ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
DSM8 OP
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,698
990 ADV Crashbar install - SW Motech

Being a 990 this is not one of the lightest bikes around to ride in the dirt, but few others can carry you down that dirt road at triple digit speeds.

…did I also mention it helps if you’re a little on the insane side to properly utilize one of these beasts to their full potential.

That said, riding off road will inevitably lead to a spill of some kind, drops, crashes wipouts..whatever…

One of the more vulnerable comports of these bikes are the gas tanks (yes tanks..plural)

There are two on this bike, one on each side and are constructed of a very tough yet light weight plastic or polymer. What ever the are good and strong but, at 1500 each to replace, are in dire need of some protection when the inevitable face plant in the dirt takes place.

There are several choices out there for crash bars from the factory KTM, to several aftermarket. You can also get come carbon fiber bling for the tanks as well.

Bang for the buck I decided to go with the bars that are imported and sold by a company called S.W. Motech (www.swmotech.com) sold in the US through a company called Twisted Throttle (www.twistedthrottle.com). Considering they were 100 bucks less than the factory ones it seemed like a good economical choice.

Impressions:

Well the bars are stout and seem well built. The first set that I got though were not manufactured to spec and hit the fuel petcocks on both sides. This would be really bad in a crash as the bar could in theory break off the petcock and you would be left with a busted fuel tank.

That said the folks at Twisted Throttle (once pics were sent to better explain the issue) went out of their way to correct the problem. A new set of bars were sent out quickly as possible (since they are made in Europe it took a few weeks to get them).

The new bars were just a nice as the original ones but these fit without issue.

Installation:

This was really a snap, it took me about 20 minutes to put them on, the directions were really clear and easy to follow. If you can read a pictograph you can install these bars.

The new set had one flaw regarding the clamps.

They had a blind nut welded onto the back to facilitate installation, problem was it is for an M6 bolt size and either they will need to include the correct bolt and spacer to work with the blind nut or they will have to weld on an M8 sized blind nut to work with the supplied hardware.

I was lucky since I had the clamps from the other set I just used them but believe me the blind nut will make install much easier, getting to the nut on the throttle side is a real bear and takes some time and patience.

Observation:

These bars stand a nice distance away from the tank, no issues with rubbing and are uniform in appearance on both sides.

There seems to be adequate clearance between the bars and the petcocks with the new ones (hard to see in the pics sorry bout that) and overall the install was really quick. One of the features I like about these bars that are not a part of the KTM ones is the cross bar that connect the two behind the front wheel. This makes sense to me in how it would offer more stability to the tops of the bars in a get off. But I am not an engineer so that is just my opinion.

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 644
How different are these bars from the Hepco Becker ones? Anybody knows which one is better?
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
ABADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by viatormundi
How different are these bars from the Hepco Becker ones? Anybody knows which one is better?
They look identical. I found the HB hard to install due to the fact the install instructions are in german and the package comes with all the necessary materials for both the 950 and the 990. Took 5 beers but gottr' done.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABADV
They look identical. I found the HB hard to install due to the fact the install instructions are in german and the package comes with all the necessary materials for both the 950 and the 990. Took 5 beers but gottr' done.
I see, if it's german beer than it goes faster I assume Any price difference btw the two?
Old 12-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
FastEddy760
Lil' Mexican on a 990s

Oddometer: 188
Same Bars Sitting On Floor Next To Me...

Hey DSM8,

Thanks for the write up. I have my SW bars sitting on the floor next to me. Waiting for a lower steering clamp to arrive before I do another tear down. I have a few parts to install, so figured I'd wait until all arrives since I would need to remove these bars at that time.

Going through the parts list, and looking at the bar clamp, as you noted, they have the blind nut with the wrong size bolt. I have a good parts kit (nut & bolt), so I expect to leave the blind nut supplied, and use a 6 for sake of simplicity. Good to see its not me and they actually did ship the parts kit with a common error.

As for the bars themselves, I am glad I chose these over the KTM bars. I feel these are sturderier, and stronger.

I might get them powdercoated before installing them.

Yanks, buy them soon, before the dollar costs you even more.

FastEddy
FastEddy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
DSM8 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddy760
Hey DSM8,

Thanks for the write up. I have my SW bars sitting on the floor next to me. Waiting for a lower steering clamp to arrive before I do another tear down. I have a few parts to install, so figured I'd wait until all arrives since I would need to remove these bars at that time.

Going through the parts list, and looking at the bar clamp, as you noted, they have the blind nut with the wrong size bolt. I have a good parts kit (nut & bolt), so I expect to leave the blind nut supplied, and use a 6 for sake of simplicity. Good to see its not me and they actually did ship the parts kit with a common error.

As for the bars themselves, I am glad I chose these over the KTM bars. I feel these are sturderier, and stronger.

I might get them powdercoated before installing them.

Yanks, buy them soon, before the dollar costs you even more.

FastEddy
If you use them your going to have to get the right size bolt witha much larger head due to the size of the hold in the bars themselves that the bolt passes through.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
auslander
Meh

Oddometer: 707
Well the combination of seeing you get the bars on, and the 6" of snow we got here spured me to get those bars on my 990. Last time I tried I must have had the front side off by just a bit, because the clamps that go around the frame in the back were off by about 1/2" -- but this time it went on with only a little cajoling.

Smugmug gallery here

Is this too close to the fuel cutoff? It's very close.

Closeup of the brace behind the wheel:

Next step is to mount a pair of TrailTech MR11 lights on the bars, they are just the right size:

auslander screwed with this post 12-09-2007 at 04:17 PM
auslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
gavP
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 133
I have had these on my 950 for about 18 months, looks like they have changed the design of the frame mount for the better.

Will post a picture of mine when back in the same country as the bike.
gavP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
DSM8 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslander
Is this too close to the fuel cutoff? It's very close.
You should have at least a half inch between them and the bars when fully open, ifnot then you may have one of the prior production run that were a little off. The first batch i had were hitting the petcock when in the closed position. new ones have alot more space between the two.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
auslander
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8
You should have at least a half inch between them and the bars when fully open, ifnot then you may have one of the prior production run that were a little off. The first batch i had were hitting the petcock when in the closed position. new ones have alot more space between the two.
Crap... well, good to know. I sent off an email to TwistedThrottle, we'll see what happens.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
DSM8 OP

Quote:
Crap... well, good to know. I sent off an email to TwistedThrottle, we'll see what happens.
take a really good picture (that seems to best show them the problem) and include a ruler in it so they can see the measurments etc. Will make your life a little easier.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #12
farmdirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
crash bars question

twisted throttle shows two types of bars , same price, but the picture

shows one with a virtical bar running up the leading edge of the tank.

Has anyone tried this type ?
farmdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #13
DSM8 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdirt
twisted throttle shows two types of bars , same price, but the picture

shows one with a virtical bar running up the leading edge of the tank.

Has anyone tried this type ?
If you read the first post closely that is the type this whole thread was written about....n00bs

Old 01-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #14
auslander
Meh

God Dammit!

I just got my replacement SW-Motech bars from Twisted Throttle (sent mine back the day before xmas, the new ones just arrived, that's 20 days).

Two problems:

1) They are exactly as close to the fuel cutoffs as the old bars. OK, maybe 1mm farther away or something, but still really really close. I thought that was the whole point in replacing them?

2) The nuts/bolts kit includes the wrong bolts. The little curved brackets that go around the frame on the sides of the bike have nuts welded on to make it easier to get the bars on, but the nuts are for a smaller size bolt than they supplied (and frankly a smaller size bolt that I'd like to use).

WTF?

All this waiting and for THIS?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 AM   #15
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Quote:
God Dammit!

I just got my replacement SW-Motech bars from Twisted Throttle (sent mine back the day before xmas, the new ones just arrived, that's 20 days).

Two problems:

1) They are exactly as close to the fuel cutoffs as the old bars. OK, maybe 1mm farther away or something, but still really really close. I thought that was the whole point in replacing them?

2) The nuts/bolts kit includes the wrong bolts. The little curved brackets that go around the frame on the sides of the bike have nuts welded on to make it easier to get the bars on, but the nuts are for a smaller size bolt than they supplied (and frankly a smaller size bolt that I'd like to use).

WTF?

All this waiting and for THIS?
It is hard to believe that an established company like SW releases a product in uncomplete design. Is the engineer responsible for quality drinking too much jägermeister or what??