User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 03:31 AM   #256
dylandr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Wicked Word on GS 650 dakar screen

With a bit of help from a dremel grinder it looks like it was made for the bike! Also built a (ralley type) tray to mount my (soon to be designed) GPS mount and possibly a Digital rev counter and digital clock. Any Ideas on which ones to use? I cannot seem to find Vapor tech instruments in South Africa! Click on the link to see the outcome: http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/...ylandr_photos/
dylandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #257
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,085
Photos originally posted by: OldFenderGuy of his MRA SpeedScreen (SPS)

I've only just finished mounting and tweaking the adjustments of the above pictured MRA windshield, except mine's equipped with MRA's adjustable "airfoil" and referred to as a Vario Touring Screen type VTNB, purchased from Twistedthrottle.

At 5'9" running oem handlebars fitted with Touratech's 30mm risers, I've ended up with the lower edges of the windshield barely touching the top of the DR's headlight shroud and the airfoil adjusted fully upright.

Fitted as such, for my height I'm extremely pleased, only getting the wind flow just touching the top of my Shoei RF900 full face. Indicated cruising speeds from 110 to 130 kilometers/hr (68 to 80 mph) and a couple of high speed runups to ensure it remained stable ( it was just fine ). What a relief without the wind blast on the upper body, a totally relaxed grip on the bars and a lot more versatile DR650 for myself...

I hadn't expected a rather small windshield like this, to very nearly direct the windflow over the top of my helmet, but for riders under 5'9" adjusting it as tall as possible like myself, I'm sure you'd be delighted in it's function. The quality of build of the windshield and the optional mounting brackets is typical of the German MRA product, that is to say excellent.

Taller riders hoping to divert the airflow over their helmets, I would suggest exploring the full MRA lineup, as there's numerous models to examine for dimensions...

I'm too much of a dinosaur to post pics, thanks to OldFenderGuy for drawing my attention to this windshield (minus the airfoil) in the first place.

996DL

996DL screwed with this post 06-26-2009 at 12:29 PM
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #258
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,000
Buell Ulysses

Here's another option. I used my cast-off Buell Ulysses windscreen bolted on the stock flyscreen with ~1cm spacers. It has a severe rake and just keeps the wind off my chest. I used it on a 900 mile weekend (Ontario Rally Raid - ) and was very happy with the results.

As you can see in the picture, it also protects my GPS from stray stones and such. You may also notice that those aren't stock DR mirrors..they came from my Uly too when hers were replaced with those from an Aprillia Tuono. Since some DR owners also replace the turn signals and headlights, with Uly parts, I suppose a real hybrid is possible

I used the mirrors and wind screen because they were availible, but they both work great and since Buell parts are reasonably priced (windshield ~$85) they could be an option....also cast-offs from Buell owners may be an option.

ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #259
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358

Here's another version. I like this pretty good, just enough extra without too much. Got it from one of the big mail order companies, just can't remember which. Just drilled and bolted on.
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #260
junkmanjoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Hi all a couple pics of my screen set up.
its off a vtr 250 cc road bike.
fits quite good.

thanks
JMJ
junkmanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:14 AM   #261
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,394
Thumb RoboBrackets

Hey ...
Back on post #217 of this thread ...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=217

I posted the "DR650 MadStad Turbo Windscreen mount " .... was great for adjustabillity ...

Since then ... MadStad has come out with "RoboBrackets" ... below's a "Prototype" ....

Animated GIF showing the range of adjustment on my DR350....

For those who do some serious slab or commuting miles ... If you could use something like this ... I encourage you all to go to www.madstad.com click on the Contact Us button near the top and either email or phone him and let him know that there is a market out there for an adjustable "Dual-Sports" windscreen. …
Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #262
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs
Hey ...
Back on post #217 of this thread ...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=217

I posted the "DR650 MadStad Turbo Windscreen mount " .... was great for adjustabillity ...

Since then ... MadStad has come out with "RoboBrackets" ... below's a "Prototype" ....

Animated GIF showing the range of adjustment on my DR350....

For those who do some serious slab or commuting miles ... If you could use something like this ... I encourage you all to go to www.madstad.com click on the Contact Us button near the top and either email or phone him and let him know that there is a market out there for an adjustable "Dual-Sports" windscreen. …
I rec'd an email from Mark at Madstad regarding a setup for the DR650. I've omitted information which I think would be proprietary in nature and if by chance Mark is lurking and or if I am violating any copyright / privacy issues I will delete this post upon request.

Excerpt below:

------------------------------------------

The MadStad RoboBrackets can be attached to almost anything, but I don't think the plastic on the DR650 is sturdy enough to support the weight of brackets plus a windshield, then on top of that the shaking/vibration off-road and wind pressure on-road. I've felt the DR650 plastic and it isn't all that sturdy. It wasn't designed to hold anything up.

I've had quite a few requests for this bike, and I have made a version of the RoboBrackets that fits on the Turbo City windshield bars. (see attached photos). This is a much more solid arrangement.

------------------------------------------

So from my understanding the DR350 RoboBrackets should work on the DR650 Turbo City brackets but you may want to verify this with Madstad.

Now I just have to figure out if the TC brackets will
clear my Safari turn signal brackets still allowing use of the factory steering lock

RiDR screwed with this post 01-08-2010 at 06:45 PM
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #263
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fuzz
I think I am slowly getting the screen positioned properly. I put in some spacers to position the screen more upright and it seems to have improved the turbulence quite a bit. I rode to work today into about a 30km/h headwind at a speed of about 95km/h and it wasn't too terribly bad. I might try it a bit more upright yet to see if it gets any better.
Another trick D-Fuzz is to make two little extenders for the sides of the headlight surround where it screws to the frame, so you can move the surround forwards (maybe with optional extra holes for fine tuning) and give you some more locations to try. Mine was doing the same as yours initially but the variations created by the adjustment have made it perfect for me now.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #264
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
The madstad robo product with the Turbocity brackets answers my adjustability need with one wrinkle.

I need about 1" of vertical rise to be comfortable standing up, and I like the Turbocity brackets and windscreen, but I don't want to buy only to find out I cannot raise the bars.

So in the form of a question, is anyone using the Turbocity windscreen with handlebar risers?

basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #265
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
DR windshield

Got a garage sale windshield for my DR.

It works OK, but the bugs and rain hit my helmet faceplate, so started experimenting with different angles. Saw all the top lips on your pictures, so decided to temporarily add one of my own.

Took a pair of scissors to a gallon plastic antifreeze jug and made a lip. Attached it with binder clips and really enjoy the performance. Now the bugs and rain rarely hit my faceplate and the wind noise is about half of previous level.

Got a used piece of 1/4" lexan from a friend and cut out the shape. Will take it to work and use the large oven in the lab to heat to 325°F and bend the top lip and the rounded curve. Hope it works as well as this garage sale small windshield.

My plan is to use the larger new shield for long rides and tuck the small one in the luggage for doing back roads and trails.

Here's a picture of the modified garage sale windshield with the paper clips.

Dave
Attached Images

smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #266
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Windshield for Honda

Here's a picture of the windshield I made for my old Honda CB250 Adventure bike. I used 1/4" tinted lexan for this, and heated to 325°F for 15 minutes and bent around a 5 gallon bucket to get the curved shape.

Dave
Attached Images

smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #267
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,394
Hey basketcase ...
The easy way around this ..... is to buy new handlebars (Instead of risers) with a larger rise then the stock bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase
The madstad robo product with the Turbocity brackets answers my adjustability need with one wrinkle.

I need about 1" of vertical rise to be comfortable standing up, and I like the Turbocity brackets and windscreen, but I don't want to buy only to find out I cannot raise the bars.

So in the form of a question, is anyone using the Turbocity windscreen with handlebar risers?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #268
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Wicked

This thread has almost as much info as the boot thread over in the equipment section. I decided on the TCI windshield. I liked the sturdy mounting brackets and the reviews were pretty good.

I went for a small ride after I installed it and I think this will work out just fine(easy peasy install by the way).

Pics:

I notice a little more wind noise when I'm out on the highway but I wear ear plugs anyway-no biggie(it is a motorcycle after all ).

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #269
outwestrider
Felicissimo!

Oddometer: 12
My Spit-Fire mount from awhile back

I rarely post, but lurk often here and on other sites. Awhile back Nordie Boy helped me get some photos up of my Spit Fire screen mounted to my 05' DR. I've since threaded the posts a bit more and cut them down even further - created more layback to the screen (reduced the buffeting to almost nill) the wind still pushes the right side of the number plate back towards the instrument lights over 75mph, but otherwise it's still working well.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...een-roundup/20
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain
outwestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #270
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
An unrelenting wind blast to the chest and torso tires me out and diminishes the fun of the ride for me so a windshield is one luxury that I really appreciate.

After looking at the various options I went with the Spitfire windshield and it serves that wind-blocking purpose. After I installed it I thought to myself, "I could wish for it to be about 2" taller to get the buffeting off the forehead of my helmet."

I got one inch when I installed a set of bar risers. I'll get the other when I install a Sargent low seat.

Front view --

The crowded handlebars -- note the windshield thumb screws and see comments below.

The thumb screws keep working their way loose so I end up checking them on the move. Eventually they may "settle" and stay tight, but plan B is to replace them with a set of allen head bolts and a dab of blue loctite.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote