Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
keesperquin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
F 650 GS Dakar Highway capability´s

Hello guys,

I´m considering buying a F 650 GS Dakar.I will use the bike mainly for a daily 60 km commute (one way), mainly highway. But I also want to start with some (light) off-road riding in the weekends.

I like the 650 Dakar because of:

• Low fuel consumption
  • Light, so easier off-road capability's
  • I´m also buying a 650 GS for my girlfriend, same bikes would be ideal for maintenance (which I do myself)
  • I really like the look of the Dakar
  • Also ride a lot in city´s and through traffic jams (we have a lot of ´m in Holland) and a light smaller bike suits best then
My main problem is that I do not know if this bike is up to a daily 120 km commute from which about 90km highways. Is it still comfortable doing 130/140 km/h (80/85 m/h)? And isn´t this to harsh for the engine?

My other option is a R 1100/1150 GS. My dad has one and I know it´s really comfortable on the highway and still capable of some light off-roading. But I think it´s too heavy to really learn and be comfortable off-road... It also uses quit a lot more fuel, which is pretty expensive here in Holland.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!
keesperquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
keesperquin OP
Adventurer

p.s. I know own a Suzuki gs450e (1988) and a Kawasaki GPZ500s (1991) so I'm not spoiled/very demanding at all riding comfortable on highways
Old 03-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,334
Mine runs out of steam around 75-80 mph. It will get there and run and run but there is nothing left.

That said, it is a great commuter, lighter than an 1150, nimble, easy to work on, better off road, and gets great mileage.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 1,482
Really any big thumper will do the work "okay". These are dual sport machines not freeway fliers. They all seem to be able to cruise max 75-80mph before everything like oil, handling , gas consumption goes down the drain. If you want to cruise at 80+, you need to use one of your other bikes IMO.

RIDE RED!
WTB: Honda XR650L bottom end
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
keesperquin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
Really any big thumper will do the work "okay". These are dual sport machines not freeway fliers. They all seem to be able to cruise max 75-80mph before everything like oil, handling , gas consumption goes down the drain. If you want to cruise at 80+, you need to use one of your other bikes IMO.
The other bikes have to go if I buy a BMW. Don't have got enough room for more than 2 bikes. But I´m still in doubt if a single cylinder bike will do.. It´s not that I like flying over the freeway, I just have to do it a lot, even if I want to ride for fun it takes about 100km before the roads get any interesting and there are off-road possibilities. On the other hand, if 80mph still is doable I can get just get along with the other traffic (max speed here is 80mph). I think I need a decent test ride to figure this out.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,056
Of all the ~650cc single cylinder adv bikes the Dakar is probably the best one for lots of commuting miles & some light off road IMHO. They are certainly comfortable to ride at 130km/h, more so than most big thumpers. The performance to fuel economy ratio is really good too.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Rubiconnn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I just bought a Dakar a few weeks ago and took it on my first out of town trip last weekend. It was a 200km total round trip ride and my first impression is that it's very comfy going about 55mph. I only took it on the freeway for a few KM, but it managed up to 90MPH no problem. For long distance rides above 65MPH, I'd probably buy a large windscreen for it, as mine has a slightly extended windscreen and large wind deflecting hand guards and I still find it a bit windy.
Rubiconnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
keesperquin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiconnn View Post
I just bought a Dakar a few weeks ago and took it on my first out of town trip last weekend. It was a 200km total round trip ride and my first impression is that it's very comfy going about 55mph. I only took it on the freeway for a few KM, but it managed up to 90MPH no problem. For long distance rides above 65MPH, I'd probably buy a large windscreen for it, as mine has a slightly extended windscreen and large wind deflecting hand guards and I still find it a bit windy.

That sounds pretty promising. I'm waiting for a dealer to get a nicely priced R1150GS he's expecting within a week or so. He's already got a nice Dakar so I can make a good comparison :) Thanks for all the info, I'll keep you updated!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,170
You could always change the final gearing for use during the week (+1 on the counter shaft) to drop the highway RPM then switch back for the weekends. Counter shaft would be quicker to change than the rear sprocket.

Gone but not forgotten...
1980 Montesa Cota 200
03 DRZ 400s
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
keesperquin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
You could always change the final gearing for use during the week (+1 on the counter shaft) to drop the highway RPM then switch back for the weekends. Counter shaft would be quicker to change than the rear sprocket.
That sounds like a good idea. Will keep that in mind thanks!

Something totally different, any ideas on what to look out for when buying a F650Gs? Any weak points? Or important maintenance at certain mileage?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn K701 met Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
RSL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,314
My kid just bought a 2001 Dakar and uses it to commute on LA freeways and for weekend dual sport. He says last weekend he cruised along at 100 mph, no problem except the stock windscreen is not very good for that speed. Including fast cruise speed and some off-road riding in sand in the California desert, he averaged 63 mpg. Another guy reported that he rode across most of the US on his Dakar, his friend on an R1150GS. They were cruising mostly at ~70+ mph even though he weighs 280 lbs. and had his bike LOADED, yet averaged 56 mpg for a ~9,200 mile trip including mountain ranges in the western US.

I may sell my K-Bike and my R-bike, and get a Dakar. If so, will probably use a Madstad screen mount, or similar.

Reportedly, you can strip off the useless ABS, use a lighter battery, etc. and get the bike down to ~340 lbs. empty, which would really help off-road and with acceleration.

Go for it.

Also, if you like camping, google for keywords "ultralight backpacking." Reportedly, some hikers can walk for 2 weeks in the wilderness with a total carried weight of ~15 lbs. including tent, backpack, sleeping bag, gear, food, etc.. I figure if they can do that, surely I can get by on a motorcycle for similarly light weight. Stowed aerodynamically, it could actually streamline the bike and get better fuel economy.

RSL screwed with this post 03-14-2014 at 05:43 PM
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #12
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,799
i have a 02 dakar and i run a stock cs sprocket but a 2 tooth lower rear sprocket for super nice freeway riding. its sweet spot is 70 mph with that gearing just barely working the motor but will blast past 100 easily.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
I have my Sertao geared lower for around town and offroad (1 tooth smaller on the front sprocket), and it's great around 55-60. 65-70 is ok, but the engine is at 5k rpm. I think the motor will handle it fine, but 70 mph riding is really where a twin or a triple is noticeably better. What about and F800gs? A bit better for fast cruising without giving up too much offroad over the Dakar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
keesperquin OP
Adventurer

My twin is doing more than 5k at 70mph haha. But I'm still searching for a nice Dakar to testride. I love the f800gs especially the adventure edition, but it's way above budget. Apart from that I like the sound and feel of a single cilinder. I hope a testride will proof to be comfortable enough to do some highway riding!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
Hamburgler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
madstad

+1 on the mad stad wind screen,works super well.Before i had it i had to ride with my visor down,now,visor up all the time crusing at 130 kmph

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing
Hamburgler is offline   Reply With Quote