Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,509
Question Anyone using a Auto-clutch on their DRZ400S?

Howdy All,

I bought my DRZ400S new in 2002, I have ridden it in all types of terrain for over 4,500 miles. I have done all the usual mods but am thinking of installing the "Rekluse z-Start" unit in my bike. Does anyone have any "real" hands on experience with this unit, if you bought it would you buy it again, do you recommend it to other riders? Thanks.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon ( https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6 )
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,092
Haven't tried it on a DRZ, but I have it on my Husaberg 470. It came on the bike when I bought it. I always thought that it would turn a perfectly good dirtbike into a Trail 90, but after using and abusing it I absolutely love it. Tight trails become so much easier, and I'm able to concentrate on my line rather than worrying about feathering the clutch and keeping it running. My dad tried it and promptly bought an EFM unit for his KLX300 (Rekluse doesn't make one for the KLX).

Personally, now that I've used it and had so much success with it I find that is one of the first mods I will put on any bike from now on. I think most riders don't think much of them until they try one, then they really love it. That's the way it worked with me. I even converted my bike to a left-hand rear brake since I don't need the clutch lever anymore, but that's a whole other subject.

Dave, you're welcome to try my bike if I ever make it back up for another DRIPS run. It's been awhile since I rode with you (like 2 years) but if I do feel free to hop on.
Pro_Marinero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,774
pm "terryth"
He has one on his DRZ, loves it. Rode the Divide with it last year. He has the left hand rear brake setup too.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
northcountry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
revloc

Installing a revloc today on a fs550e husaberg. $525- revloc has lowered prices. Will be going LHRB. No hands on experience, but feel from all the reviews, it's the way to go.
northcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
I've only ridden one bike with an auto clutch-525. Other than cost there is no down side. Buy the perch adjuster if you want to fan the clutch for fun,corner exits or wheelies. Left hand brake would be the bomb though. I didn't like it the first hour or so(rough release) but after break in i changed my mind. Light flywheeled 4t would be best served IMO but i would put on on my 300 2t if i wasn't so poor. They have a 30 day satisfaction or return deal.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,745
hiya dave! i've missed mr. cob. hope all is well with you and the gang down there.

for the clutch... i rode crash's bike down in colorado a while back it's the same as yours with the auto clutch. i believe it's a revloc, but i'm not sure. maybe pop him a pm. he knows... and i'm sure he rode the shit out of that thing!

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
This might be a dumb question/statement, but so what? I've never been known as brainey anyway. How can you not love the clutch action on a DRZ? Mine is smooth as butter. I like my DRZ clutch better than my KTM expensive hydraulic unit. Keep the pivot point and cable lubed, the right gearbox oil, and abuse it as necessary! My DRZ clutch is easy to use as could be. If you don't feel like you are good on clutch use, practice! Get out in a wet grass field with all your safety gear on, and have at it.

I see benefits of autoclutches, but just don't see the point for most riders. Make sure your clutch is working well, and learn how to work it well. Riding a bike is about learning to me. Where I see the advantages of an A-C is for hardcore racers. I know a guy with 30 years of experience, "A" level race guy who just started using one. He loves it. But he also has the clutch override, and a left hand rear brake so he can trail brake in right hand corners. Do you do that or need to? I also think that often on truly technical terrain you lose as much as you gain with an A-C. When you stall on a hill, you don't have the engine to stop the back wheel, the bike is in neutral. Even with the left hand rear brake, you have to keep your left hand on the brake lever, therby making it harder to get off, lean over, or whatever else you need to do.

It's an expensive and fairly effort-consuming mod, and you can simply learn to do what the A-C does with a little practice.

And I ride with TerryTH, he loves his A-C. But I love to tease him about it too! On second thought, get the A-C so I have one more guy to tease.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
I've used one on my DRZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy All,

Does anyone have any "real" hands on experience with this unit, if you bought it would you buy it again, do you recommend it to other riders? Thanks.
Howdy Mr. Cob. I had a Rekluse on the DRZ for 2 seasons -- complete with the left-hand rear brake. In short: on the street I didn't like it at all, but on the trail, it's cheating. Seriously. I never had to worry about stalling on steep, rocky, rooty, muddy climbs. Just gas and go. Hammer the rear brake without any concern for stalling. Come out of a corner in the wrong gear (i.e. one too high) -- no problem.

I think there're two real benefits. 1) The obvious lack of stalling and 2) the confidence you get knowing you won't stall. Both improve your ability to tackle tough terrain.

Having said all that, I just recently returned my DRZ back to a standard clutch because I bought a trail-specific bike. The DRZ is going back to more dual-sport and around-town work, and I prefer a manual clutch on the street.

Would I do it again? If I were sticking with the DRZ as a trail bike, yes. If I were racing (regardless of what trail bike I had) I would get an autoclutch.

Is it for everyone? I can't answer that. You can find all sorts of posts of very experienced racers who now swear by them as well as hate them.

If you're interested in buying a used one, let me know. I'm in Seattle. I was planning on ebay'ing it at some point in the future.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas
This might be a dumb question/statement, but so what? I've never been known as brainey anyway. How can you not love the clutch action on a DRZ? Mine is smooth as butter. I like my DRZ clutch better than my KTM expensive hydraulic unit. Keep the pivot point and cable lubed, the right gearbox oil, and abuse it as necessary! My DRZ clutch is easy to use as could be. If you don't feel like you are good on clutch use, practice! Get out in a wet grass field with all your safety gear on, and have at it.

I see benefits of autoclutches, but just don't see the point for most riders. Make sure your clutch is working well, and learn how to work it well. Riding a bike is about learning to me. Where I see the advantages of an A-C is for hardcore racers. I know a guy with 30 years of experience, "A" level race guy who just started using one. He loves it. But he also has the clutch override, and a left hand rear brake so he can trail brake in right hand corners. Do you do that or need to? I also think that often on truly technical terrain you lose as much as you gain with an A-C. When you stall on a hill, you don't have the engine to stop the back wheel, the bike is in neutral. Even with the left hand rear brake, you have to keep your left hand on the brake lever, therby making it harder to get off, lean over, or whatever else you need to do.

It's an expensive and fairly effort-consuming mod, and you can simply learn to do what the A-C does with a little practice.

And I ride with TerryTH, he loves his A-C. But I love to tease him about it too! On second thought, get the A-C so I have one more guy to tease.
I understand 100% completely what you're saying. I was in the exact same boat.

All I can say is... if you don't want to spend the money and you like using your clutch, do NOT take an autoclutch bike on gnarly billygoat trails. As soon as you're done you'll be figuring how to fit one into your budget.
Pro_Marinero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,791
Not for a DRZ, but The Patman did a thorough review of the Z-Start Pro (with video goodness) here-

http://www.klrworld.com/index.php?op...116&Itemid=156

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
bkowal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I have one on my DRZ. The first time you get the bike stuck and have to push it out of a mudhole you will love it.

I like it on the street. When you pull ou to a stop light, no need to down shift in every gear. Just keep clicking the shifter into first while stopped.

It will make you faster in the woods. I figure it removes about 20% of the work in riding a bike, which leaves more brain cycles to prevent hitting trees and rocks that jump out at you.

Also, you can fly into a turn and square it off by slamming the back brake without having to worry about stalling the bike. Then, you can ride a gear higher, then use the autoclutch to accelerate out of the turn when you hit the gas. This is a very effective method. The fastest riders do it that way but it is much easier with the autoclutch. Yes, it is like cheating.
bkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,264
I'd love to put one on my DRZ-400K... but I'm not about to spend almost a third of the cost of the bike on something I don't really NEED. I'm just not that rich.

I think if I had a left hand rear brake hooked up, I'd end up killing myself a week later on my VFR.

m
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #13
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Old thread I know but I have a question about Rekluse.

Does it replace your oem clutch plates and discs or does it keep the oems?

If the discs and and plates arent OEM does that mean you have to spend 400$ everytime your clutch goes out?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #14
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
Ill first say that I dont run one. But Ive ridden friend's bikes that do.

Besides the obvious factor of not having to worry about stalling through some nasty terrain. The other factor is just helping w/ fatigue on a long tough day of riding.

When I bought my 300 2T it actually came with one installed. Mostly bc Im cheap I took it off and sold it to make back some money and put the old clutch back on. Personally, Im glad I did that mostly bc Ive gotten into much more offroad in the last 4 years or so since buying the bike and its forced me to really learn how to use the clutch.
That said, I wouldnt be against having one at some point in the future.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #15
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
A good riding buddy has one on his bikes. He abuses the crap out of it. I thought they would wear out quickly but they seem to take abuse well.
He runs taller gearing AND generally is a gear or two higher than me.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote