User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #91
loaf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wicked Stoc KLR 'shield on a DR

I also have the stocker off the KLR and it works decent and i got it for free (Huge pic i know
loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #92
Lefty52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Thanks for the info Capt. I like the idea of a screen that can be dialed in to meet my needs i.e. 6'1". Spending $160.00 and then having to drill new holes doesn't seem like that makes for a good buy. The MRA "Roadshield" is climbing to the top of the list @ $75.00
Lefty52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 AM   #93
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Lefty,

But how much is the mounting kit?

Sarah
Old 02-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #94
Lefty52
Adventurer

Mounting kit is included with the shield. If you go to twistedthottle.com and do a bike specific search you'll see that the site lists bikes that the universal mount system works on. Let me know if I'm wrong
Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #95
greer
Beastly Adventurer

I'm thinking you'll need a mounting kit; but maybe I'm confused. Holler back. Thanks.

Sarah
Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #96
Lefty52
Adventurer

Maybe I could get some help in reading all the words and not just the ones I want to see. Sarah, you are spot on, it will be another $45.00 for the bracket. Still I like the idea of having a screen that's adjustable, and it's less money than the TC screen.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #97
endurotour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
yes its the klx, but the mould is for the dr, and soon there will be a drz being used in the shed.. there made in melbourne, cost me 130 Aus for the screen, mounted up with llight / lense cover and the fuel tank custom inserts..
cheers al
Attached Images

endurotour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #98
Lefty52
Adventurer

Sarah,
Just looked @ J.C. Whitney and the Maier "Cruiser Style" shield looks like a good fit as well. Good price too $84.95 I must say I like the looks of the blue MRA as my bike is the same.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #99
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Lots of handlebar mounted shields here:

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...DB7953F8FD19A3

Goodness, what a link. Hope it works.

Sarah
Old 02-23-2008, 03:57 AM   #100
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Bumping this just in case anybody has new pictures or info to add.

Sarah
Old 02-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #101
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
longshot - but I just bought a madstad mount for my vstrom windshield. looking at the way its made, it would not be that difficult to adapt this to the DR, using stock vstrom screens [which people throw away]. the beauty is that it would standoff a couple of inches, so the shield isn't aimed at your torso, and it is fully adjustable, can stand almost vertical or lay back sharply.

meanwhile, i like the big klr or the XR650L screens mentioned herein, or similar. because, any shield that just attaches to the DR's shroud is in the wrong place unless it swoops up at parabolic angle. i want the option of not impaling myself in a getoff

waiting on delivery of the FZ1 screen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greer
Bumping this just in case anybody has new pictures or info to add.

Sarah
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #102
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
longshot - but I just bought a madstad mount for my vstrom windshield. looking at the way its made, it would not be that difficult to adapt this to the DR, using stock vstrom screens [which people throw away]. the beauty is that it would standoff a couple of inches, so the shield isn't aimed at your torso, and it is fully adjustable, can stand almost vertical or lay back sharply.

meanwhile, i like the big klr or the XR650L screens mentioned herein, or similar. because, any shield that just attaches to the DR's shroud is in the wrong place unless it swoops up at parabolic angle. i want the option of not impaling myself in a getoff

waiting on delivery of the FZ1 screen...
Zapp,
Could you post a few pics of the Madstadd pre-install? I am thinking of giving them a try as well to see if I can improve my Dakar install. The Madstadd sure does look to be a universal possibility...TIA

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #103
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by endurotour
yes its the klx, but the mould is for the dr, and soon there will be a drz being used in the shed.. there made in melbourne, cost me 130 Aus for the screen, mounted up with llight / lense cover and the fuel tank custom inserts..
cheers al
I think I'm gonna cut mine in to something more like this. Looks Cool. Do you get much buffeting with this configuration?
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #104
BooneDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
Funny you're talking about using a Madstad Vstrom mount. Not related exactly to the DR, but very similar as far as putting a windscreen on it...

I just today was working on a quick detach mount for a stock Vstrom screen on my KTM. Still it development, but my rides today, up to 90mph were awesome, it's like a touring bike. Whole assembly on and off in about 30 seconds with RAM mounts, one plug from bike to dash gives power to fuse box under dash, which provides all the fuses/power to the dash that will be GPS, Voltmeter(the led in front), one Powerlet outlet, one regular cigarette type outlet will be mounted either side of the LED voltmeter, and switchable driving lights mounted on front.

Here's a couple photos, but very rough at this stage.

Of course, I'm going to fill it the open space with black or orange reflective to hide the brackets and back of the GPS, and take off the SUZUKI emblem...

When I had a DR650, I did the Buell headlights and windscreen. that was nice also, but not nearly the protection this full Vstrom screen gives.

Maybe this will give you some good ideas.

-------------------------------------
Yamaha FJR1300AE
KTM 625 SXC

BooneDog screwed with this post 02-23-2008 at 07:33 PM
BooneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:50 AM   #105
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Buffalo dan and Ona , et al Dakar shield flailers...

on stock late model DR shroud, what mods did you make to the screen or the shroud to get best fit and upright angle?

i need to post pics of the FZ1 experiment... the good news is that if flows just like the stock shroud, no turbulence. the bad news is it follows the line of the top of the shroud, so its menacing my torso in case of a forward vault offff, and also is not in the right place for a highspeed "tuck".....
hence the question about the more upright rallye shield of the Dakar.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR
bmw gs650 dakar shield, fits the lines of the 400 great. I bet the 650 shroud is the same mold.

Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote