User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #241
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Screens for Bikes - my thoughts

I have had my bike out for a few rides since installing the Screens for Bikes windshield. I no longer feel the blast of air on my chest, as I did when I had nothing, but I feel some turbulence around my neck and at the bottom of my helmet. I also notice that the front of the bike feels rather unstable when exceeding about 90km/h (50mph). Needless to say, it isn't a pleasant feeling. Any suggestions on how to adjust the screen to make improvements. Would lowering it get the turbulence more at my shoulders and keep my head in the clear air?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #242
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fuzz
I have had my bike out for a few rides since installing the Screens for Bikes windshield. I no longer feel the blast of air on my chest, as I did when I had nothing, but I feel some turbulence around my neck and at the bottom of my helmet. I also notice that the front of the bike feels rather unstable when exceeding about 90km/h (50mph). Needless to say, it isn't a pleasant feeling. Any suggestions on how to adjust the screen to make improvements. Would lowering it get the turbulence more at my shoulders and keep my head in the clear air?

I hate to hear that...I just ordered one last week. Mine has not shipped yet, but will post my impressions when it arrives.

Shep
Old 06-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #243
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
D-Fuzz,

Can you tinker with it to raise it up, down, back and forth at an angle? Did you bolt it on or are you using the super velcro stuff? Little changes can make such a big difference sometimes.

Sarah
Old 06-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #244
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

I am going to try putting a rubber spacer at the bottom to change the angle of the screen (create a bit more slope) and see how that works. The more I think about it, the instability might be due to a change in the angle of my handguards. I rotated my lever slightly downward so they would be better when standing, but they might be creating a bit of lift now. I will try putting then back before I change the screen too much.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #245
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I'm more than happy with the MRA SpeedScreen (SPS) that I installed on my 2004 DR650...

It's 12.3" high, 15.75" wide and does an excellent job of keeping the wind blast off my chest and face. (I'm a little over 6' tall so it would probably work as well or better on someone that is shorter).

It has a very sturdy bar mount, and can be adjusted for air flow deflection. I've 'fine tuned' mine and currently have it set where the bottom on the windshield is approximately 3/4" above the headlight cover.

At this setting the main airflow hits me right at the top of my head, with very little wind hitting me on my chest or face. Also does a great job of 'shooting' the bugs over your head instead of having them splatter all over your chest, face, or glasses...

The mounting system is rock solid, and I've had the bike over 80 MPH with the same excellent results...

Just my opinion, but the MRA shield makes a world of difference when it comes to higher speed cruising comfort when out on the road.

Thanks to having saved your earlier posting of this MRA windshield in my "DR Files", I decided today to order an instock clear MRA Vario Touring Screen Style VTNB from Twistedthrottle with optional mounting brkt kit.
It's the identical screen to yours, but with MRA's adj. airfoil already installed.

Having just put my new to me DR650K7 on the road after much maintenance and mods being addressed, still need to install Intiminators and repack the steering head bearings, I was thrilled with the pleasure of riding this bike. EXCEPT understandably on the highway, I'm not young anymore but it was unbearable.

I run a +4" MRA on my DL1000K4 and when I reviewed your postings on your MRA mounted DR650, I decided to order the same model with the airfoil, otherwise almost any highway travel would have been out of the question and that severely limits the versatility and pleasure this bike will provide me. At only 5'9" this shield should make my first years DR650 riding season, much more of a pleasure.

OldFenderGuy, thanks for taking the time to post your impressions and photos of the MRA Speedscreen Style SPS, it was invaluable in making my decision on ordering the VTNB variation of it.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:12 AM   #246
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Please post some pics and give us a run-down when you can. Thanks

Sarah
Old 06-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #247
alma1992
Jaded AND Cynical!

Oddometer: 200
Here's to hoping.

I'm bidding on a windscreen from an 03 Dakar 650 on eBay. Just curious, but how much were these things new? I don't like getting ripped off! Thanks.

"There will always be kings, no matter what they are called"
alma1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #248
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by alma1992
I'm bidding on a windscreen from an 03 Dakar 650 on eBay. Just curious, but how much were these things new? I don't like getting ripped off! Thanks.
Very expensive new. In Europe more than $200 and even used ones go for $100+.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #249
alma1992
Jaded AND Cynical!

Oddometer: 200
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Very expensive new. In Europe more than $200 and even used ones go for $100+.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. My plan is to pay about half of a Cee Baileys. We'll see if it works out. I'd really enjoy some wind, bug, mud etc protection.

"There will always be kings, no matter what they are called"
alma1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #250
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
What kind of mirrors are those?

The little round ones mounted on the handlebars? Work well? Who makes 'em.. NICE look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
+1 for the Dakar shield:

Bike that inspired me to try the Dakar screen^^^

My Te-610...with the Dakar ^^^

The protection is great and at the angle I have it mounted I get very little buffetting if any. The wind hits me right at the top of the helmet so there is also little pressure on the Head reducing neck strain...Dakar Shield is a great option for any dualsport IMHO...

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:48 AM   #251
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Dual Star. Good look ordering them, their customer service is the worst in the business.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Conv...le_mirror4.htm

You could also try these on Ebay, if you remove the bar end part they will fit on the inside of your grips as well. I've got a set on order, they accept a "best offer" of $13:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270407238684

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #252
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

I changed the positioning of my screen over the weekend with little effect. I put a spacer at the bottom to give the screen more slope, but looking at those Husky photos makes me think I should change it so it is more upright. Can someone give me some aerodynamics advice?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #253
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I am slowly getting the screen positioned properly. I put in some spacers to position the screen more upright and it seems to have improved the turbulence quite a bit. I rode to work today into about a 30km/h headwind at a speed of about 95km/h and it wasn't too terribly bad. I might try it a bit more upright yet to see if it gets any better.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #254
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester
Having made my own xchallenge screen, and sold a few more to other inmates, I thought I might try a few for other bikes as well. I knocked up a prototype for my mates drz400 yesterday and he is going to try it out for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have spoken to my mate and he reported that the screen is working well on his drz. He has used it off road with no problems and said the screen does a good job of cutting out wind blast at speed. It looks like I would be able to make the screen in either white or silver / grey as well as the charcoal colour I am currently making the GX screens with. I will try to get a pic of his screen over the next few days and post it up.

Iain

The Jester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #255
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 503
Received my Screens for Bikes today and put it on this evening. I only had time for about a 15 mile ride, so only some brief, preliminary thoughts:

I rode about 5 miles of highway, ranging in speed from 60 to a high of 80 (indicated, not actual). Felt good all the way. I experienced no unpleasant turbulence. In fact, I felt like there was a positive increase in comfort. I mounted the shield reasonably low. I could probably go about an inch lower at the most and about an inch to two inches higher. I think it is about right for me (I'm short...5'5"). I am expecting a Sargent seat sometime next week...can't wait.

While the bike looks fine blue, I am going black with it in a few weeks...black IMS tank and all plastic.

Shep