa, the duffel bag strapped to my panniers caught fire from the hot muffler. I lost almost all my street clothes. It could have been far worse. I am only out pride and a few hundred bucks.

Based on limited time off-road, I'd say the bike needs suspension work. I think it needs stiffer springs and work on valving. Washboard gravel is harsh even at low speeds of 25-30 mph. Maybe I need to go faster. Also, when I am on the pegs, it feels like the bars need to be higher and more forward. It feels like they are too close to my hips. Otherwise, the bike is great. Every person who's seen the bike said it is a perfect for the mountains. This bike on mountain roads is pure awesome. :-)

I am letting my eye heal before heading to Durango and 550. I want to hit some passes up there and try not to ride above my newb dirt skills.

Jurgen
I'd go read the post above yours for starters.....but you nailed my whole experience on the Country...loved the bike but feel more at home on the Challenge.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #7794
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo6bar View Post

Jurgen
Well, I have the spring you need.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #7795
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

I did actually go about changing the spring last week, but I didn't have a spring compressor handy and did it in the vise with some ratchet straps. So this is now a "brand new" shock with some marks on the lower clevis from the vise. Still would like to procure a 2009 shock, but I could sell the spring separate.

I also ordered a spring compressor the same day, much easier.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #7796
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Welcome turbo. Hope you heal up.

The stock shock is sprung I think for a 170 lb rider? You sound bigger like many of us. Plus the valving on the stock Sachs shock is limited and can only handle basic bumps offroad. If you want to go cheap then keeping it and installing a proper spring is the way to go, assuming your shock has not already blown its hydraulic preload (the big knob that you crank to increase the compression preload, as I recall). Talk to muddy and see if his spring is the right damping rate for your weight. I am surprised he installed it that easily as i thought John at Moto-Pro had to buy a special toolset to work on these shocks, so YMMV.

If you want a serious shock for off road I'd get the Yacugar or HyperPro but prepare to spend about $1000 or so . I know, tell me about it! $$$ I have a web page discussing options and dimensions when I installed my Wilbers shock, which I have since replaced with a Yacugar and didn't update the page yet. On the Wilbers I tried 13-18 kg spring rates with varying success but that is on the is a different shock setup than stock.

I am 5'10" and also find it a bit cramped but have not installed bar risers like some have. I've learned to live with it and it doesn't bother me at all anymore. I expect if you are a lot taller it might not be tolerable. But it's a nice "small-ish" bike for a 650. Everyone on this thread loves it! (big surprise!).

As far as riding in SW Colorado, from 550 north of Silverton you can take Ophir Pass west to Telluride. Ophir is an easy one to start with, and has spectacular scenery like everything around there. The most beautiful part of Colorado, IMHO. There are others of course.

snooker screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 10:59 AM
Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #7797
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
What's everyone's preferred method of chain upkeep (i.e. cleaning, lubing/waxing, how often, etc.) on the Xcountry? I can't imagine it's any different than any other chain, but I thought I'd just ask in case there was anything special people have noticed with the Xco.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #7798
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I am surprised he installed it that easily as i thought John at Moto-Pro had to buy a special toolset to work on these shocks, so YMMV.
It was getting to the internals like the valving that required him to fabricate some tools. Part of the shock is not designed to be taken apart, but he found a way around it. Changing the spring is just the standard operation of compressing it to relieve pressure and pull the disc out that the spring sits on. For some reason I procrastinated about ordering a spring compressor, and while I did it with straps I do NOT recommend this procedure.

My objective with the 5KG spring was to get the bike to where I was not relying on the hydraulic preload at all, even with some gear in the boxes. We have a good local suspension shop that we sub out shock work to, and I consulted with him before picking the spring. The little bit I rode it around in the parking ot it seems like it would do the trick, and when Mala Bunny got on the bike it did not compress at all. Hence why it is useless to me.

It seems like a few months ago there were tons of people wanting to trade a short 2009 for a tall 2007 shock, guess I missed them all!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #7799
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Does anybody out there have the GS 911 Diagnostic Tool ?

I want to see what it says on my bike. I'm gonna work on the cold stalling issue and currently am looking into the coolant temperature switch / sensor.

If you are local to me I'd love to swing by and see what it says (willing to pay of course, anything other than going to my dealer ).

Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #7800
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

FYI ( I keep forgetting to mention this) I now have an install tool for that phooking helicoil in the left side of the frame that the swing arm bearing pin threads into. I have 2 helicoils on hand, and I am working on getting bunch to keep on hand since BMW doesn't even list it as a part.