User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #796
catdander
catdander

Oddometer: 44
kicksave, your seat looks terrific.
is it common practice to have an apolsterer customize mc seats. not only is my inseam short, 29" but am also very short through the torso. i've got an 09 xc and would like to have it a bit reshaped, just don't want to loose the comfort of the cushioning.
although the front half appears to be flat i find myself sliding up. was thinking of taking some off the mid section to keep my butt in place. maybe replacing with a softer foam as you said, to "cradled into the seat wherever I place myself".
catdander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #797
Kicksave
wannabeema

Oddometer: 168
Thumb custom seat

Check out a couple of upholstery shops in your area. Make sure you use one that has worked with Motorycle seats before. Because there are concerns a rider will have that a couch or car owner won't. Some cover materials are more weather and fade resistant than others. And the firmness of the foam can make a huge difference in your comfort.

Have an idea of what you're trying to accomplish. Let them know exactly what problems you're having with the factory seat. A good upholsterer will work with you to figure it out. If they let you, ride the bike with the foam reshaped before they cover it. Then you can make necessary adjustments before they give you a finished product.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #798
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,183
Nice looking seat. Seems though most people are looking for an even lower seat? Am I the only one that is looking for a taller seat? I figured something like the xCountry seat, but without the "cutout" up front would be perfect. Maybe even raised a bit from that? I like being able to easily move around on my seat, not quite easy with the stock xCountry seat. Might have to email Renazco or something of the sort?
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #799
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Second what Dave said about a guy who has bike experience or who is willing to learn using your bike and his expense in case of a do over needed.

I had a guy who was a master at auto upholstery do my GS11 seat. It was wonderful looking and also wore well but the material (ok my fault as I approved it) was high friction. Thus I couldn't slide my ass around easily. That made some riding tougher as well as my stopping 'one foot down' which I do.

My guy would probably have done mine over for a trivial fee but I sold the bike to a guy who was happy with the seat (bright yellow color). So it worked out.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #800
Kicksave
wannabeema

Oddometer: 168
Cool2 custom seats - part deux

Renazco would be an excellent choice. They've made seats for many an off road bike. In Ojai, Ca. Bill Mayer makes a great motorcycle seat. They made a seat for a G650 XChallenge Police Bike Prototype for us. But I used a local shop here in Long Beach. They covered a 96 R1100 GS seat for me a while back in black and tan with the old VW basket weave vinyl. They were cheap and quick, so I used them again. The seat for my XC was done in about 4 hours, and it cost less than $300.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #801
Kev_England
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Geoffster - is this available to the public yet? If so can you post details?
I have an exchallenge but think the grab handles are the same fit as X Country.
Cheers, Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster
Oddly enough, this is one of the first things I checked on my bike when I noted that TT saddlebags come with a steel subframe, and I saw that my '09 does not have removable rear footpegs like earlier models. Yes, I too gave my '09 the magnet test and it stuck. So BMW figured out that XCountry owners are treating their bikes like adventure bikes (pack mules), and have given the '09s appropriate subframes. All I can say is "cool!"

BTW, I put a rack on my bike that's a prototype from a XCountry owner in Canada. The final version will be available after the first of the year and will have slightly different attachment points. It's unique feature is that it attaches to the factory grab handles. It also works quite well with the BMW sport tailbag which also rides on my R1200RT.

Kev_England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #802
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Nick's Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_England
Geoffster - is this available to the public yet? If so can you post details?
I have an exchallenge but think the grab handles are the same fit as X Country.
Cheers, Kevin.
It should be available from http://www.naturereach.com/shopping.html . Email Nick at info@naturereach.com to be certain.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 AM   #803
Red Adventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster
It should be available from http://www.naturereach.com/shopping.html . Email Nick at info@naturereach.com to be certain.
?
Red Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #804
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Adventure
?
Nick's website says "under construction," although everything seems to work. I suggest emailing him before going through the PayPal ordering process. No point being disappointed or angry if he can't ship immediately.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #805
Red Adventure
Adventurer

I don’t know how many of you have seen the mods I made to my XCountry but I thought I would add a bit here.
When I got the bike the first thing I fitted was some hand guards to give the bike a better look and to protect the leavers in a fall over.

Next thing that bothered me was to fuel range. Although the Xtank looked like a good option, when landed here in South Africa it wasn't a cheap option. Since the whole idea of me choosing the XCountry was price driven this wasn’t an option for me.
So all that was left was for me was to have one made locally. I decided to go with steel sheeting then to line the inside of the tank and put polyurethane on the out side for strengh.

Next was a screen and again the BMW screen wasn’t going to work, so a Kapa screen with a few mods did the job just fine.

At the same time I needed to find a solution for repairing punctures. I use an old adjustable walking stick and modified a 26 spanner and a long tyre leaver.

The stick livers here for when its needed

Then for my compressor I fitted a aux power socket (and for my GPS too).

The power comes straight from the battery.

Next was a front mudguard to stop the spray of mud in my face. For this I use a universal rear fender and made a aluminum bracket to attach it.

The last thing added was a proper after market bash plate.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #806
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,227
Nice work Red!

Can you give some more details on your walking stick? Close up pics? Where do you place it?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #807
Red Adventure
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik
Nice work Red!

Can you give some more details on your walking stick? Close up pics? Where do you place it?
Sorry about the poor pictures but in those pictures the front and rear wheels were in fact lifted off the ground. The walking stick just holds the bike tipped over the side stand, if that makes sense to you?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #808
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 96
Nice work. Gotta love lots of self-modding.
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #809
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,183
Found this, in case anyone wonders if the xCountry can handle going off-road .

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:47 AM   #810
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Hey Gang,

I have spent a lot of time reading all the posts in here, and you've convinced me that the X/C is for me. So I just put down a deposit on a 2009 with ABS. I'm just waiting to hear back on the financing, and for the snow to go. It's gonna be a long 2 months. The first things I'm getting are a tank bag and bar protectors.

Pics when they become available.

Cheers
novaboy is online now   Reply With Quote