Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #196
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,813
I just went through all six pages on the vendors section and did not find anything on point. One member was selling the KTM Fat Foot, but some Googling revealed that this is a different product than that used by BlackBeast. I will send him a PM and report back.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #197
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,375
Thumb Twin ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Check in the vendors section, I believe a member was selling them there for several different models.
Looks like a "Twin Headlight Ernie" Design ...

GsVs screwed with this post 02-16-2009 at 04:40 PM
GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #198
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Thanks MillCreel for the PM. Sorry for not checking this thread sooner.
Yes, it is a Twin Headlight Ernie product. Good quality, just need to drill a hole on the base of your kickstand. Works on both the regular & shorter kickstand as I have them on both our bikes.

http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.co...73939212_EyjYz
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #199
Faulpelz
Offroader

Oddometer: 74
If you need a windshield for the DRZ...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...86#post9361586
Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #200
jonague
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Madstad bracket for the DR650

I had a 650 VStrom before the DR and one of the best mods I did to it was the addition of a Madstad bracket (www.madstad. com) for the windshield. This thing gives you easy and generous adjustment of tilt and height and works for any windshield that fits the Strom (and there are several good ones). It would be awesome on the DR, way better than the choices we currently have for this bike. But it would require fabrication of some sort of mounting point (a plane roughly in the place of the current numberplate) similar to the one on the fairing of the Strom.

I talked to the guy who designed them and something for dualsports or the DR is way down on his list. Does anyone have any clever ideas for how the Strom bracket could be adapted? Anyone have fabricating skills that would do it for a fee?

Jon H
jonague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #201
OldFenderGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
And Speaking Of Windshields For The DR650.....

I'm more than happy with the MRA SpeedScreen (SPS) that I installed on my 2004 DR650...

It's 12.3" high, 15.75" wide and does an excellent job of keeping the wind blast off my chest and face. (I'm a little over 6' tall so it would probably work as well or better on someone that is shorter).

It has a very sturdy bar mount, and can be adjusted for air flow deflection. I've 'fine tuned' mine and currently have it set where the bottom on the windshield is approximately 3/4" above the headlight cover.

At this setting the main airflow hits me right at the top of my head, with very little wind hitting me on my chest or face. Also does a great job of 'shooting' the bugs over your head instead of having them splatter all over your chest, face, or glasses...

The mounting system is rock solid, and I've had the bike over 80 MPH with the same excellent results...

Just my opinion, but the MRA shield makes a world of difference when it comes to higher speed cruising comfort when out on the road.

OldFenderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #202
jonague
n00b

I currently have an MRA Highwayshield on it, which is taller than yours but not as artfully shaped. Maybe the shape of yours does the trick, but I am 6 ft and have not been able to get enough wind blast off my face. I like to ride with my visor open without being deafened by the noise.

The thing that was so great about the Madstad is that you could easily adjust it for the weather or your mood. Common example -- cold on the way to work? Raise it up for full face protection. Hot on the way home? Lower it and tip it back and it feels almost like no windshield at all. With the virtual pivit point it gives you you could really fine tune it to minimize buffeting. It doesn't sound all that amazing but in practice it just works really well.

Jon H
Old 05-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #203
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
Old 05-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #204
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

DR with MadStad

Hey Jon ...

As I posted on the Yahoo DR650 group ----
Well ..... I've been thinking that same thing since I first got my DR650 last spring .... I have a V-Strom also so I know the benefits of the MadStad brackets.

I finally got a MadStad mounted up to my DR . ... going for a few more test rides this weekend, I will let you know how it works ! (Actually it works great - I just want to try it at higher speeds and with a few more aftermarket V-Strom windscreens that I bought [and still have] before the MadStad came out )

Thanks .. Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonague
I had a 650 VStrom before the DR and one of the best mods I did to it was the addition of a Madstad bracket (www.madstad. com) for the windshield. This thing gives you easy and generous adjustment of tilt and height and works for any windshield that fits the Strom (and there are several good ones). It would be awesome on the DR, way better than the choices we currently have for this bike. But it would require fabrication of some sort of mounting point (a plane roughly in the place of the current numberplate) similar to the one on the fairing of the Strom.

I talked to the guy who designed them and something for dualsports or the DR is way down on his list. Does anyone have any clever ideas for how the Strom bracket could be adapted? Anyone have fabricating skills that would do it for a fee?

Jon H

GsVs screwed with this post 05-22-2009 at 09:26 AM
Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #205
jonague
n00b

Arrgh! You are such a tease! From that picture I cannot tell how you did it!

I am thinking of a using the upper triple clamp bolts and the headlight mount bolts to attach support arms for the mounting plate. I have a non-stock headlight (Aztec8 7 inch) so do not have the number plate plastic thing to deal with.

Jon H
Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #206
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM
What, nobody posted the 'Screens for bikes' screen yet ?

Screens For Bikes
Peter - 03 9469 3192
Melbourne, Australia

screensforbikes@optusnet.com.au
or
screensforbikes@gmail.com

AU$120 plus postage
I ordered my screen up today. A good price and I really like the way it looks on the bike. Hopefully it works too. That would be a bonus!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #207
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Pics

I will take some more pictures and post this weekend ... but basically I used the TurboCity Windscreen brackets

http://www.turbocity.com/product_inf...roducts_id=718

and mounted a flat plate across them.

Not having the number plate should make it easier to make your own support arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonague
Arrgh! You are such a tease! From that picture I cannot tell how you did it!

I am thinking of a using the upper triple clamp bolts and the headlight mount bolts to attach support arms for the mounting plate. I have a non-stock headlight (Aztec8 7 inch) so do not have the number plate plastic thing to deal with.

Jon H

GsVs screwed with this post 05-26-2009 at 09:23 AM
Old 05-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #208
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Details

andmoon,

I sent you a pm asking for info on your shield.

Larry,

I knew you would figure out the ultimate. Please tell us more when you can.

Sarah
Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #209
jonague
n00b

Ahhh...clever. You're right though, I think I'll be able to fab my own more easily without the numberplate in the way, and have it closer to the rider too.

Jon H
Old 05-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #210
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
Sarah,

My screen is a 12x24 piece of lexan I formed over the stove. I have a little gap between it and the number plate to relieve some of the vac. pressure behind the screen. I painted the inside white as Lexan is super strong but scratches easily. My last one on a r1100gs was wider and taller, came ~ 2 inches below my eye line and left me in a quiet bubble. I think the same could be done to the dr if you are really a form follows function type person (it is really ugly! )