Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #7891
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
The seat on any bike makes all the difference in the world about the bike's comfort and rideability.

I've said it before, as much as I like the XCo, I would not keep it if I had to ride it with the stock seat.

I changed-out to a Corbin soon after buying the bike. Since then, I've made several long (2000-mile) trips with no problems.

As far as reach to the ground, two characteristics of a seat determine this- the height of the seat and the width of the seat.

Most people focus purely on the thickness or height of the seat but the width is just as important. A thinly-padded wide seat can seem as high as a thicker-padded narrow seat.

The width of the seat spreads your legs out and makes ground reach more difficult, vice versa.

I'm 6-2 and pretty long-legged. With the Corbin seat and the stronger 15 kg spring on my 09 XCo, I cannot quite flatfoot the bike. I'm just on the balls of my feet my foot usually. Just right for me. I wouldn't want the bike any taller and certainly not any lower.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #7892
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
I picked my baby up this morning from a full service. As my friend told me, I'm handy but I'm not a qualified mechanic so I had to bite the bullet and get her looked over. Since leaving London, she's done around 40k kilometers, trying to keep up with a KTM990 through Europe and with a KTM trying to keep up with me on the rough. She's worked really hard and all I've done is change the oil.
So she came back with a list of faults.... blank. Nothing. Clutch cable might need replacing soon, he said but it's a heavy duty clutch so he changed his mind about that even. The valves didn't even need adjusting. She just continues to be awesome. I have never loved a machine as much as this bike.
It is one sexy looking bitch for sure!
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #7893
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

F800S - New Mistress

Well, I acquired this a few days ago and I love it. It won't go in the woods but it's a fun time on the road. Hey, it's the same color as my XCo !

Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #7894
turbo6bar
über n00ber

Oddometer: 57
If anyone has recommendations on a rear rack, tell me about it. I don't want to spend $229 for the tiny one from Touratech. The PO sold the one that came stock on my bike. It needs to be compatible with H&B pannier racks.

The one muddyrabbit made looks awful nice, but I don't think he is making them any longer.

Basically, I want extra carrying capacity. I may throw a spare Pelican case on top, so I can carry goods when I don't have panniers installed. I feel the X country is an excellent run-around bike and is perfect when I just need to run errands.
turbo6bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #7895
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo6bar View Post
If anyone has recommendations on a rear rack, tell me about it. I don't want to spend $229 for the tiny one from Touratech. The PO sold the one that came stock on my bike. It needs to be compatible with H&B pannier racks.

The one muddyrabbit made looks awful nice, but I don't think he is making them any longer.

Basically, I want extra carrying capacity. I may throw a spare Pelican case on top, so I can carry goods when I don't have panniers installed. I feel the X country is an excellent run-around bike and is perfect when I just need to run errands.
Look at the HB one? Still not on the cheap side.. But works with the side racks..
Matt
2003 BMW R1100S BCR - #57/200, Laser, Ohlins, Other goddies - RIP Jeff; 1999 BMW R1100S - Remus (For Sale soon); 1989 BMW K100RS - Remus, Fox Rear; 2000 BMW M5 - Few Dinan Goodies..
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #7896
purdsam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Rear rack

Quote:

I like the SW-Motech one. I use it with the Hepco Becker 42L topcase. I did add aluminum reinforcements to it because the topcase stuck out pretty far on the back and was beginning to bend the rack.
purdsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #7897
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Heyyyy, you guys are not paying attention ! I go out of town for three days and you let the XCo thread slip to 5th page !
Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #7898
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 338
Quote:

I highly recommend the H & B rack. I've now put on a Nanuk hard carry case rather than a top box and it's soooo useful :)

Regs

Simon
Old 08-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #7899
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,342
Favor

My XChallenge has a 1" lower shock, so it sits too upright on the side stand. Rather than cutting my stock kickstand, I'm wondering if I couldn't just use an XCountry side stand. I'd appreciate it if somebody could measure their side stand (pivot to tip, or something else you could specify). The fiche lists it as 304mm, but I don't know how that is measured. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #7900
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
My XChallenge has a 1" lower shock, so it sits too upright on the side stand. Rather than cutting my stock kickstand, I'm wondering if I couldn't just use an XCountry side stand. I'd appreciate it if somebody could measure their side stand (pivot to tip, or something else you could specify). The fiche lists it as 304mm, but I don't know how that is measured. Thanks for the help!
I measured the 09 side stand that I just got in a trade. It measures 250mm from ground to center of pivot bolt, that is the stated length on RealOEM for the short stand.

304mm = 07 XCountry
250mm = 09 XCountry
No length given for XMoto or XChallenge... If you measure please share.

Matt
2003 BMW R1100S BCR - #57/200, Laser, Ohlins, Other goddies - RIP Jeff; 1999 BMW R1100S - Remus (For Sale soon); 1989 BMW K100RS - Remus, Fox Rear; 2000 BMW M5 - Few Dinan Goodies..
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #7901
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Yep, independently verified before I read the other reply!

I measured my 07 kickstand and it measured 12 to 12 1/8" from the center of the bolt and the other end is the center of the main round portion of the kickstand itself. Then I converted and 12" is 304mm .

This is au natural, without hockey puck(s):

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 10:27 PM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #7902
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,923
Just curious Snooker, but does the muffler shield work at all to get the heat off the rider? The bike puts off a lot of heat under my bum.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #7903
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,342
Thanks for the replies! I'm on a short trip on the VFR, but will measure when I get back in a couple days.

Regarding the heat issue - that's a Leo Vince exhaust on Snooker's bike. So it doesn't have a cat like the OEM exhaust. I bought the same exhaust in the hopes it would I prove the heat on my left thigh. It helped some, but I've come to realize a lot of the heat seems to emanate from the oil sump (or at least from that area).
Old 08-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #7904
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Im running an Akra exhaust on my 09 and I really do not notice a heat problem under the seat.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #7905
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
I think it's safe to say these bikes normally run hot. Lean-burn engines do that, they're meant to.
I took a ride out this weekend. We're heading to the end of the rainy season so what's left of the mountain roads is basically just mud and water. A section around 3-4 miles long was completely missing and the rest of the 100 mile stretch was pitted and made of loose gravel and rocks. We were running 2 up with moderate luggage.

And I rode with a friend. He was also riding two up with his luggage stowed under the seat. He ran a little slower and his tyres struggled a bit but he made it without falling off, with mud slushing over the footboards. Respect is due.

jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote