User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Direktor OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Balkan tour – Dubrovnik, Međugorje, Mostar, Sarajevo

First of all, hello to everybody. This is going to be my first ride report on this forum and I want to warn you that english is not my first language, so if there will be same mistakes or misunderstandings, please don't be mad on me! I read a lots of rider reports on this forum and I finally decide to write my own report. Trip which I am oing to describe I have done this summer, and I take a similar tour like mr. Linza, which is also member of this forum and as I saw he describes his tour few month ago. But, I will descibe this tour on my own way, and I will try to put as many picures as I can upload.

I am driving Kawa Z750 which is 1 year old, and it was my longest trip which I have done with this motorcycle. I started this trip with few friends of mine, there were driving different type of motorcycle. Plan was to visit Dubrovnik, Međugorje, Mostar and Sarajevo. At that time in Sarajevo one of local motocycle club (MC Walter) was celebrate its 10 anniversary so we decide to join then at the end of our journey. So, let's begin...

This is a map of my tour:

I was really overloaded when I start my tour.

We start trip early in the morning and our first stop (after about 4 hours of driving) was at the Adriatic coast near Makarska. We were stoped by firemans and policeman, because at that time there were a lot of fire at a coast.

We continued our trip, and at the end of the first day we decide to take a rest period (one night with lots of beer ) in a small village and small harbour named Slano.

About Slano
Slano is situated at the end of a beautiful, deep 2 km long inlet, represents an attractive resort due to its many pebble beaches, rich vegetation and mild climate.
Slano is a village in the bay of the same name. It is 30 km northwest of Dubrovnik, with population 512 settlers. Farming, olive-growing, viniculture, fruit-growing, tobacco, herbs (sage, laurel, woodworm), fishing and tourism are chief occupations. Slano lies on the main road to Dubrovnik. The area of Slano was populated already in the prehistoric period (ruins of a hill-fort and tumuli on the nearby hills) and in the ancient times (a Roman castrum on the hill Gradina; early Christian sarcophagi, today exhibited in front of the Franciscan church). In 1399. Slano fell under the rule of the Dubrovnik Republic; once the duke's seat (duke's palace, reconstructed at the end of the 19th c.).

Next day we continued our trip to Dubrovnik.
About Dubrovnik (http://www.dubrovnik-guide.net/)
The today's name of Dubrovnik is derived from the Croatian word Dubrava, which means oak woods as, in the past, oak trees surrounded Dubrovnik. The Latin name Ragusa - Rausa, in use until the 15th century, originated from the rock (lat. Lausa - meaning rock) where the first settlement was established. Dubrovnik was founded in the first half of the 7th century by a group of refugees from Epidaurum (today's Cavtat). They established their settlement at the island and named it Laus. Opposite of that location, at the foot of Srđ Mountain, Slavs developed their own settlement under the name of Dubrovnik (named by "Dub" - type of wood). The settlements were separated by a channel which was filled in 12th century, present Placa or Stradun, and since than the two settlements have been united. At that time the city walls started to be built as a protection from different enemies ( Arabs, Venetian, Macedonians, Serbs, etc.), who wanted to conquer Dubrovnik...rest yo can find on web page, I just put some copy/paste text.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Direktor OP
Studly Adventurer

More pics from Dubrovnik. I am not sure how many pics I can put in one post...

Old 12-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,754
Nice Pics... Met a great rider in Alaska from Slovenia this summer... will be headed there next summer for a Balkan tour myself... Keep it up ...

Can't wait to see more of the area...
Old 12-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Hallo,greetings to Croatia,was there 2 Years ago,only for a few days (had 24 hrs. raining in a tent... ) ,but I come again.

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Direktor OP
Studly Adventurer

I have a small problems with imageshack, so all others pics I put on this:

http://picasaweb.google.hr/ivica.stavljenic/DUBROVNIK

After all day we spend in Dubrovnik we decide to visit Medjugorje.

Međugorje/Medjugorje (www.medjugorje.org)
Medjugorje ("between the hills") has become well known in Bosnia-Hercegovina, and the world, because of six young people who claim to have seen visions of the Madonna. Beginning on June 24, 1981, the Blessed Mother appeared to, and later told the visionaries God sent her to our world to help us convert our hearts and lives back to Him. Our Lady's call is one of Peace, Love, Faith, Conversion, Prayer, and Fasting. We are each challenged to answer Our Lady's call to change our lives, and hearts back to God. The following articles, interviews, and testimonies provide a well rounded, and accurate account and perspective of one of the greatest events in modern history.

Rest of pictures: http://picasaweb.google.hr/ivica.stavljenic

Medjeugorje is about 30km far from Mostar, so in a normal condition it takes about 30 minutes to get there but in our case we needed 2 hours

Mostar is a city and municipality in Bosnia and Herzegovina, the center of the Herzegovina-Neretva Canton of the Federation. Mostar is situated on the Neretva river and is the fifth-largest city in the country. Mostar was named after its Old Bridge (Stari most) and the towers on its sides, "the bridge keepers" (natively: mostari). The bridge was destroyed by Croatian Defence Council units during the Bosnian War, on November 9, 1993 at 10.15 am. Slobodan Praljak, the commander of Croat forces is on trial at the ICTY on charges of the bridge destruction among others...

Rest of pics: http://picasaweb.google.hr/ivica.stavljenic

And finally Sarajevo. After cruising almost 5 days throught Bosnia we get at our destination.

Sarajevo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarajevo)

Sarajevo is the capital city and largest urban center of Bosnia and Herzegovina, with an estimated total population of approximately 400,000 people. It is also the capital of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina entity, and the de jure capital of the Republika Srpska entity, as well as the center of the Sarajevo Canton. Sarajevo is located in the Sarajevo valley of Bosnia proper, surrounded by the Dinaric Alps and situated around the Miljacka river. The city is famous for its traditional religious diversity, with adherents of Islam, Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and Judaism peacefully coexisting there for centuries. Although settlement in the area stretches back to prehistoric times, the modern city arose as an Ottoman stronghold in the 15th century. Sarajevo has attracted international attention several times throughout its history. In 1914 it was the site of the assassination that sparked World War I, while seventy years later it became the host city of the 1984 Winter Olympics. More recently, Sarajevo underwent the longest siege in modern military history during the Bosnian War. Today the city is recovering and adjusting to a post-war reality, as a major center of culture and economic development in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

http://picasaweb.google.hr/ivica.stavljenic/Sarajevo

I really hava a problem with imageshack, so I put all my pics on Picasa.
I hope that you enjoy reading this report.
Thanks for reading, nice greetings from Croatia,
Ivica
Old 12-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Jorjao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Nice... would love to that trip!... maybe one day!
Jorjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Thanks for the tour of the Balkans and the historical narrative, let's hope for a long lasting peace.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,297
Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing them.

P.S.- your english is fine
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
Tripod
waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer: 1,138
Great write up. I was in Croatia this past spring (cage ), but didn't manage to get that far down on the coast. What a beautiful country.

The locals in the small towns made you feel right at home. Friendly, warm people.

Istria region was my favorite:
Old 12-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,188

Wow, that brings back memories...I've passed through this passage by boat many times as a child.

Looking forward to the rest of your ride report and your pictures!!!

[Hijack on]We used to spend at least 4 weeks every summer in a small village on the coast, Seline, which is about 3 km south of Starigrad (not far from Zadar).

We usually camped in a villager's yard and took extended excursions in our little runabout boat. Best time of my life...I remember how excited my siblings and I would get when we would reach Zagreb, because we knew we were getting closer to the coast. Then, finally-Rijeka! We could smell the salt water before reaching the coast line and we couldn't wait to catch that first glimpse of the water. Through the city and then a few more hours along the coast to the final destination.

We explored a lot of the small islands by boat and went down to Split and as far as Dubrovnik. Living like a gypsy back then, snorkeling and diving for mussels and crabs everyday for lunch and dinner, water skiing and buying juicy water melons at the market.

Funny story: When I got older-I traveled back down there with my friend Marco on the bikes, stayed with the same family...I remember arriving late at night, must have been 11:30 or later and a Bora (big storm building up over the inland mountains that brings very heavy winds and tends to last for a few days) was starting to let loose over the coast line. I ran to my friends house, who promptly dragged us both inside and proceeded to celebrate our arrival with copious amounts of Slivovica. We were tired from riding for two days straight in crappy weather and rain and hadn't eaten, so we ended up completely drunk in no time flat.

2 hours later we attempted to pitch our tent in the now raging winds of the Bora and failed miserably. We pretty much gave up and crawled into a semi set up tent, hoping it wouldn't fly into the sea with us. We passed out despite the storm and woke up the next morning to a devastated camp ground on the beach. Several camper trailers had been washed into the sea by the heavy winds, boats were turned over and many tents were flattened. Ours was already flat, so we didn't look too silly after all

Great times, I'll never forget.

[/hijack over]

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #11
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
funny thing about this, i was in dubrovnik when that fire started, maybe we were around there the same time? i know i spent my birthday on august 6th at kravic waterfalls near mostar

did you go through bugojno? my good friend Hamza Malbasic lives there! haha i doubt you ran into him

Clem Kevin screwed with this post 12-09-2007 at 12:20 AM
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:10 AM   #12
Direktor OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin
funny thing about this, i was in dubrovnik when that fire started, maybe we were around there the same time? i know i spent my birthday on august 6th at kravic waterfalls near mostar

did you go through bugojno? my good friend Hamza Malbasic lives there! haha i doubt you ran into him
Well maybe we see each other somewhere on the coast, I was in that area from 13.08 up to 19.08. Next time we need to
I didn't stopped in Bugojno, I just pass near, so I don't know your friend Hamza, but I think next summer I am planing to go on similar tour, so who know, maybe I meet him!
About Waterfalls Kravice, I was there. They are situated near Ljubuski, I think it is about 20-30km from Mostar. Waterfalls are lie on Trebižat river. Here are some photos from that location.

Baywatch :

Old 12-09-2007, 05:57 AM   #13
kkahlm
Kelly

Oddometer: 124
Excellent. Thanks for taking us to your part of the world.

2008 VSTROM 650
kkahlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #14
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings

Wow, that brings back memories...I've passed through this passage by boat many times as a child.

Looking forward to the rest of your ride report and your pictures!!!

[Hijack on]We used to spend at least 4 weeks every summer in a small village on the coast, Seline, which is about 3 km south of Starigrad (not far from Zadar).

We usually camped in a villager's yard and took extended excursions in our little runabout boat. Best time of my life...I remember how excited my siblings and I would get when we would reach Zagreb, because we knew we were getting closer to the coast. Then, finally-Rijeka! We could smell the salt water before reaching the coast line and we couldn't wait to catch that first glimpse of the water. Through the city and then a few more hours along the coast to the final destination.

We explored a lot of the small islands by boat and went down to Split and as far as Dubrovnik. Living like a gypsy back then, snorkeling and diving for mussels and crabs everyday for lunch and dinner, water skiing and buying juicy water melons at the market.

Funny story: When I got older-I traveled back down there with my friend Marco on the bikes, stayed with the same family...I remember arriving late at night, must have been 11:30 or later and a Bora (big storm building up over the inland mountains that brings very heavy winds and tends to last for a few days) was starting to let loose over the coast line. I ran to my friends house, who promptly dragged us both inside and proceeded to celebrate our arrival with copious amounts of Slivovica. We were tired from riding for two days straight in crappy weather and rain and hadn't eaten, so we ended up completely drunk in no time flat.

2 hours later we attempted to pitch our tent in the now raging winds of the Bora and failed miserably. We pretty much gave up and crawled into a semi set up tent, hoping it wouldn't fly into the sea with us. We passed out despite the storm and woke up the next morning to a devastated camp ground on the beach. Several camper trailers had been washed into the sea by the heavy winds, boats were turned over and many tents were flattened. Ours was already flat, so we didn't look too silly after all

Great times, I'll never forget.

[/hijack over]
Streetlegal thanks for Your RR, It's nice to see your RR on this forum, and make us al very proud to have such a beautifull country .

2Wings Thank You for some great words. Liked your little story very much!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #15
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,689
Did you go "kod zelje na cevape" while you were in Sarajevo. I miss my home :(