Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #76
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer
Hi Neville,

I believe that's the one Doug suggested, so that's two votes already. I was just trying to keep cost down since I still need a tank, risers, a rack, luggage rails....you know how it goes.

Sarah
Sarah, I bought my DR from a guy that put a Cee Bailey screen on. The Cee Bailey has been reported to be kind of floppy at highway speeds, but the PO did a simple brace set up that works really well. Cheap too. Rock solid and keeps the wind off my torso, upper arms and shoulders and keeps my head in clean air. No buffeting. I really like this set up (I also have a DL 1000 V Strom), so I know what works for turbulance/wind protection, etc. Just check out some of the posts for V Stroms.

Here's a few pics. I also put a strip of clear, door edge protector along the top edge of the shield (like I did on my old 200+ mph Busa-old sport biker trick), and that makes it about perfect, for me. I run a Corbin seat, Pro Taper bars and am 5' 10" tall, w/ 29" inseam.

Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:59 AM   #77
Zerocrash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I run the Cee Baileys tinted screen. It certainly does wobble at speed. I just have some shop rags stuffed behind the headlight untill I get around to making some brackets.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2008, 04:14 AM   #78
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog
Here's a few pics. I also put a strip of clear, door edge protector along the top edge of the shield (like I did on my old 200+ mph Busa-old sport biker trick), and that makes it about perfect, for me. I run a Corbin seat, Pro Taper bars and am 5' 10" tall, w/ 29" inseam.
i can't quite see what the stiffeners are fastened to... are they tied to a bar clamp of some kind?

so, you're saying once you support the headlight shroud so as to reduce flexing, the shield works pretty spiffy, right?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:42 AM   #79
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

other Puigs

i was looking for that F650 Puig screen.... haven't found, but my eye did fall on this one, for FZ1.... this looks like it could be adapted, and has the concave 'bubble' that allows more room for us tall people to do the tuck.

i'll flip over to the yamaha shop with my tape measure and see what the width is of those mounting holes, compare to DR shroud...

Old 02-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #80
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
i can't quite see what the stiffeners are fastened to... are they tied to a bar clamp of some kind?

so, you're saying once you support the headlight shroud so as to reduce flexing, the shield works pretty spiffy, right?
That's it! The screen is plenty solid mounted up that way. The light gage aluminum flat stock (1" wide), has one end bent at a suitable angle to mate up flat with the inside of the headlight shroud and the other end is thru bolted to a light gage clamp on the bar. I fine tuned the angle of the screen with spacers between the screen and the headlight shroud. This set up is darned near perfect. A shorter rider could cut some of the material off the top of the screen if they wanted to get a more custom fit. The design of the Cee Bailey screen is wide at the top, unlike some others out there. I think this is one of the reasons the screen works so well and keeps the wind off the shoulders and upper arms.

I'll try to post up some better photos later on today.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #81
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Zapp, Here's a couple of more pics of the brace for clarity.

The last one is my doggie, Jake.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #82
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

FZ1 and...

great pictures!
your asst. Wrench-artist looks very capable.

OK gang I'm on the hunt for gently-used or aftermarket FZ1 screen.
I went to the dealer and took some carefull measurements. the lower 2 pairs of mount holes will work like magic on the DR. The uppermost pair will be in the air, and would make an enticing position for a couple of supportive struts.

z
Old 02-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #83
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,607
Jake is as cute as a button, Dave. And that's a nice setup on your bike. Thanks again for the seatpan, too.

Sarah
Old 02-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #84
Lefty52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Anyone have experience with the MRA "Roadshield" from Twisted Throttle?
Lefty52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #85
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,468
Quote:
This is a Maier Sport shield:

Anybody try something like this on a DR? Do you suppose the 2-point mount would be stable at Interstate speeds? Maier makes a variety of shapes and sizes like this one. I have an old National Cycle Street Shield EX but it's quite a bit bigger and the 4-point mount will be unhandy to rig up on the bike. Would you all have any idea which affects handling the least, the handlebar mounted shield or one that bolts to the number plate? Thanks very much.

Sarah
Sarah,
There is a fellow I have been talking with from the Yahoo Dr board that use just that screen and raves about it.

He mounted it behind the stock DR gauge shield and adjusted it to suit.
I plan to try the same one.

I can forward his bad photos to you if you like...

Best,
Rob

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:17 AM   #86
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Rob,

I'd like to see photos if you want to send them to dsgreer@scrtc.com. There's a guy on Thumper Talk who's tickled with the Turbo City screen, took it on an 800 mile trip and got better mileage compared to the Spitfire. But at the same time he also increased tire pressures so that could have helped mileage too. I'm a member of the Yahoo Group, I'll do some searching over there. Thanks again.

Sarah
Old 02-11-2008, 04:50 AM   #87
Lefty52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
The one question I have about the Turbo City screen is, is it adjustable? At the price it's going for I'd hope so
Lefty52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:26 AM   #88
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,468
Quote:
Rob,

I'd like to see photos if you want to send them to dsgreer@scrtc.com. There's a guy on Thumper Talk who's tickled with the Turbo City screen, took it on an 800 mile trip and got better mileage compared to the Spitfire. But at the same time he also increased tire pressures so that could have helped mileage too. I'm a member of the Yahoo Group, I'll do some searching over there. Thanks again.

Sarah

Sarah,
I'll send them later this afternoon, EST... I don't know if he posted any shots on the Yahoo site, he may have before I joined.
There are so many good screen choices that I just need to go try one that I think makes sense. Charlie swears by this one.
Later,
Rob

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 AM   #89
greer
Beastly Adventurer

I'll be on the lookout for the pictures Rob, but no rush or hassle.

Lefty, I'll bet if we sit tight CaptTurbo will chime in with more details on the Turbo City screen. I'm thinking I read on the TC site that it is not adjustable. If it'd help me on gas mileage I'd probably go for it. Course you'd have to save lots on gas to make up for the cost of the screen.

Sarah
Old 02-11-2008, 07:06 AM   #90
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Hello Sarah. The turbocity shield is not adjustable as it comes from them but it's easy to make adjustments yourself. The screen is pre drilled but you can just move it up or down and drill new holes. There is about two inches to work with if you're going higher. For me, I like it the way it comes though I'm toying with the idea of making it a little more vertical by adding some spacers in the upper holes. At first I thought I wanted to move the screen up two inches but decided to wait and get more familiar with it. I'm about 5'10" and the wind breaks at about my neck level so my chest and shoulders are protected from wind blast and the air at helmet level is pretty clean. Hope this helps some who were curious about this screen. Neville.