User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 04:53 AM   #211
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,700
Thanks andmoon,

Somewhere on here is a pic of my screen that's fashioned out of a dustpan, now that's ugly! I like the way it works, but the appearance is something else. I'm always on the look out for new ideas. Thanks again.

Sarah
Old 05-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #212
greer
Beastly Adventurer

D-Fuzz,

Please get back to us once you get the Screens for Bikes. Are you in Australia? I'm wondering how easy it is to order from the US. Thanks

Sarah
Old 05-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #213
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer
D-Fuzz,

Please get back to us once you get the Screens for Bikes. Are you in Australia? I'm wondering how easy it is to order from the US. Thanks

Sarah
I just picked up a used DR that is stock and am beginning to look at the various modification options, including screens. After seeing a photo of this screen, I emailed Peter at Screens For Bikes last night. He responded almost immediately with two emails: one containing the dimensions and price and another with approximately a dozen photos of the screen. This leads me to believe he would be very easy to work with. The screen is, to me, one of the better looking options. However, I am more concerned about function than looks, so I would also love to hear from an owner or two.

Shep

Shep screwed with this post 05-23-2009 at 10:03 AM
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #214
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
Sarah,

Here is my 'funny' seat cover.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...heaper+walmart
Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #215
greer
Beastly Adventurer

You Win

Thanks andmoon,

All of a sudden my dustpan doesn't look so bad....

Sarah
Old 05-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #216
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Thanks andmoon,

All of a sudden my dustpan doesn't look so bad....

Sarah
I have more....My home made seat for the dr is more comfy than a carbin I tried. The pics are of version 2. Version 3/final was made using seat foam from the DR and a ZRX, dished it and made it wider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=447496&page=3
Old 05-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #217
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb DR650 MadStad Turbo Windscreen mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonague
I had a 650 VStrom before the DR and one of the best mods I did to it was the addition of a Madstad bracket (www.madstad. com) for the windshield. This thing gives you easy and generous adjustment of tilt and height and works for any windshield that fits the Strom (and there are several good ones). It would be awesome on the DR, way better than the choices we currently have for this bike. But it would require fabrication of some sort of mounting point (a plane roughly in the place of the current numberplate) similar to the one on the fairing of the Strom.

I talked to the guy who designed them and something for dualsports or the DR is way down on his list. Does anyone have any clever ideas for how the Strom bracket could be adapted? Anyone have fabricating skills that would do it for a fee?
Jon's comments back to OldFenderGuy about OldFenderGuy's MRA SpeedScreen ib post #201
I currently have an MRA Highwayshield on it, which is taller than yours but not as artfully shaped. Maybe the shape of yours does the trick, but I am 6 ft and have not been able to get enough wind blast off my face. I like to ride with my visor open without being deafened by the noise.

The thing that was so great about the Madstad is that you could easily adjust it for the weather or your mood. Common example -- cold on the way to work? Raise it up for full face protection. Hot on the way home? Lower it and tip it back and it feels almost like no windshield at all. With the virtual pivit point it gives you you could really fine tune it to minimize buffeting. It doesn't sound all that amazing but in practice it just works really well.

Jon H
I've been thinking that same thing since I first got my DR650 last spring ....

I have a V-Strom also so I know the benefits of the MadStad brackets, I also have a handful of V-Strom windscreens that I bought before the MadStad brackets came available.

So – I had the pieces … these needed to borrow them from my V-Strom and get them mounted to the DR.

- - - -

Please keep in mind I’m not a Mech. Eng. ….. and heck I haven’t stayed in a Holiday Inn in years !! This is a prototype I came up with just to get it mounted up and see if the air-flow worked – my plans are to clean-up the design once I get the test rides and adjustments figured out.

The MadStad brackets are designed to fit on the V-Storms fairings which have wedge areas built in which the MadStad brackets need for their 25 degree of tilt angle and 3” of height movement.

- - - - -
- - - - -
I used a set of Turbo City DR650 windscreen brackets.

http://www.turbocity.com/product_inf...roducts_id=718

- - - - - -
- - - - - -
--- Once I got the plate mounted across the Turbo City windscreen brackets on the DR I measured a 24 degree difference between the V-Strom and this plate on the DR. (the DR laying back at a 24 degree sharper angle)
So I cut some 20 degree wedges out of a plastic Baluster post I bought at Lowes.

I wasn’t sure where vertically these would work best to mount on the plate so I gave myself multiple positions (the extra holes in the plate above)

Over the weekend I mounted up five different V-Strom windscreens and took some test rides.
The stock OEM V-Strom Windscreen
- - - - - - -

- - - - -

- - - - -

- - - - -
- - - - -
The MRA VarioTouringScreen …
- - - - - -

- - - - -

- - - - - -

- - - - - -
- - - - - -
A custom MRA shortened VarioTouringScreen …
- - - - - -

- - - - -

- - - - - -

- - - - - -
- - - - - -
The Puig V-Strom Windscreen …
- - - - - -

- - - - -

- - - -

- - - - -
- - - - -

The Givi V-Strom Windscreen …
- - - - -

- - - -

- - - -

- - - - -
- - - - -
Test run stats – I’m 5’11 with 32” inseam on a standard height Corbin seat … the wind was light … maybe 5 to 10 mph, also the traffic was light.

All my test runs were with the MadStad brackets mounted to the plate in the position shown in the pictures at the top of this post … seemed to be right for my height .. but they can be moved up and down for additional fitting options.

Did they give that Gold Wing quiet, still bubble – I don’t know as I have never ridden one, but I’m sure it didn’t ……. but I like “a little” wind in my face – just smooth air … and with all the windscreens above I was able to ride to 65 - 70 mph before the faceshield on my helmet would start to close … and with the MRA VarioTouringScreen and Givi Windscreen it was close to 80 mph before the faceshield on my helmet would start to close pretty much buffet free through the whole range of speeds.

The MRA VarioTouringScreen in my opinion is the best both in looks (the shape fits the bike well and the tinting helps to hide the brackets) and performance … the size fits the DR well. With all the adjustment the MadStad brackets give and the adjustable 7-position adjustable spoiler at the top of the MRA I would think this one would work for almost everybody.
The Givi and Puig are larger and would be good early spring & late fall cold weather riding screens as they block more air.

I was surprised at the performance of the custom MRA shortened VarioTouringScreen …. As small as it is – it still worked.

The gap between the windscreen and the headlight cowling (fairing on the V-Strom) is what makes it work …. But with my design it is probably just a tad too much for looks. Also the gap is a tad too much then it needs to be for the Air-flow to work so it lets in a bit of air, acceptable to me. … I have a couple of things I’m going to try and close this gap down a bit and still have all the adjustment which should make it look and work even better.

It’s not a cheap alternative but it’s unmatched in its versatility both in ease and range of adjustment (approx. 10 seconds) and the selection of windscreens available that can be switched out in less than 5 minutes.

Go back up to the top of this post and re-read Jon's comments ...Like Jon mentioned the DR and other dual sport bikes are way down on MadStad’s list. My design is crude – but I’m sure MadStad could come up with something clean.

I encourage you all to go to www.madstad.com click on the Contact Us button near the top and either email or phone him and let him know that there is a market out there for an adjustable DR (and other Dual-Sports) windscreen. …

GsVs - Larry

GsVs screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 11:33 AM
GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #218
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
Here is my version of a screen.

Mine is in front and the creens for bikes one is on the DR behind.

I added up the cost of about $130 versus $0 and $0 won even though it looks crap.

It doesn't get in the way off road either.

You have to get to 5:13 to see it in action the best

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #219
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Hey Lewy, what are the side racks on the DR all the way in the back? Looks like the Ventura seat rack,right?
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #220
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
Hey Lewy, what are the side racks on the DR all the way in the back? Looks like the Ventura seat rack,right?
They look like Dirt Bagz racks to me, or could be home made as well.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #221
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
D-Fuzz,

Sarah
I am in Canada. I contacted Peter by email, and as stated elsewhere, he replied very quickly, including several photos of th screen mounted on various DRs. The cost was very reasonable given the other alternatives I have seen and Peter was very easy to deal with. I sent him the funds via PayPal and he had it sent out within a day or so. I expect it to arrive shortly and once I have it on, I will give my impression of how it works.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #222
Coyote X
Lazy Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Here is how I modified the turbocity windshield bracket.

With the single bolt on each side, the screen is still held in place fine and does not move. But it lets you adjust it so that it should be able to fit pretty much anyone. The last two pictures show the range of adjustment that is available like this.

I still was not able to eliminate the helmet buffeting after this. I modified the mounting ears so that I can now adjust the height of the screen up and down about 2 inches. I cut the stock mounting tabs off and ground the bar smooth. Then I just cut out four strips of metal and wrapped them around the bracket and put a hole in them. The pictures will make it clear.

These last two pictures show the maximum height that it can be adjusted to. It can also go a significant amount lower than stock. It can actually go low enough to get in front of the headlight. Just loosen the screws and raise or lower it then tighten them back. The windshield is now totally adjustable for everything except distance from the headlight fairing but I really don’t see how that would change the airflow enough to care about.

As a final adjustment I drilled a series of holes in the shield so I have an even wider range of adjustments. I am 6'4 and need something a bit taller to get the buffeting off my helmet.

click on any of the pictures to see them in full size :) I just drilled the extra holes in it tonight so I will find out how good it works in the next day or so.
Aracoma #99 AF&AM

2007 DR650SE - Dirtbagz,Custom Seat, Highway pegs, DIY Cruise Control, Gel Grips, Pelican Top case, Scottoiler.
Coyote X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #223
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
They look like Dirt Bagz racks to me, or could be home made as well.
They are homemade one off Stainless racks that mount to the ventura rack.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #224
Coyote X
Lazy Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Took my bike out today and tried out the modified shield. With it the way it was in the pictures there is a small amount of rumble from the very top of my helmet. I moved the top mounts down one hole and raised the shield up about another half inch. It is a totally different bike. There is no wind and I can leave my visor open with no sunglasses on at 55mph with almost no turbulence or wind of any sort in my face. Almost as smooth as a goldwing.

I need to add an extra bracket since the mounts are so low on the shield it shakes a bit when a car passes me. Either that or I will just extend the stock brackets up a bit higher. Not sure what to do either way, but I have finally got a good setup. It only took me a year of messing with it. The shield ended up being mounted just above the headlight fairing so it is a bit strange looking but it works so...

Aracoma #99 AF&AM

2007 DR650SE - Dirtbagz,Custom Seat, Highway pegs, DIY Cruise Control, Gel Grips, Pelican Top case, Scottoiler.
Coyote X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #225
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy
They are homemade one off Stainless racks that mount to the ventura rack.

Lewy,

I think he meant all the way in the back on the right, behind the KTM. You can only see the tail. Pretty sure that's a DR with the dirtbags racks and a FMF-Q2?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote