Old Vespa wind deflector made short to suite DR650
[IMG][/IMG]

DustiZoki screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 02:08 PM
DustiZoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #333
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,124
I spent the time to hard-mount my Laminar wind screen two days ago. it was, up til then, moutned with the velcro tabs. They worked well for holding it on, but short-changed the design in a number of ways that didn't seem to work for the soft-fairing of the DR650SE.

I am not so sure the DR650's soft plastic fairing is up to it, but so far I have much less flexing going on at speed, and a noticeable wind-blocking effect that the Laminar should have had all along. (What I mean is that the widscreen may get pushed on more, now, but then again it may not now that I have the laminar airflow working and a lot less vacuum behind it.)

I spaced out the Laminar windscreen to allow the 'hole' to suck in air so that not as much of a vacuum would happen behind it. This is the way it was designed to be used, but at least on my application on the DR650 it wasn't really working - the hole was both too close to the stock fairing, and the windscreen would flatten out at speed making the hole close up.

So this is what I came up with. Interestingly enough, and for future reference to all of us guys who 'fix' things, some really perfectly sized rubber washers/spacers are 1955 Chevy Bel Air motor mounts... and from NAPA auto parts they are far, far cheaper than any smaller spacer I had looked at between there and two hardware stores. (The NAPA guy, who had worked at NAPA stores for decades, used the same motor mounts / rubber washers to space out and isolate his air conditioning unit from a roof of one of his houses, and has suggested them for other "spacing" projects others have needed throughout the years.)

I don't know whose theory works out better for windshields - that they should have a hole in them to allow air in that will get sped up by the suction and form an area of less turbulance, or that windscreens shouldn't have an air gap (as many of the home-made and the more race-oriented ones do) and, instead, they should be able to not bend back due to the low pressure behind them, thus being a total air block. But apparently my Laminar was made to have the air gap, and without it being accounted for - and without upper braces to hold the wind screen up (which Laminar winshields do not come with) - the windshield just flexes backward.

I haven't tested this set-up at 80 MPH or more yet, but up to 60 it is far more stable, and I can feel the breeze turbulance behind it on my chest without feeling the full wind-blast on the chest.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #334
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I don't know whose theory works out better for windshields - that they should have a hole in them to allow air in that will get sped up by the suction and form an area of less turbulance, or that windscreens shouldn't have an air gap (as many of the home-made and the more race-oriented ones do) and, instead, they should be able to not bend back due to the low pressure behind them, thus being a total air block. But apparently my Laminar was made to have the air gap, and without it being accounted for - and without upper braces to hold the wind screen up (which Laminar winshields do not come with) - the windshield just flexes backward.
My Bama fairing on the TT has a gap and that makes it work as well, if not better, than the bigger Givi on the DR...
Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #335
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I like the LED's in your hand protectors. I only have the bark busters on mine, but if I ever add the plastic guards I'll probably do the same. For now, with Florida heat, I don't see why I'd need any extra hand guards blocking the wind (which helps to keep me cooler).
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #336
malmon
unknown noobody

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I don't know whose theory works out better for windshields - that they should have a hole in them to allow air in that will get sped up by the suction and form an area of less turbulance, or that windscreens shouldn't have an air gap (as many of the home-made and the more race-oriented ones do) and, instead, they should be able to not bend back due to the low pressure behind them, thus being a total air block. But apparently my Laminar was made to have the air gap, and without it being accounted for - and without upper braces to hold the wind screen up (which Laminar winshields do not come with) - the windshield just flexes backward."

I haven't tested this set-up at 80 MPH or more yet, but up to 60 it is far more stable, and I can feel the breeze turbulance behind it on my chest without feeling the full wind-blast on the chest.

Seeing the MadsTad airflow diagram (I would prefer an actual motion of airsmoke flow than a written presentation if they have it). Theoretically, turbulence can be created or affected by such gaps underneath but I would also take into consideration other factors such as seat/rider height, distance of torso/head from the shield, curved or flat dimensions, smooth or bent tip, shield height, and position (how vertical it can get). For highway slabbers who occasionaly dips in the 90mph (like me ) and a first gen fz1 user with a rifle 20 inch windshield, these factors do get critical.

With all the informative posts in this thread (big thank you to all who shared these variety of good windshield options ), made me rule out some ideas I had but still figure out which would really fit the new to me DR650. The research and experiment continues...
http://malmonfz1.imgur.com/
malmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #337
malmon
unknown noobody

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDakaR! View Post
ROFL I ran to the garage with the under-sink trash !
Spent a good fucking amount of time measuring and cutting and cutting again,

It fucking didn't look as fucking dope as your fucking dakar fucking fairing!

i want one, i cant fucking make one right to save my fucking life.

how many army of starving little kids in Tajikistan, or some other fuckin housing project of a country did you hire to make yours all that fucking nice?

CAN YOU TELL I AM PISSED AT MYSELF, now i gotta ride to goddamn target to pick up more trash fucking things, fucking fuck I hate that place!

Funny post, hope he got what he wanted...
http://malmonfz1.imgur.com/
malmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #338
DRV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Screens for bikes 1" headlight extension

I've been running a SFB for some time now and I like it, However, I found it to be a bit to much in my face, so I decided to modify the headlight mounting on the bike to give me a bit more space in the dash area as well as move the fairing top out and forward. I have had it out for about a 100 mile test ride, road and dirt and it works great. I'm a shorter guy and was getting some buffeting in certain instances even though the SFB was mounted up off the fairing. in the dirt I can get all over the front wheel and the windscreen is not in my business.

bikes on the stand when set down brake line moves and there is a clear view of the vapor
Old 12-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #339
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Looks nice and clean ! Does it push the air over your head ?
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #340
DRV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhawk View Post
Looks nice and clean ! Does it push the air over your head ?
Hey Thanks, In fact it does, prior to the relocation, the wind off the top of the screen would hit just under my visor it was pretty noisy, even riding with earplugs you could hear the wind . Now, the wind noise has been greatly reduced and I'm not exercising my neck muscles.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #341
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustiZoki View Post
Old Vespa wind deflector made short to suite DR650
[IMG][/IMG]

I know this is the windshield thread... but what crash guards / tank guards are those?? They look really nice.

If you bought them, where can I buy a set? If you made them, can you post more info and photos, so I can try to build a set too? Thanks!
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #342
12Bong13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart View Post
Cost about $6 total. That's for two of them!

I still have a little buffeting around my head, but it's not trying to lift my helmet anymore. Front end stays stable up to 90mph.
Digging up an old post I know, but how to you make the bend?? Heat gun and ruler?
12Bong13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #343
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

Oddometer: 568
Neither

How to video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXMrd7EylCw
Old 02-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #344
12Bong13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart View Post
Thanks!
Now I will try to adapt this to my KLR!
12Bong13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #345
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
I have a 2007 DR and my Dad just bought a new (leftover) 2013. We both just installed the National Cycle Deflector Screen on our bikes. It fits great and looks good too. This windshield sells new for about $100... but they are really easy to find used. The secret is that Harley Sportster guys love this windshield. I got mine used on Craigslist for $25, and Dad bought his at a bike parts swap meet for $20. SCORE! We both had to peel some Harley Davidson stickers off of them too...
Although we have the exact same windshield, we installed them differently.
I mounted the windshield clamps to my front turn signal mounts, and installed the whole windshield over the stock headlight shroud. (black and white bike)
Dad cut the bottom 2'' off of his windshield and attached the mounting clamps to his handlebars. The windshield was installed so that it was tucked behind the stock headlight shroud. (grey bike)

Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote