User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
dougs650 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Chapter One

More than once now, it has been suggested that I write a report about my adventure home after purchasing a 91 GSPD. So, here it goes with some background. I have developed a real appreciation for the BMW GS lineage, starting with a used 650GS, and now with the 1200GS. In light of the interest, I became more intrigued with the earlier designs known as the air heads, courtesy of some riding buddies.

After many internet searches, and related online studies, I homed in on a year range, specifically 1991-1995. In addition, upon further discovery, I wanted the Paris Dakar setup, in white and red. After reading numerous articles, and learning that 1991 was last year BMW could legally use the words 'Paris Dakar' on their bikes, I had a specification.

My search was on for a 1991 BMW R100GS Paris Dakar. Knowing that I would have to look at the national level, I consulted a friend that suggested several web sites, and eBay, so I started looking around. In a relatively short time, I found one listed on ibmwr.org and it appeared to meet my requirements in terms of price and condition.

In short, I was soon booking a flight out to Burbank, CA. with the intent of riding it home to Texas. The previous owner was very accomodating, and picked me up at the airport.

Here it was in his garage... the before.

Here it is now at home... the after.

As with all my threads, this will be completed in multiple parts that will span 4 very, very full days as I rode from Burbank, CA. through Phoenix, AZ. across Silver City, NM, and back.

Stay tuned.

Doug...
1995 BMW R100GS
1992 BMW R100R The R/T Project
1991 BMW R100GS PD
1981 BMW R80G/S PD

dougs650 screwed with this post 06-14-2008 at 11:40 AM
dougs650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 3,002
Can't wait! Hurry up and tell us!
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,851
Thanks for the intro

Let's go!
Old 05-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,085
Ahhhh, my all time favourite bike, nice buy
Old 05-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,515
You are going to love it! A '91 R100GS Paris Dakar was my first dual-sport... Definitely one of the coolest looking ADV bikes ever made. Though I was partial to the teal/black color scheme!

Not my bike, but same color scheme.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
dougs650 OP
Beastly Adventurer

the start

The previous owner was very accomodating and wanted to ensure that I was comfortable with the purchase. With a open exchange via email, followed with a telephone conversation, we agreed to a price and the adventure was a go.

I took Southwest Airlines from Love Field in Dallas, with a connection in Phoenix to Burbank. I recall taking off from Phoenix, realizing that later that evening, in reality early the next day, I would be back. After landing in Burbank, and waiting to be picked up at the airport, I wondered how long the rain that was coming down would last. After all, this was sunny southern California.

Darin showed up in a few minutes, and we were off to his place to iron out the details. After arriving, and looking the bike over it, the PD was much as expected. Clearly it had been ridden, and worthy of a new home. After a run around the neighborhood, in the rain, we completed the deal and enjoyed a tall beer.

After adding my GPS, hooking up my heated vest, loading up the side cases, and strapping on some miscellaneaous baggage, I was off in the rain, at dusk, in rush hour, through the thick of Los Angeles, on an unfamiliar bike and a destination 350 miles away. The adventure had started. As the night fell, and the precipitation continued, I was glad to have my trusty Garmin Quest 2 providing the guidance. While I do not recall the exact route, I made it through hours of traffic and finally made it onto I10 heading to Phoenix.

After the congestion thinned out, and with temperatures dropping, I pulled into a gas station to warm up with a cup of java. After all it was still January, I was climbing in elevation, and it was still drizzling. After enjoying the coffee, and topping off the bike with gas, I thought 'boy I am glad I have the heated vest and the heated grips'. Little did I know.

Doug...
1995 BMW R100GS
1991 BMW R100GS PD
1981 BMW R80G/S PD

dougs650 screwed with this post 06-11-2008 at 09:42 AM
Old 05-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs650
Little did I know.
Sweet bike, can't wait for the rest of the story!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
kres
Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer: 1,197

(Just love that Red & White... )
Old 05-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Beatiful bike. Sounds like a great trip. I did the same thing a month later to get my new bike. Chronicled here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313228

I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am enjoying mine. Looks like a great ride.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
red n. white

had one of those........very nice.......ran much nicer after balancing the rods/pistons and installing light wrist pins....happy spot went from 70 to 76mph......bruce
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 4,136
After enjoying the coffee, and topping off the bike with gas, I thought 'boy I am glad I have the heated vest and the heated grips'. Little did I know.

Good cliffhanger. Alright, I'm hooked.

Osprey! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:02 AM   #12
GS-Jake
All about the Bike

Oddometer: 367
WTF.....well.......come on.......
Old 06-01-2008, 05:10 AM   #13
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,848

PS Nice PD!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:11 AM   #14
dougs650 OP
Beastly Adventurer

into the night

After fighting the Los Angeles traffic in the rain, it was good to stop for a break. The coffee hit the spot and the view of the new machine put a grin on my face. After filling up with gas, I recalled that the range on the PD should be around 300 miles. With Phoenix as the next stop on my mind, I jumped on the bike, and headed off into the emerging fog.

With civilization becoming more and more sparse, and the denisity of 18 wheelers increasing, I slowly opened the baby up. To my enjoyment, I found that I was cruising at 85+ mph with ease. As the night chill slowly penetrated my core, I was glad I had made a reservation at a Motel 6 in Phoenix. I kept up a strong pace, and slowly turned up the vest heat to fight off the cold. After a good 175 miles, I knew I needed a break from the elements, and pounding turbulence coming off the trucks barrelling down the highway.

I peeled off the interstate and pulled into some no name gas station at the underpass. Given I was primarily interested in taking a break, I parked next to the convenience store entrance and peered down at the vagrant leaning up against the wall by the door. He glanced at me bleary eyed displaying his remaining three teeth. After some bladder relief, I poured myself a small cup of coffee and strolled up to the counter to pay. Studying the smalll tattoos scattered about the mans neck and scalp, I remarked that I look forward to making it to Phoenix. Without eye contact and passing me some change, he grummbled 'good luck'.

I sipped on the cup for a few minutes and then tossed the watery remains into the trash. I put on my helmet, gloves, tinkered with a few things, and flipped the power switch. I hit the magic button, and 'click'. ... huh ... I hit it again 'click'.

WTF ?

Doug...
1995 BMW R100GS
1991 BMW R100GS PD
1981 BMW R80G/S PD

dougs650 screwed with this post 06-03-2008 at 03:26 PM
Old 06-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #15
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs650
I put on my helmet, gloves, tinkered with a few things, and flipped the power switch. I hit the magic button, and 'click'. ... huh... I hit it again 'click'.

WTF ?

Doug...
Oh no...

More please.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote