Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #151
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
i've been working with that FZ1 also - my observations are that its raked back too much when fastened to the face of the stock shroud - i'm in danger of whacking my lovely faceshield on it there. so I'm trying some bracing using lumber angles [small 90' degree galvalum fasteners] bent at something like a 120 degree angle, against the backside of the shroud to stand up the FZ1 shield pretty close to vertical, behind the stock shroud.
The big drawback is going to be that it won't be quickly detachable.

I want to also try the KLR shield, as shown here and mentioned previously by a handful. since it is molded to sit forward of the junction just a hair, and its short, its not quite so threatening to the head.... I guess if one used wingnuts on the backside, it could be a pretty quick detach..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeLT
What a great fit. I like your shield... What model year did you use. 2001-2?
Zapp22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #152
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
It's a Gen1 ...2001-2005. The Gen2's are 2006 and later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeLT
What a great fit. I like your shield... What model year did you use. 2001-2?
fizzerfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #153
double_d
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Has anyone tried to fit a early model mini fairing from like a '90-'91 model before? I aquired one and it looks like it would be a simple install, with minor modification, for no cost to me. I don't think it will hurt to try. It's definitely not the prettiest looking screen, but if it works that's what I'm looking for. Any help is appreciated!

~David
double_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #154
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
Another approach ...

This guy has done some nice customizations ...
http://www.lescouflair.net/2KDR650/2000_dr650.htm

Fixed Fairing with KLR windscreen .. (also notice the Aux. Lights on the front reflector brackets)
http://www.lescouflair.net/2kdr650/F...ing/index.html
= = = = = = =

GsVs screwed with this post 05-29-2008 at 02:13 PM
GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #155
double_d
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Got the mini fairing mounted, will post a pic ASAP. It works great too! Air hits between my neck and nose. Another optio for people to think about!
double_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #156
hugo-rush
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
03, 04 GS 650 windscreeen

What are these going for($$$$) and can you still get them at the stealerships??
hugo-rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:15 AM   #157
hugo-rush
Adventurer

Laugh GS 650 wind screen

I went to the BMW dealer yesterday to get a price for the Dakar style shield ....$240 +tax (CDN)

can anyone get it cheaper???
Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #158
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo-rush
I went to the BMW dealer yesterday to get a price for the Dakar style shield ....$240 +tax (CDN)

can anyone get it cheaper???
After looking through the first page on this thread, I did a search and found this:

http://www.webparts.com/diagram.php?...71&hg=46&fg=55

A little bit better than your price, hunh?
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:20 PM   #159
hugo-rush
Adventurer

GSDakar Shield

Thanks dude I was looking on that site and all I could find was the other style shield and that is way cheaper, you know after our Canadian taxes I would have been paying upward of 1K by the end.

One more thing guys, I don't think I have a master link on my chain. Is this the way they come from the factory?? I'm going to double check again
Old 06-01-2008, 04:25 AM   #160
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Here's a repost from a few months back

Puig GS/Dakar screen

I copied this off the Chain Gang site. According to the post there, this came from whitebuffaloracing.com for $67 plus $12 shipping; that was posted several months ago though, so who knows about the price now. I don't think it's on the website, you have to call them to order. I believe it comes in clear, too. I've not tried it, just passing along the information.

Sarah
greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #161
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo-rush
Thanks dude I was looking on that site and all I could find was the other style shield and that is way cheaper, you know after our Canadian taxes I would have been paying upward of 1K by the end.

One more thing guys, I don't think I have a master link on my chain. Is this the way they come from the factory?? I'm going to double check again
Hugo, The stock chain is "endless loop" which is to say that there is no master link.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #162
hugo-rush
Adventurer

DRZ Chain

Yeah I was wanting to get that new 41 sprocket on and I must have spent 1 hr looking for that master link, Thanks for confirming Cptturbo I thought I couldn't find it.

So now if I want to change the sprocket and chain I have to take the whole wheel off, I think I'll go to the mechanic this week

Old 06-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #163
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
I put a Buell Lightning headlight on my 98. The small screen is from Laminar Lip for the Ulysesses. The wind blast hits just below the top of my helmet and does,t feel to uncomfortable.

Gives a fair bit of protection in the rain and snow.
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #164
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
DR650 Turbo City Windscreen adjuster brackets

First I would like to say that the Turbo City windscreen works as advertized ….
(from Turbo City’s web site) “The wind screen is a rigid mount non adjustable and is designed to relieve some on the upper body air pressure on the faster portions of your ride. Reduces upper body and back fatigue and allows for longer rides. Easy to look over even for the shortest riders."
It did just that … and with pretty smooth air flow, but at my height 5’ 11” – 32” inseam on a Corbin seat it put that airflow right at my eye level.

I know I should just close my faceshield (which the airflow did for me at 40 mph or so) and be happy … but ... I like to ride with my faceshield open at times (with glasses on of course) so below is my rather crude attempt to make height adjuster brackets for the TC windscreen to get that airflow above my faceshield.

= = = = = = = = = = = =
= = = = = = = = = = = =
I like what Coyote X did in the thread linked below ,,, but I didn’t see it until I had mine most of the way complete.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=dr650
= = = = = = = = = = = =
= = = = = = = = = = = =

Below is what I came up with, the red dots represent the four windscreen attachment points which will now be used to mount the adjuster brackets to the Turbo City brackets. The other circles represents the options available to now mount the windscreen to the adjuster brackets.

The hole are spaced ” apart vertically. Any set of four holes (picture moving the yellow X up or down) can be used to mount the adjuster brackets to the TC brackets and then the windscreen can be attached to the adjusted brackets at the other locations.

I used ” x 1” alum. Bar, saber saw and small drill press. I plotted my design out full scale, taped it to the alum. Bar, center punched the center of the holes then used the drill press to drill the holes. I rounded the top and bottom corners with a file after rough cutting with the saber saw.

I plan on getting the alum adjuster brackets power coated black some time this winter, should improve the looks a bit.

========

See below pictures to make sense out of the above paragraphs.
========

========

========

========

========

========
Due to the bolthead of the bolt connecting the adjuster brackets to the TC brackets and the fact that the TC windscreen has a slight curve down at the bottom, spacers are needed between the adjuster brackets and the windscreen.

You can play with different thicknesses of spacers at the top and bottom to adjust the airflow, it is amazing what a ” difference will do to the airflow.

As you can see in the last picture above – adjusting the windscreen up also brings it back. At this time I’m only using the DR650 to commute on so I’m on the seat 100% of the time, I wouldn’t want to stand on the pegs with the windscreen where it is now.

But not only can you adjust the windscreen up you can also go lower so I guess once you get to the off road part on your ride you can stop and adjust the windscreen down. About five minutes or so I would guess.

Not the best solution but it has worked for me (DISCLAMER – I’m not an Engineer or “Windogilist” so use at your own risk)----- We really need someone like MadStad (V-Strom) to design a slick quick adjusting bracket system.

Larry

GsVs screwed with this post 10-02-2008 at 05:19 PM
GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:20 AM   #165
Pumpkinhead
Professional Azzhole

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer
Puig GS/Dakar screen

I copied this off the Chain Gang site. According to the post there, this came from whitebuffaloracing.com for $67 plus $12 shipping; that was posted several months ago though, so who knows about the price now. I don't think it's on the website, you have to call them to order. I believe it comes in clear, too. I've not tried it, just passing along the information.

Sarah

It's not on the website. When I gave them a call awhile back, they said they don't have any in stock, and they only get them when Puig decides to make some. Apparently they only make them now and then whenever the feel there is a demand. Just keep checking fleabay. I got mine there a couple of weeks ago for cheap.

Dave
Pumpkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote