Old 02-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #811
Kicksave
wannabeema

Oddometer: 168
Thumb Congrats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy
Hey Gang,

I have spent a lot of time reading all the posts in here, and you've convinced me that the X/C is for me. So I just put down a deposit on a 2009 with ABS.

Cheers
Isn't it amazing how helpful the information on this site can be when making a purchase decision. You hear the good and the bad, the useful and the uselees, the positive and the negative, the yin... you get the idea. I hope we get some more pics on the thread. That has been the most interesting part for me. I like to see how people individualize their machines. Again Congrats on the purchase. Hope you have as much fun as I'm having.

Kicksave screwed with this post 02-10-2009 at 03:08 PM
Kicksave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #812
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 669
Yes, I'm guilty of not posting any pics; gotta take the time to put them in bmwxplor and then get them here.
I enjoyed that little offroad video. I'll be on a x-country in April at the 2-day enduro course in S.C. My partner should be on an F650, not sure if twin or single. Should be a hoot!

I've got the Hepco-Becker pannier mounts on order and will try to get some pics when they finally arrive. My partner installed some Moose grip heater elements on the 2009 xc and ran a relay from the taillight so that they turn off with the key. He also installed a headlamp on/off switch that we used to have on our DRZ's to save juice. It is a plug and play into the back of the headlamp. When it is engaged, only the parking lamp is lit (which is quite bright), and saves a bunch of watts when running heated Gerbing gloves or heated grips and the heated vest. We got the headlight on/off switch off the shelf at a little moto shop and have not been able to find a reference online to post it up.

Did about 200 miles on Sunday with grips and vest on full. Volts were reading 14.2 most of the time on my non-abs model.

Averaged about 66 mpg tip-toeing through gravel-strewn backroads. The TKC's felt good in the gravel.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #813
Kicksave
wannabeema

Eek Great Ceasar's Ghost

66 MPG at low speeds on a trail? That's encouraging. I haven't had mine off road yet. Had planned to go last Sunday with another inmate, but weather stopped us. Still running the stock Tourance. Will switch to TKC's if I find myself going off road more often. Sounds like you had some fun.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #814
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
I find almost no diff in mpg off road if the off road is just cruising along like down a dirt road in 3rd.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #815
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,343
66mpg?

I feel like I must be doing something wrong then. Unless it's my cruising speed. While cruising down Illinois-20 home from Iowa, I'd get between 50-55mpg depending on how fast I was going. (speed limit most of the way was 65mph). I did get to take it out this last weekend. Heated grips helped

Andrew

ps. tkc80's to be installed later this week
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #816
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
I feel like I must be doing something wrong then. Unless it's my cruising speed. While cruising down Illinois-20 home from Iowa, I'd get between 50-55mpg depending on how fast I was going. (speed limit most of the way was 65mph).
I get between 60 and 70. I get the best mileage when using gas without or with low ethanol and with the max pressure on my tires. I had it drop to below 50mpg when I had low air pressure and a tank full of e85. That stuff sucks!

Nice mods, by the way.
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #817
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXcountry
I get between 60 and 70. I get the best mileage when using gas without or with low ethanol and with the max pressure on my tires. I had it drop to below 50mpg when I had low air pressure and a tank full of e85. That stuff sucks!

Nice mods, by the way.
I didn't even know it would run on E85!!!
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #818
andrewgore
Team MGH

Unfortunately the no\low ethanol content won't jive for me. Lovely midwest, I'm guaranteed to have at least 10%. The times I was getting lower mileage, I'd be filling up right by the Illinois\Iowa border, so who knows what crazy conccotion of fuel I was getting

Andrew
Old 02-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #819
Kicksave
wannabeema

nice lights

I like those auxiliary lights, Andrew. They're really discreet. I'm also curious if they're a drain on the electrical system.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #820
andrewgore
Team MGH

The lights are actually from Autozone. Couldn't beat the 20$ that they cost. The bar that I have on there, was just 2 pieces of aluminum that I welded together, and then bolted to the bottom of the lower triple tree. Bolted perfect into where the xChallenge fender mounts to. If I'm cruising down the road at highway speed, they're not a real big load on the system (My bike is NON-ABS). I currently do not run with both the heated grips and the lights on. I also make sure to keep an eye on the voltage as I'm cruising, to make sure it stays above 12.5-13 volts.

Andrew
Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #821
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Another photo from the NYC tag game

shot tonight

uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:02 AM   #822
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Hi there,

What windshield do you have? I'd like to have one that I can put on for highway trips and take off for off roading.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
I feel like I must be doing something wrong then. Unless it's my cruising speed. While cruising down Illinois-20 home from Iowa, I'd get between 50-55mpg depending on how fast I was going. (speed limit most of the way was 65mph). I did get to take it out this last weekend. Heated grips helped

Andrew

ps. tkc80's to be installed later this week
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #823
andrewgore
Team MGH

The windshield is the Spitfire Slipstreamer. I got part number: 231929 from Denniskirk.com Only downside is that I needed different mounting brackets. I just machined mine to fit the bars though. Other than that, it made long on road sections much easier on the arms and chest.

Andrew
Old 02-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #824
ropedrag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXcountry
shot tonight

Ya know, If I was the owner of that building I'd........ love it!

ropedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #825
onemoreokie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Today's Ride!

onemoreokie is offline   Reply With Quote