Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2008, 03:57 AM   #121
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,656
Thanks fizzer. The National Cycle on my bike provides good coverage but it is LOUD. I'm not sure I'm satisfied with it. Thanks again.

Sarah
Old 04-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #122
BooneDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Sorry about the slow reply, I've been away from this forum for a while Larry.
I've got the additional parts I was waiting for, a small fuse box for powering all the stuff on the windscreen, and my powerlet outlets. I hope to get some things done this weekend, I'm splitting my time between a few other projects.

It looks like it's going to work really well though.(bags are just bungied to SW-motech rack to see how they look/fit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftee
Hey BooneDog,

Great idea .... How is the project coming ???
Can you post some additional photos ?? It would be great to see the bracket assembly up close.

Thanks - Larry

-------------------------------------
Yamaha FJR1300AE
KTM 625 SXC
BooneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #123
OCblue650
Where'd everybody go?

Oddometer: 63
Vstrom screen

Hey gang - I have been lurking in this thread for awhile considering a windscreen for my DR - as the time approached for WARPED I really wanted to get somthing for the long road trip. Anyway a friend gave me his slightly used stock vstrom screen and I have been doing some experimenting - the biggest flaw is that I have never owned a bike with a proper windscreen so I have no idea what it "should" be like. SO here is what i have figured so far - I am working with a right side up configuration only and using threaded 10/32 stock and fuel line for mounting - two stand off pegs mounted to the stock shroud (similar to the cee baily or nepucks mounting) and lower stock holes on the vscreen and two long rods from the stock upper holes on the vstrom screen to bar clamps on the handle bars - with the vscreen starting about a 1/3 of the way up on the stock shroud, about 1.5 inches off the stock shroud and running at about the same angle of sweep as the stock shroud - this seems to be about as good as I can get it, my chest is completely clean and while it seems a bit loud there is no buffeting at the helmet. I tried standing it up more but got alot of buffeting and if I lower it much the wind breaks on my neck and shoulders and it is louder. I may play with it some more ont he way to WARPED - I will post some pics when i return.
Polaris 250
OCblue650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 AM   #124
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
procycle-slipstreamer?

anyone have actual experience with the slipstreamer carried on the DR650 specific Procycle page??

http://www.procycleinc.net/bikepages/dr650.htm

i like a minimalist approach... I looked at Slipstreamer lists and couldn't identify this particular screen... it may be one of the Scooter-specific ones...

problem is I have very little room on the handlebars... would prefer mount to riser bolts
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #125
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
This is probably the SlipStreamer Tombstone HD-3. Try to Google SlipStreamer HD-3 and you should get some matches.

I believe that Procycle Jeff's bike has this on. http://www.procycle.us/dr/windscreen.jpg

I haven't read any negative comments so this should be doing it's job well and only a few people have it as of now. I personally like the looks and was leaning towards this before I installed the one I had from my previous bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
anyone have actual experience with the slipstreamer carried on the DR650 specific Procycle page??

i like a minimalist approach... I looked at Slipstreamer lists and couldn't identify this particular screen... it may be one of the Scooter-specific ones...

problem is I have very little room on the handlebars... would prefer mount to riser bolts
fizzerfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #126
ryde4ever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
The Slipstreamer Spitfire S-06 is inexpensive and easy to remove when heading to the trails. I like how it works but I had a little trouble initially getting the mounts on. The cross bar kept covering up the hex heads when I got it positioned right. It works pretty good. A little head buffeting above 70mph. You can find them new on ebay motors for around $50 including shipping. The easy removablility is high on my requirements.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SLIPS...3756.m20.l1116
ryde4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:08 AM   #127
greer
Beastly Adventurer

I need a little lip/flip thingy

I need to add a little flip-up to the top of my shield, like the lip on a Dakar shield. I think that will take care of the buffeting. A Laminar Lip costs as much as the shield itself. Any cheaper ideas??

Sarah

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-27-2008, 02:24 AM   #128
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer
Any cheaper ideas??

Sarah
I just think it's a mistake to put a windshield on there. Doesn't cost anything. I hate the damn things...better to just slide back on the seat and lean against the smooth and undisturbed airflow.

But that's just me. Nice bike.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #129
greer
Beastly Adventurer

I'm with you Klay, at speeds of 60 or so and below, but above that for any length of time it gets rough, for me at least. We're heading to Alaska in June and I'll need a windshield.

Sarah
Old 04-29-2008, 05:15 AM   #130
Lefty52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
After looking at the options, reading the posts and riding the bike for long periods of time, I've decided. I'm going with the KLR stock(not the tall) windshield. Reasons being, inexpensive($45.00), easy to install, looks almost stock, and after riding at 50-60 MPH there isn't as much wind pressure as I've experienced on other bikes. Having said that, I like the idea of having a screen to catch a few more bugs, deflect a little more rain and move the air a little higher off my chest (I'm 6'1"). The one caveat, there are years when the top of the KLR shield curved toward the rider and others when it curved away, (kind of like on a Dakar), so I made sure to get an 06 shield as I wanted the curve away from me to bring the air higher. Hope this helps. I'll post again when it's installed and tested.
Lefty52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #131
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
I need to add a little flip-up to the top of my shield, like the lip on a Dakar shield. I think that will take care of the buffeting. A Laminar Lip costs as much as the shield itself. Any cheaper ideas??

Sarah

[IMG][/IMG]
Check out the Saeng winglets, lots of adjustment for angle of deflection, not sure if they are less $$.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #132
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,373
MRA VarioTouring Extension Spoiler

Hey Sarah....
This ....MRA VarioTouring Extension Spoiler is not cheap but I'm thinking it would do the trick, and would look great on your National Cycle Screen

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2710/339/

I know that it worked on my DL650 - (complete preassembled MRA VarioTouringScreen windshield), (with a few washers to tip the bottom out) that was pre MadStad bracket. It was the fifth windscreen that I tried on the V-Strom and the only one that took away the buffeting for me.

The VarioTouringScreen features a 7-position adjustable (without tools) spoiler at the top of a TouringScreen-shaped windshield. The adjustable spoiler can be used to redirect airflow to suit the rider.

Larry

Quote:

Sarah

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #133
mikeprod92211
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 589
I have a Slipstreamer Spitfire....works great, easy to take off, inexpemsive!Name:  Wildflowers Joshua Tree NP March 08 023_Small.JPG
Views: 4452
Size:  29.1 KB
Old 05-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #134
unravels
Hi

Oddometer: 57
I bought one of these for a 1200 mile trip, it worked ok, while it did block some of the wind it created so much turbulence it seemed like it defeated its purpose, I almost think I would have been better off without it except that when it rained it blocked some of it. I am 5'10, and it seemed like if I were 4 inches shorter it would have worked better. I played around with moving back and forth on the seat and lowering my head, if I were shorter it would have been less turbulent. The noise was still bad even with ear plugs.

On another note the mounting interfered with the cross bar on my pro-tapers, cr-hi, so to put on and take off the windshield you have to remove the crossbar, not the end of the world but annoying.

I mounted the shield in front of the headlamp fairing, the pic on the procycle website shows it mounted behind the headlamp fairing, dont know if this would have made a difference, but mounting it behind the fairing seems like it would allow water to drip behind the fairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22

unravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:09 AM   #135
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Bob and Larry

I'll check out both options. We've cut 1.5" or so off the top of the screen, and it's actually better buffeting-wise, but still loud as all get out. I'm still tinkering.

Sarah