ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #16
mutt2jeff
Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer: 972
I installed my SW bars last night, and the package came missing two bolts, a spacer, a washer and a nut. I was able to scrounge around my garage and make due, but I was unimpressed. It might have had something to do with the big hole in the bag that all the fasteners were in.

The only thing Homeopathy cures is dehydration.
mutt2jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #17
DSM8 OP
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutt2jeff
I installed my SW bars last night, and the package came missing two bolts, a spacer, a washer and a nut. I was able to scrounge around my garage and make due, but I was unimpressed. It might have had something to do with the big hole in the bag that all the fasteners were in.
Call them and tell them what was missing, they might send you out a new bag of fasteners etc. Even if you dont use them those nifty aluminum spacers really come in hand on other projects.

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #18
FastEddy760
Lil' Mexican on a 990s

Oddometer: 188
As DSM8 noted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8
If you use them your going to have to get the right size bolt with a much larger head due to the size of the hold in the bars themselves that the bolt passes through.

I used two left over fender bushings from the high fender kit and the allen head bolts pictured next tot he bushings.

This allowed me to use the blind nut as I prefer to not drop a nut a thousand times trying to get it started. I'll contact Twisted Throttle later on and see what the resolution is. For now, I can ride, which is what my head really needs.
FastEddy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #19
FastEddy760
Lil' Mexican on a 990s

Oddometer: 188
Ooops, the pic...

from the high fender kit...
Attached Images

FastEddy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
auslander
Meh

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8
Call them and tell them what was missing, they might send you out a new bag of fasteners etc. Even if you dont use them those nifty aluminum spacers really come in hand on other projects.

Yeah, the bolts are really not a problem, I can easily get replacements. The thing that concerns me is that the new bars, from a new "fixed" batch shipped from Germany were identical to the ones I sent back.

Does anybody have close-up pics of the bars where they pass close to the fuel cutoffs? I'm very tempted to just keep these bars as I'm not really convinced they will shear off or damage the cutoffs in a crash.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #21
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Nice post. Thanks I will use it for my install. Funny that SW Moto has such niggling quality issues.

steve
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #22
str
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I just bought and installed a new set of sw-motech crashbars to mine 990 and at first i could not get them to fit.

There was no way that the bolts nr 2 and 14 in the picture ( sw-motech manual ) was lined up when i used the spacers that was shipped with the bars. On the right side i almost made them fit with brute force but then the crashbar hit the fuel cutoff. But i made a new spacer nr 16 in the sw-motech manual and after that everything was ok no problem with the fuel cutoff and easy to install. The new spacer was 3 mm thinner then the one sent by sw-motech.

Bought my set from a German power seller on ebay for 105 euro really cheap if i compare to what i have to buy for a set here in Sweden
str is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 AM   #23
Viajantelatino
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey STR

Im having the same problem. I cannot make those 2 bolts to fit with those spacers that came originally...! can you send me pics of how you ended up putting it?

thanks!

Rodrigo
Viajantelatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
onewoodsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
You do know this thread is 5years old right?
onewoodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #25
Altego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129