User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Finger Mullet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Working Man's Costa Rica Ride

Hey there, first ride report. I'm posting this report for all the lurkers and such (like me) that read about these awesome month long and longer adventures some of you guys get to take that most of us can't......at least not currently.

Little background. I had "use it or lose it" vacation days at work and HAD to take the week of Thanksgiving off work. I was going to ride my Adv around Florida and maybe head over to New Orleans.......when my girl says ... and I quote "Why ride around Florida, you could go to Costa Rica, rent a bike and ride around there while I visit my sister" lol yes dear, let me look into it.

After a little research I find two bike rental shops in San Jose CR, one rents KTMs (too much cash for me) and the other rents xr250's and such but all they got for the week I'm going is a Honda NX4, basically a 400cc street bike they re sprung, put knobs on, re-geared and added high fenders...... but they say it is off road worthy and it's only $300 for the week so I take it. wtf I'm going on vacation solo....lol.

Day 1

I arrived in CR late Saturday night and partook in some San Jose nightlife....sorry no pics.

Sunday morning around 10ish I hook up with Thorston and get a peek of my new to me girl for the week. Here's a pic of Thorston and my loaner girl.

Me loaded up and ready to go......ya I'm smiling under my helmet.

The destination for Day one is Montezuma or somewhere close I hope......of course I proceed to get lost as soon as I head out of San Jose. Here's a map of route I took day one.

Asking Directions up the mountains from San Jose..... I gotta get to Puntarenas before 5pm so I can catch the 5:30 ferry

Lost but havin fun....beautiful country.

Woo Hoo found the "highway" to Puntarenas

Made to to Puntarenas but it's 4:45......there has to be a ferry around here somewhere...lol

There's the ferry....pay my $6,000 colones..($12 dollars) for a ticket for me and my bike.

Bike is secure.....and the bikes get loaded before cars.

Well, we're off to the pennisula.....I hope I can find Montezuma tonight in the dark.....no more pics for Day 1.

Finger Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,901
You're doing great so far!

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
Finger Mullet OP
Adventurer

Working Man's Costa Rica Trip

Day 2

Well I did find Montezuma last night around 10pm and checked in to the first hotel I found.....having no idea where I was....a whopping $25/night....lol

The view from my hotel balcony.

I get a nice local breakfast, load up the bike and head out around 9am...... Montezuma is real nice.

This is the riding path I took for day 2.......approximately... I was a little lost some of the time, but I had my trusty boating compass...

Good Start...this is Fun!!

First get off!!......probably not the last BTW the pic does not do justice as to how steep that trail was...lol

After fighting the bike out of there....I was waaaay hot and winded....oooh a nice cool stream and a good place to take a break from the heat.

While I was laying there cooling off and having a snack, some monkeys started shaking the trees and even threw some fruit at me......I guess I was in their spot.

Listen to this video I took while laying there.....kinda spooky at first...lol...damn howler monkeys

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v461/flfingermullet/?action=view&current=MOV01107.flv

Nice country

Want a mountain dew in the rain forest....here ya go......a shack in the middle of nowhere.....my "waitress" really seemed to like the bike and the gringo on it.

This road was a "highway" on my map .....lol

Another River I crossed

Woo Hoo the Pacific Coast.....I know where I am now.

Damn another river crossing....this is getting old. This river was deep in spots and a little fast, I took this pic after crossing.....notice the local police standing by and the guy that stalled his yz in the river lol.

Thank god ...... I'm shot but I made it to Samara.......damn No Waves!!!! Oh well this is a biking trip, so no surfing.

Samara was kinda busy and it was tough to get a hotel room ......... so I had to get a delux suite for $35 ..... lol......It was nice thou

Cooked some food, drank some wine and crashed.

PS......Finger Mullet Boot drying technique

Finger Mullet screwed with this post 12-08-2007 at 10:57 AM
Old 12-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,812
This looks FANTASTIC . . . and affordable. My kind of vacatioin. Please, don't stop. Keep it commin'.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Pwhallon
Noob

Oddometer: 141
Thumb good stuff

Pwhallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Wild Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Thumb

Great report Finger Mullet!!
Looks like it was the right decision to fly to Costa Rica and not to ride around in Florida.

Quote:
I arrived in CR late Saturday night and partook in some San Jose nightlife....sorry no pics.
Too bad you don't have that part of your trip well documented.

You have some kitchen skills!
Wild Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
jimboo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Thumb

Great photos, keep it commin'!
jimboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,403
Awesome! I've been wanting to do this....

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,966

Costa Rica is on the 'list'. May get a day ride in '09.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
Finger Mullet OP
Adventurer

Day 3

Today's plan is to head to Liberia for the night and explore Rincon de la Vieja tomorrow. It's a volcanic national park that looked cool on the map..... and I needed a break from river crossings and wanted to see somthin different.

But life never seems to go as planned, I wake up to a flat rear tire, well break out the tire irons and patch kit, tire repair Costa style.

So after the tire repair, a couple liters of water for me (it was hot and I'm from Florida) and breakfast....I'm off at about 11am.

Here's a pic of the route I rode today, a little slab and lots of hard pack curvy dirt roads with no cars = Sport Bike fun ADV Style.

This part of Costa was mostly pasture cattle land, not too much to see but a fun nice change.

Then in the middle of nowhere I come across this "Bar" somewhere between Filadelfia and Liberia.....so I pull over and take a monkey butt break. These two locals INSIST I have a Cervesa and a Tequila Shot..... well considering I had not seen a car in over two hours, I was ATGATT and that I still had another hour of desolate dirt roads....I comply.....ya know ...when in Rome.

The rest of the days riding was uneventful and I made it to Liberia, plugged the camera in the charger and had some fun with the locals for the night.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #11
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,310
Nice trip and report. The bike you rented, Honda Falcon 400, is very popular here in Brazil and very reliable. My brother has one. I believe the one you are riding is manufactured in Brazil and exported to Costa Rica, not sure.
Keep posting please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Hey there, first ride report. I'm posting this report for all the lurkers and such (like me) that read about these awesome month long and longer adventures some of you guys get to take that most of us can't......at least not currently.

Little background. I had "use it or lose it" vacation days at work and HAD to take the week of Thanksgiving off work. I was going to ride my Adv around Florida and maybe head over to New Orleans.......when my girl says ... and I quote "Why ride around Florida, you could go to Costa Rica, rent a bike and ride around there while I visit my sister" lol yes dear, let me look into it.

After a little research I find two bike rental shops in San Jose CR, one rents KTMs (too much cash for me) and the other rents xr250's and such but all they got for the week I'm going is a Honda NX4, basically a 400cc street bike they re sprung, put knobs on, re-geared and added high fenders...... but they say it is off road worthy and it's only $300 for the week so I take it. wtf I'm going on vacation solo....lol.
VDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Great report and pics,please bring more...

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Mullet

While I was laying there cooling off and having a snack, some monkeys started shaking the trees and even threw some fruit at me......I guess I was in their spot.
Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas any more.

Great monkey noises. Sure glad I wasn't there in the middle of the night by myself.

Great report - keep it coming.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #14
Finger Mullet OP
Adventurer

Day 4

I check out of my hotel early, because they don't serve breakfast or even coffee, so I'm off on a back road I saw on my map that should take me to Rincon......I'll stop for breakfast and coffee on the way. I'm on the bike by 7:30 am.

Here's a pic of the path I rode today.

On this path to Rincon I spot a sign that says International Restarant with Breakfast....some sort of bed and breakfast I assume......it's just outside the Rincon Nat. Park......so I follow the sign's directions up a steep rutted out road.

Looks good so far.

This place is cool

The view from the table

Breakfast...first course

After some excellent eggs, taters and tostones (plantains) I'm off....btw breakfast was $1,900 colones (<$4 dollars)

There's a volcano up there somewhere.

Well as it turns out ya can't ride a bike or car up to the top of the volcano......it's like a seven hour hike......so I just cruise around the park and take it in.......it's nice and cool ...mid 50s

Sulfur pit area.....nature always amazes me.

Well at this point I had enough of the volcano and wanted to do some fun riding, I find a local with no shirt and dreads (obvious surfer) driving a mini van full of tourists to the volcano and asked him where he would ride if he was me........no hesitation......his answer was Santa Rosa.

Woo Hooo gotta luv locals I'm off!! Looks like an hour & 45 minutes away.

Santa Rosa is a killer national rainforest park as it turns out. Path into the park.

Yeah some more fun riding

I hate rocks

This trail is supposed to lead to the beach, I must almost be there, but mangroves.....I'm a Florida Boy and I KNOW mud is real soft around the groves, but hey I know what I doing....I'm a Cracker

LOL BIG MISTAKE.......Shortly after this pic I'm stuck like no tomorrow....lol......It takes me about two hours to dig, push, etc the bike out.....by then it's dark.....I never saw a person the whole time and almost hiked it out....but it was 21 km.

So I get the bike loose and go thru all the above pics in the dark and stop at the picnic table/camping area it's now about 7pm.

Not a single person in the camping area.....and the howler monkeys are howling...lol

Alright I'm beat......I got some h20.....and it's over an hour to the closest village....I'm camping...damn it's dark...I need a fire.

Hey this is kind of nice....excellent stars and a nice full moon.

I'll check back in the morning, unless the howler monkeys get me .... lol......but I got fire

Old 12-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #15
Odysseus
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
Great report! Keep it coming

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote