Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #166
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
What, nobody posted the 'Screens for bikes' screen yet ?

Screens For Bikes
Peter - 03 9469 3192
Melbourne, Australia

screensforbikes@optusnet.com.au
or
screensforbikes@gmail.com

AU$120 plus postage

BurnieM screwed with this post 12-24-2008 at 03:23 PM
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #167
Gobby
Trust Me!

Oddometer: 395
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM

Screens For Bikes
Peter - 03 9469 3192
Melbourne, Australia

or

AU$120 plus postage
Got anything to fit the DRZ250 / 400?
Gobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #168
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM

Screens For Bikes
Peter - 03 9469 3192
Melbourne, Australia

or

AU$120 plus postage
Do they flop in the wind? I took off my Cee Bailey, got sick of the flexing. It mounted directly to the head light plastic. How does it mount??

sagedrifter screwed with this post 08-19-2009 at 04:42 PM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #169
tiogajoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I just got a "screens for bikes" for my DR. Took about 10 day from Aus. I was $93 us. Pete answered all my e-mails and was great to deal with. I have not had the chance to got my bike out on the slab since mounting but it seems to work just fine tooling around 40mph or so. Quality built with nice hardware. You have about 2" in adjustment (up/down) when you go to mount it on the number shield.
04' 400EX (son#1)
05' 400EX (son#2)
tiogajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #170
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,598
I too am interested in hearing how this performs on the DR
I have no issues putting up with wind/rain/bugs up to about 50mph, but above that speed, and sitting rather tall in the saddle as I do, the environmentals wear me down. I don't have the 'energry reserve' that I do riding the weestrom, on which, with the Madstad solution + givi shield, I can beat the elementals.

in asking these questions over and over and over, it seems we got any number of 'solutions' that work well as long as you're not very tall, or you tuck, or the answer is "its good up to about 50...."

The closest I have personally come to "solved" was the first thing I ever tried: a Parabellum shield for the DR. I sold it off because, even though it was a good tradeoff for inclement weather, it was a buffeting monster at any speed, from 10mph up. I say 'good tradeoff', cause if its 33 degrees and rainy and blustery, and you need to be clicking off the distance at 70mph - well, something has to be traded. I'd put up with the buffeting to get some relief from the other. But in any milder conditions, the constant buffeting was just more than I could bear.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #171
tiogajoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
....I think we have to ask ourselves "what can you expect from any windscreen on a dualsport bike?" I ride a gl1800 as my main squeeze, and you could smoke a cigar at speeds approching triple didgits. I don't think you'll ever find windscreen nervana on the Dr or any thumper for that matter. If your keeping the wind blast off your chest and your eyeballs rattlin' around in your head to a minimum.... I think your way ahead of the game. Just my 2 cent
04' 400EX (son#1)
05' 400EX (son#2)
tiogajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #172
DRDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiogajoe
....I think we have to ask ourselves "what can you expect from any windscreen on a dualsport bike?"
I think that's a great point.
I have a DR I use everyday to commute through city traffic on. Right now the temps are below 20, so the windscreen provides a nice buffer. I'm not sure how much more I could really expect. At some point we start taking away from the dual sport aspect of these bikes. I dig some of the screens on here, but at the end of the day I just don't see myself spending big bucks on them. Did I mention I used to ride a '76 KZ900 Z1? Sure I ripped my arms out of the sockets a few times but I felt ALIVE!

DRDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #173
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
MRA Roadshield.

I just installed it on my '06 DR650. No pics yet.
Looks cool, minimalistic.
But, what's up with the helmet buffet?? I did a search in several threads, and the only thing I found was folks saying they "lowered" the screen to eliminate the buffet. Well, my screen is as low as it can go, but the angle of the screen is somewhat high (roughly 75 degress).

Before I go loosening those bolts again, can anyone provide some guidance on this? By "lowering" are they referring to the angle rather than the actual height of the screen? I sure hope I didn't just throw $150 into the wind
Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #174
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 96
Lotsa screens here also:
http://www.bikescreen.com/categories.asp
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #175
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson
MRA Roadshield.

I just installed it on my '06 DR650. No pics yet.
Looks cool, minimalistic.
But, what's up with the helmet buffet?? I did a search in several threads, and the only thing I found was folks saying they "lowered" the screen to eliminate the buffet. Well, my screen is as low as it can go, but the angle of the screen is somewhat high (roughly 75 degress).

Before I go loosening those bolts again, can anyone provide some guidance on this? By "lowering" are they referring to the angle rather than the actual height of the screen? I sure hope I didn't just throw $150 into the wind
PICS PICS PICS!!!!!!

I feel your pain with the whole buffeting thing. It sucks! When I first bought my shield I played with the size, shape and angle for quite some time before I found an angle that worked to keep the bad air away.
Then it got broken when the bike fell off the stand in the garage.... Now I'm back to square one.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #176
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
This is the windscreen I used to have on my bike:

It was very easy to install, but in the end, I honestly liked riding the bike naked, no screen at all, so I removed it. I haven't tried any others since.
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #177
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Hello all

Last winter I did some cosmetic work to my dr350 including making a mini screen for it. At the time my thinking was slap something together, ride it and see how it works, from there make adjustments. Basically a piece of lexan from home depot that was cut with a hacksaw and shaped using a wooden mold in my kitchen oven. I spent last season "test riding" it. It did what I wanted it to do, take the buffing off my chest at highway speeds. It did increase the airflow over my head but oddly enough no extra neck fatigue. The plan for later this winter is to make a new one, a little taller with more attention to detail. At 15$ for a sheet of lexan I have no money invested and a cool project to work on over the winter months.

For more pics click on link below, about 1/2 way down the page.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=313466&page=4

John
Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #178
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
PICS PICS PICS!!!!!!

I feel your pain with the whole buffeting thing. It sucks.....
Guess I'll play with the "angle of attack." It didn't seem nearly as bad today. We had 15-20mph+ winds when I rode with it for the first time.

I wasn't looking for miracles, but I'm not exactly jazzed by the experience so far. I'll post pics and report back if I find the sweet spot for this windscreen.
Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #179
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,598
this subject can be so frustrating...
the best performance I've been able to come up with so far is a screen [in this case an oldstyle FZ1 screen] mounted BEHIND the stock fairing/headlight. I could get the wind pretty smooth, and off my torso. the downside is its just too close to you for tucking unless you're vertically challenged. Also I never found way to get it stabilized without resorting to drilling four or five holes. there's gotta be a better way.
every other rig I tried is just a buffeting machine.
I'm tempted to go back to where I started, with a midsize parabellum rig, and just work harder at angle etc... At least I was able to tuck in behind in event of foul weather. Otherwise, I was always wishing it weren't there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson
Guess I'll play with the "angle of attack." It didn't seem nearly as bad today. We had 15-20mph+ winds when I rode with it for the first time.

I wasn't looking for miracles, but I'm not exactly jazzed by the experience so far. I'll post pics and report back if I find the sweet spot for this windscreen.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #180
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter
Do they flop in the wind? I toof off my Cee Bailey, got sick of the flexing. It mounted directly to the head light plastic. How does it mount??
Mine is fine....quite solid.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote