Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #301
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post
How does thinner plastic (from a rubbish bin) do at highway speeds (70+ mph) ?
Dunno. That would be loss of licence speeds on our highways.

But according to a crash test brother, it's stable up to 130kph (bouncing off the limiter in 6th gear).

The triangulation and folds keep it solid even though it's only about 2.5mm thick.
You've got a mission to bend the stuff to make it in the first place.

The TT headlight shroud is rubber mounted top and bottom as well. The DR one is a bit more solid to start with.
The gap at the bottom is very important too.

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #302
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

Oddometer: 568
Solid enough

I've had my DR up to 109mph,(just couldn't get to 110), and the screen was solid as a rock. Just a couple of tips...

If you use polycarbonate it will be heavier, and when you heat it and bend it it will get brittle and crack in the bends. Been there, tried that.

When you bend the center, don't crease it all the way. Leave about an inch or so at the bottom uncreased, and the two bottom folds will be easier to make. There also will not be as big a gap at the bottom between the screen and the fairing.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #303
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart View Post
I've had my DR up to 109mph,(just couldn't get to 110), and the screen was solid as a rock. Just a couple of tips...

If you use polycarbonate it will be heavier, and when you heat it and bend it it will get brittle and crack in the bends. Been there, tried that.

When you bend the center, don't crease it all the way. Leave about an inch or so at the bottom uncreased, and the two bottom folds will be easier to make. There also will not be as big a gap at the bottom between the screen and the fairing.
Thanks lstewart. How are you bending the plastic? Just applying pressure, without any heat gun?

I was thinking of two mods (to your mod)

1. Not doing the center crease at all, or keeping the bend very minimal. A more flat front look. What do you think?

2. I was thinking about bending the front face out a little at it's top edge, i.e. a lip. Any thoughts? See the top edge here:

I'll post up some pics after I've destroyed a dozen trash bins
discoganya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #304
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

Quote:
Thanks lstewart. How are you bending the plastic? Just applying pressure, without any heat gun?

I was thinking of two mods (to your mod)

1. Not doing the center crease at all, or keeping the bend very minimal. A more flat front look. What do you think?

2. I was thinking about bending the front face out a little at it's top edge, i.e. a lip. Any thoughts? See the top edge here:

I'll post up some pics after I've destroyed a dozen trash bins
Yeah, I wanted to try try that roll at the top. Let me know how that works.

The trash cans I use are really about the same thickness as the fairing, so you can easily bend and crease it. I found the key is to make good lines, and work the crease a little at a time, and you really don't have to fold it that much. Just enough to make a line and shape it.

Nordie, I was loking at your screen and it looks like your number plate is more vertical. Just to play around with the angle, try this... Get two sheets of poster board. Lay one flat on the number plate and trace it out, then cut that as a base. With the other one, draw a triangle 15" tall, 8 " wide at the top, center the point on the number plate, then fold the sides up until you get the angle you want, then mark where the top corners of the number plate meet the sides. Cut from the point to the marks, then place that triangle on top of your base. Cut the base down the center, flatten it out, and your screen will perfectly match you number plate. Might cost you $2 and 30 minutes, but could be worth it.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #305
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Nordie, I was loking at your screen and it looks like your number plate is more vertical. Just to play around with the angle, try this...
I made a pile of versions from desk blotter paper until I got the angles I wanted.

Basically started with the width I wanted at the top to match the number board, then the height to get the centre triangles, then the next triangles to produce the required angle.

Of course, after all that fluffing around, it ended up almost the same as your DR measurements

I can get away with a more vertical screen as it's only a little 350 and runs at 100kph and below

With the hole at the bottom I don't get any turbulence and it's still far enough away to not bother me as the TT gets raced in cross countries and I can't be buggered removing the screen :)

It's just as good as the Givi I've got on the DR.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #306
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I made a pile of versions from desk blotter paper until I got the angles I wanted.

Basically started with the width I wanted at the top to match the number board, then the height to get the centre triangles, then the next triangles to produce the required angle.

Of course, after all that fluffing around, it ended up almost the same as your DR measurements

I can get away with a more vertical screen as it's only a little 350 and runs at 100kph and below

With the hole at the bottom I don't get any turbulence and it's still far enough away to not bother me as the TT gets raced in cross countries and I can't be buggered removing the screen :)

It's just as good as the Givi I've got on the DR.
I've made several at different angles and heights also. Funny thing, the first one I made just on instinct and appearence, was the best angle and height.

Another change I made was removing the bolts, (as they were a pain to get to, and required permanent holes), and started using 2" wide industrial strength velcro. Definitely the best way to secure it. Mount and dismount it easily in seconds, no holes to drill and line up, and no tools required.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #307
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I've made several at different angles and heights also. Funny thing, the first one I made just on instinct and appearence, was the best angle and height.

Another change I made was removing the bolts, (as they were a pain to get to, and required permanent holes), and started using 2" wide industrial strength velcro. Definitely the best way to secure it. Mount and dismount it easily in seconds, no holes to drill and line up, and no tools required.
Interesting! How do you stick the female Velcro to the fairing?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #308
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,403
I'll bet 3M Dual Lock would be ideal. The adhesive backing is super-duper sticky, and the velcro-side holds like crazy glue. It's like Velcro on steroids.

http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...-Fastener.html

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #309
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

Quote:
Interesting! How do you stick the female Velcro to the fairing?
The backing of both halves are adhesive. It's plenty strong as long as you clean the surface first.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #310
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The backing of both halves are adhesive. It's plenty strong as long as you clean the surface first.
Thanks, I like the idea of not drilling into the fairing and causing permanent change. I will post up some pics this weekend.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #311
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
I'll bet 3M Dual Lock would be ideal. The adhesive backing is super-duper sticky, and the velcro-side holds like crazy glue. It's like Velcro on steroids.

http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...-Fastener.html

Depends on the rubbish bin...
I put a steeker on mine and it lasted 10secs before it fell on the ground...

Just got some of the dual lock.
Bluddy good stuff.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #312
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Done and some pictures

Turned out to be the simplest mode ever. Only problem was that I first started with a brittle plastic basket from Walmart (Mainstays). The plastic was hard and had a matte/rough finish. Tried to bend it a couple of times and it would snap. Next, I picked up a Sterilite brand waste basket from Target. The smooth and glossy/reflective plastic cut and bent very easily. I used the top lip of the basket at the top of the windshield

Also using Velcro was arguably the best idea. Takes all of 1 second to put on and take off.

I've kept the screen at 15+ inches now, because I stand at 6'2" ... but may reduce that if I feel that visibility has been compromised. I've also not made the center crease ... may do that too. Velcro makes it easy to take off and play with. Here are some pics (sorry crappy iPhone cam)

A BIG thanks for lstewart for his idea. You should patent the idea. I'd be happy to pay your a royalty!

discoganya screwed with this post 09-10-2011 at 06:59 PM
Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #313
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Test rode the setup for about a 100 miles today, riding around Northern California with my friends Shadow cruiser. The screen reduces wind blast significantly, especially off the chest. The ride is much more comfortable. Velcro stays in place 100% firm. At speeds below 65 mph, the screen provides excellent protection... 65-75 it vibrates a bit and causes the headlight fairing to vibrate too. Above 75 it is calm again. Stays firm till 90 (as indicated by the speedometer, not actual).

Thought you'd enjoy some pics my ride --

Old 09-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #314
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

Quote:
Test rode the setup for about a 100 miles today, riding around Northern California with my friends Shadow cruiser. The screen reduces wind blast significantly, especially off the chest. The ride is much more comfortable. Velcro stays in place 100% firm. At speeds below 65 mph, the screen provides excellent protection... 65-75 it vibrates a bit and causes the headlight fairing to vibrate too. Above 75 it is calm again. Stays firm till 90 (as indicated by the speedometer, not actual).

Thought you'd enjoy some pics my ride --

Looks good. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #315
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
DR windshields

Nice job on the windscreen. I don't have much extra time anymore (3 yrs into my Hodaka Wombat restoration) so when I do, I like to ride. When deciding I needed some wind protection getting to the good trails, I picked up this JustForBikes screen from down under. $130.00 to my door. Good to 95mph and does not get beaten up when misjudging (crashing) the terrain. When time presents itself I'd like to replicate your screen, it's very Dakar looking!
Attached Images

Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote