User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #106
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
That is AWESOME Boone.
I have worked and worked with the V-strom screen trying to make it come out right [which is why I'll be working the madstad approach... it may just 'work'...]. The closest I come to nirvana is running it upside down...but I really want to run it rightside, with much reduced rake vis-a-vis the top angle of the stock shroud... stand it up which is apparently what you've figured out.

can you tell us more about your mounts? how did you stiffen or support the shroud?

The vstrom shield is the right size for this job..... if we can just get it sorted

edit: maybe too simplistic, but I think I'll buzz over to Home Depot and pickup a couple of standard lumberstuff L-brackets... just straight 90-degree pieces, then bend to suit the angle I'm after, affixing one 'leg' to the shroud and the other for the windshield. It will probably flop around due to the flex in the shroud so any ideas on that would be welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneDog
Funny you're talking about using a Madstad Vstrom mount. Not related exactly to the DR, but very similar as far as putting a windscreen on it...

I just today was working on a quick detach mount for a stock Vstrom screen on my KTM. Still it development, but my rides today, up to 90mph were awesome, it's like a touring bike. Whole assembly on and off in about 30 seconds with RAM mounts, one plug from bike to dash gives power to fuse box under dash, which provides all the fuses/power to the dash that will be GPS, Voltmeter(the led in front), one Powerlet outlet, one regular cigarette type outlet will be mounted either side of the LED voltmeter, and switchable driving lights mounted on front.

Here's a couple photos, but very rough at this stage.

Of course, I'm going to fill it the open space with black or orange reflective to hide the brackets and back of the GPS, and take off the SUZUKI emblem...

When I had a DR650, I did the Buell headlights and windscreen. that was nice also, but not nearly the protection this full Vstrom screen gives.

Maybe this will give you some good ideas.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #107
mdwilliDR650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
ZAPP, did you install a Dakar Windscreen on your bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
Buffalo dan and Ona , et al Dakar shield flailers...

on stock late model DR shroud, what mods did you make to the screen or the shroud to get best fit and upright angle?

i need to post pics of the FZ1 experiment... the good news is that if flows just like the stock shroud, no turbulence. the bad news is it follows the line of the top of the shroud, so its menacing my torso in case of a forward vault offff, and also is not in the right place for a highspeed "tuck".....
hence the question about the more upright rallye shield of the Dakar.....
mdwilliDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #108
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Buffalo dan and Ona , et al Dakar shield flailers...

on stock late model DR shroud, what mods did you make to the screen or the shroud to get best fit and upright angle?

i need to post pics of the FZ1 experiment... the good news is that if flows just like the stock shroud, no turbulence. the bad news is it follows the line of the top of the shroud, so its menacing my torso in case of a forward vault offff, and also is not in the right place for a highspeed "tuck".....
hence the question about the more upright rallye shield of the Dakar.....
Zapp, no mods to the screen. I just used a long bolt with a section on fuel line over it, then double nut the bottom where it hits the stock screen.
That way you can adjust the angle till your happy then lock it down.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #109
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,539
Here's my latest application for the two of you that pm'd me about it. Yes, I cut it down on the sides and gave it a bit more "rally" look.

neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #110
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
Great idea ...

Hey BooneDog,

Great idea .... How is the project coming ???
Can you post some additional photos ?? It would be great to see the bracket assembly up close.

Thanks - Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneDog
Funny you're talking about using a Madstad Vstrom mount. Not related exactly to the DR, but very similar as far as putting a windscreen on it...

I just today was working on a quick detach mount for a stock Vstrom screen on my KTM. Still it development, but my rides today, up to 90mph were awesome, it's like a touring bike. Whole assembly on and off in about 30 seconds with RAM mounts, one plug from bike to dash gives power to fuse box under dash, which provides all the fuses/power to the dash that will be GPS, Voltmeter(the led in front), one Powerlet outlet, one regular cigarette type outlet will be mounted either side of the LED voltmeter, and switchable driving lights mounted on front.

Here's a couple photos, but very rough at this stage.

Of course, I'm going to fill it the open space with black or orange reflective to hide the brackets and back of the GPS, and take off the SUZUKI emblem...

Maybe this will give you some good ideas.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #111
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwilliDR650
ZAPP, did you install a Dakar Windscreen on your bike?
I have not.
can't find one w/o going brand new, which is too much for an experiment. I don't know if its just the way I sit on the bike or what, but all efforts at windscreens that go in FRONT of the stock shroud have beeen bummers.... too much turbulence. The converse is true of my experiments BEHIND the shroud. So I'm wondering now about the KLR screens....

Neepuk, what tool do you use to cut that stuff? I have a dremel but I don't think I can hold a straight line with that thing.... I have skill saw but its abusive: too much jitter.
Rotary saw.... cant finesse the curves. I don't have a tablesaw or bandsaw
Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #112
Caribou Aqua Buddha
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,983
The way I do curves is to make it square Corner radius on the band saw, main cuts with my cordless trim "skill" saw, with a fine tooth blade.

Caribou Aqua Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #113
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Neepuk, what tool do you use to cut that stuff? I have a dremel but I don't think I can hold a straight line with that thing.... I have skill saw but its abusive: too much jitter.
Rotary saw.... cant finesse the curves. I don't have a tablesaw or bandsaw
I used a jig-saw with a metal blade on it. I put some shelf-paper on the screen to protect it from scratches.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #114
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Another version of modded windshield

I tried my previous bike's(FZ-1) windshield on the DR650 and it seems to suit fine.

Took 4 holes with my drill, $2 worth of nylon screws from Home depot + 30 mins of my time to get this done. Overall a great improvement over the stock setup for my mostly highway riding.

For the inquiring minds the windshield is a tinted Gustaffson for the FZ1( 1st generation).

Looks lot better in person, the picture was taken on my cell phone.
Attached Images

fizzerfz1 screwed with this post 06-05-2009 at 07:41 PM
fizzerfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #115
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Thumb

I'm there, bro'.
FZ1 dimensionally works.
z

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1
I tried my previous bike's(FZ-1) windshield on the DR650 and it seems to suit fine.

Took 4 holes with my drill, $2 worth of nylon screws from Home depot + 30 mins of my time to get this done. Overall a great improvement over the stock setup for my mostly highway riding.

For the inquiring minds the winshield is a tinted Gustaffson for the FZ1( 1st generation).

Old 04-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #116
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
year ?

Hey fizzerfz1 .....
For reference - what year of FZ1 is that windscreen for ???
Thanks - Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerfz1

For the inquiring minds the winshield is a tinted Gustaffson for the FZ1( 1st generation).

Old 04-17-2008, 04:05 AM   #117
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Fizzer,

Can you tell us where the wind hits you at highway speeds. Thanks

Sarah
Old 04-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #118
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftee
Hey fizzerfz1 .....
For reference - what year of FZ1 is that windscreen for ???
Thanks - Larry
Mine was 2002 ( aka gen1 in the fz1 group). This was an aftermarket 'Gustaffson' windshield.

Cheers...

fizzerfz1 screwed with this post 04-17-2008 at 01:40 PM
Old 04-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #119
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Hi,

The wind hits me at the neck level, I am about 5 ft 8 in and would have liked it better if it were another 2 inches taller. But still this makes a huge difference over the stock setup.

I have another Gustaffson which is a bit taller and might try it out soon. The other one is clear and did not look as good as this one on my FZ1.

Cheers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greer
Fizzer,

Can you tell us where the wind hits you at highway speeds. Thanks

Sarah
Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #120
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Quote: