Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #181
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoco
This is the windscreen I used to have on my bike:

It was very easy to install, but in the end, I honestly liked riding the bike naked, no screen at all, so I removed it. I haven't tried any others since.
I have the same Slipstream Spitfire mounted on my bike in the same location and configuration as above. It works reasonably well to remove the chest pressure and arm fatigue at freeway speeds.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #182
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
MRA Roadshield

Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #183
kawierider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson
MRA Roadshield.

I just installed it on my '06 DR650. No pics yet.
Looks cool, minimalistic.
But, what's up with the helmet buffet?? I did a search in several threads, and the only thing I found was folks saying they "lowered" the screen to eliminate the buffet. Well, my screen is as low as it can go, but the angle of the screen is somewhat high (roughly 75 degress).

Before I go loosening those bolts again, can anyone provide some guidance on this? By "lowering" are they referring to the angle rather than the actual height of the screen? I sure hope I didn't just throw $150 into the wind

I put the same MRA Roadshield on my DR last fall so I know exactly what you are saying.

The position you have it in (based on your pictures) is very upright and that is how I had it when I first installed it. That position gives the best wind protection, but you start to get some helmet turbulence over 50mph. Its not bad turbulence its just a very irritating rumbling that will drive you nuts after 10 minutes.

So I angled the shield back to match the angle on the front headlight plastic and all of the turbulence went away.

But its not all great, because now I don’t have as much wind protection and I get a concentrated blast of air in my upper chest (not fun when the temps are in the 40‘s).

So this is a learning experience for me too. In the spring I am going to try some ear plugs and then get the larger MRA shield and install it on my existing mounts.

The one thing that I have learned so far is that having adjustments to raise and lower as well as tilt the shield is the only way to get it right. Now I know why all the Vstrom guys love the Madstad bracket.
kawierider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #184
Watson
Studly Adventurer

...funny thing...before I played with screen angle, I had a thought. I'd been riding around with a modular helmet (HJC CL-MAX DOT). I switched to my full face (HJC MC-3 SNELL and DOT) and my head is mostly no longer affected by the buffeting. Sounds shady, I know, but just reporting the facts.

I was gonna toss the modular anyway...but that's another story...
Old 01-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #185
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Hey Watson,

What's that box 082.4 on it? is that a temp guage or a tach? if so, who makes it? I am looking for both for my XRL.

Thanks,

Cumbacheech

Quote:

Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #186
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech
Hey Watson,

What's that box 082.4 on it? is that a temp guage or a tach? if so, who makes it? I am looking for both for my XRL.

Thanks,

Cumbacheech
It's a digital tach & hour meter by Honda. It displays hours when the engine isn't running....no, the hours won't match the miles if you try to do the math -- it was installed by the PO well after the bike was purchased.

I forgot to ask about the details when I bought the bike, being pumped about my new choice of rides, and trying not to look excited. I did a little diggin around, and here it is:

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p..._Chapter_5.pdf

Old 01-26-2009, 05:07 AM   #187
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Thanks Watson!! I will do some more research.

Cumbacheech

Quote:
It's a digital tach & hour meter by Honda. It displays hours when the engine isn't running....no, the hours won't match the miles if you try to do the math -- it was installed by the PO well after the bike was purchased.

I forgot to ask about the details when I bought the bike, being pumped about my new choice of rides, and trying not to look excited. I did a little diggin around, and here it is:

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p..._Chapter_5.pdf

Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #188
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Question possibility?

I'm checking the bolt spacing on this one....

http://www.ceebaileys.com/ktm/ktm_lc4_ws.html

What I like about it is the curve - instead of slanting back toward you, they contour it at a pretty steep rake, so you could still get a bit of a tuck in a sleetstorm...

Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #189
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
I am looking at one of these but want to be able to take it off when I get to a trail head. It looks like all you have to do is remove the rubber end caps, loosen the two chrome hex bolts, and the rods slide out leaving the mounting hardware in place. Is that true?
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #190
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk
I am looking at one of these but want to be able to take it off when I get to a trail head. It looks like all you have to do is remove the rubber end caps, loosen the two chrome hex bolts, and the rods slide out leaving the mounting hardware in place. Is that true?
That is correct. There are dust caps for those hex bolts, but I hadn't put 'em on at the time I took those photos 'cause I was still adjusting. Those bolts hold it all together, so naturally, I have to re-tighten after pullin' the rods out.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #191
stoney4vida
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR
bmw gs650 dakar shield, fits the lines of the 400 great. I bet the 650 shroud is the same mold.

I like, I want !
stoney4vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #192
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
National Cycle windshiled - my first ride out today after a 4 month winter hiatus. Nice to be back in the saddle.

BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #193
Pumpkinhead
Professional Azzhole

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast
National Cycle windshiled - my first ride out today after a 4 month winter hiatus. Nice to be back in the saddle.

So I guess that thing on your kickstand is for more stability on soft ground?

Dave
Pumpkinhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #194
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,879
Yes, please provide details on that kickstand accessory foot. It looks like just the ticket for the hilly and wet terrain in this area.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #195
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreel
Yes, please provide details on that kickstand accessory foot. It looks like just the ticket for the hilly and wet terrain in this area.
Check in the vendors section, I believe a member was selling them there for several different models.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote