Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 AM   #61
V8R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseye
Chipping in...

Ian from Stubbo (near Gulgong/Mudgee).

Just found a nice bunch of dirt backroads from here to Wongarbon last weekend - noice...
Joel from mudgee (formally out near birkalla / merotherie area), sounds like you went on the mystery ride from mudgee? you may have seen my little bro, lanky bloke on a red baby ninja..

im unrego'd at the moment, but seriously eyeing off a 250R, what with the 5% finance and all! love to get out and explore some of that dirt some more!
V8R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 AM   #62
The Fireman
on the edge

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente
Hi Fireman...

How far up are you talking... how much is in the main dam basin itself? We skied Wyangala almost every other weekend when I was a kid (early 80's)... Often boated across the other side to Quartpot, or up to the junction to find good water up the Lachlan or Abercrombie, when it was blowing...

I can recall some occasions where the boat ramp at main beach come up a couple hundred meters shy of the waterline... but from what you write, it sounds like it is almost empty?
G'day Troy
Checked the dam level website http://waterinfo.nsw.gov.au/sr/wyangala.shtml looks to be around 8%.....
Had my Bucks weekend out at 'main' a few years ago and you had to drive/ride down to the water (too far too walk) and I don't think it has gained much since.
I too had parts of my youth (still in nappy's and in the boat) we use to stay in a house a mate of Dad's owned in the village.. cira 70's...

Will do a ride report later in the week.

You can see the 'old wall' in front of the 'new wall'

both from quartpot lookout..

looking at Grabine

98% Of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.
- Anonymous

The Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #63
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by la fletche
I'm between Quambone and Coonamble. Took my eldest boy for a sleep over at the Warrum Bungles Last weekend. I am a Nigel no freinds over here, no other Adventure riders. My only Mate with a V-Strom 1000 has just put his on the market by the way wants around $7000, so I will be riding solo again. Says he wants more pickup so is changing over to a sports bike, I called him a pussy only last night once again. 1 little spill on dirt and its all over!
your not that much of a nigel i live in town will have to go for a run

originally from Lidster near Orange
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #64
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 617
Speaking of views, the view from the top of Goobang is pretty damn good.

Coolah Tops is great too.

Good to see a few others around.
Turborob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #65
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborob
Speaking of views, the view from the top of Goobang is pretty damn good.

Coolah Tops is great too.

Good to see a few others around.
I assume you're talking about this view from Goobang?

About due to get back out there actually! Maybe give it a month or two and let the rain come first, it gets bloody dusty there!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 AM   #66
fooledagain
midlife crisis?..bullshit

Oddometer: 281
???

By Goobang could you mean the trig hill that we used to call Strayhorns Peak? It was about 15 ks south of the Obley Rd. Haven't been up there for about 20 years, but it didn't have safety fences and such back then.

I'm just not addicted to shiny shit (regie308)

Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.
fooledagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #67
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fireman
G'day Troy
Checked the dam level website http://waterinfo.nsw.gov.au/sr/wyangala.shtml looks to be around 8%.....
Had my Bucks weekend out at 'main' a few years ago and you had to drive/ride down to the water (too far too walk) and I don't think it has gained much since.

I too had parts of my youth (still in nappy's and in the boat) we use to stay in a house a mate of Dad's owned in the village.. cira 70's...

looking at Grabine

Geeze, looks like you need a cut lunch, compass... AND a grappling hook to find your way down to the pond... We used to have the boat in the caravan park cove... only 100m from where the 'van was...

Okay, from another aspect... when was the LAST time it was full? (In all the years we went there I never saw it THAT low... maybe 50%? Last time I was there was 1992 (i think?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:07 AM   #68
The Fireman
on the edge

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente
Okay, from another aspect... when was the LAST time it was full? (In all the years we went there I never saw it THAT low... maybe 50%? Last time I was there was 1992 (i think?).
Was chatting to a bloke at work today, and he was saying he saw it in 82 when it was 6% and it filled in 6months......

98% Of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.
- Anonymous

The Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #69
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooledagain
???

By Goobang could you mean the trig hill that we used to call Strayhorns Peak? It was about 15 ks south of the Obley Rd. Haven't been up there for about 20 years, but it didn't have safety fences and such back then.
Yep, they have graded all the roads and put up railings and steps blah blah blah. It is nothing like it was.

If you stay off the main roads in there (yes, there are main roads in Goobang now) there are some good tracks still. Just have to know where to look!

If I could be bothered I could dig out some pics of us riding there in the late 80's and early 90's.... but I couldn't so you miss out! We rode it in 1990 - water almost the entire way! Luckily I was wearing gumboots with my overalls at the time! Stylish riding gear there!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 AM   #70
fooledagain
midlife crisis?..bullshit

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKS-Man
Yep, they have graded all the roads and put up railings and steps blah blah blah. It is nothing like it was.

If you stay off the main roads in there (yes, there are main roads in Goobang now) there are some good tracks still. Just have to know where to look!

If I could be bothered I could dig out some pics of us riding there in the late 80's and early 90's.... but I couldn't so you miss out! We rode it in 1990 - water almost the entire way! Luckily I was wearing gumboots with my overalls at the time! Stylish riding gear there!

I've been back into riding for about 6 months or so and pretty much done all the local stuff again except for Strayhorns Peak. The old turnoff/entry from the Alectown - Baldry Rd no longer exists but a few hundred metres away from where I thought it used to be is a bright shiny graded road with signs . Now I am intrigued even more, just have to go and have a look I suppose. I also have a pic from the 80s which was taken on that old track, also wearing all the gear . If I can find it I will post it .... maybe...

I'm just not addicted to shiny shit (regie308)

Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.
fooledagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #71
holmesie OP
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Been a while between replies in this thread. Wonder how many active Central West members we have now?

(ECKs-man, I'm still keeping my eye on the Canowindra paper for news of a gig in our town )
Old 08-15-2010, 03:11 AM   #72
[Red]
Intentionally Left

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesie
Been a while between replies in this thread. Wonder how many active Central West members we have now?

(ECKs-man, I'm still keeping my eye on the Canowindra paper for news of a gig in our town )
+1 I'm in Cowra, keen for any rides or a beer or several

http://scrapheapadventureride.com.au
[Red] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #73
Jarve
Cocky

Oddometer: 78
Im at Boorowa , know my way around wyangala ,cowra or I suppose a fair few roads with in 150ks of home . Keen to find new ride Ideas !!
That the road to hell is sheep.

Anon, The Jackaroo's Lament
Jarve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:35 AM   #74
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 992
What about a overnighter for us all? . I'm thinking a central west loop and jump in when you can.

Maybe- Cowra - Wyangla- Crookwell- Bathurst- Hill end- Wellington- Dubbo-Parkes - Forbes- Cowra?

Open to suggestions and deviations.

Better get your new bike Holmesie

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #75
holmesie OP
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not for Highway Use
Better get your new bike Holmesie
Old one leaves on Tues, would I be lucky enough to get a new one Wed?!! We'll see

I would be very keen for that ride you propose even if I have to take an Ag bike from the farm

holmesie screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 03:53 AM
holmesie is offline   Reply With Quote